where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
Paper Radiography - Density Measurement
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

Vallen-Systeme GmbH
The Acoustic Emission Company! Since 1987 Vallen stands for competence and continuity in AE and for reliable business cooperation and support.

03:58 Jun-02-2000

David Harvey

Engineering
ATI - Wah Chang,
USA,
Joined Nov 2002
Paper Radiography - Density Measurement

I am dealing with a problem using radiography with a paper, rather than film, imaging medium. We need to establish reasonable densities for radiograph acceptability, and cannot locate any solid information regarding density specification on paper (plenty about film, though). Ultimately, I would like to have an idea if there is any useful correlation between film (transmitted light) and paper (reflected light).
Thank you for your help.

00:45 Jun-12-2000
Norm Woodward
Re: Paper Radiography - Density Measurement : I am dealing with a problem using radiography with a paper, rather than film, imaging medium. We need to establish reasonable densities for radiograph acceptability, and cannot locate any solid information regarding density specification on paper (plenty about film, though). Ultimately, I would like to have an idea if there is any useful correlation between film (transmitted light) and paper (reflected light).
: Thank you for your help.

If the paper is translucent, which is often the case, you may still be able to use the densitometer readings, either zeroing in the base paper electronically, and directly reading the darkened areas, or by subtracting the density of the paper mathematically from that of the image.

If the image is actually digital, and you just want to print out the image on paper, you may want to make a test printout on a piece of mylar and make the initial measurements there.

02:13 Jun-14-2000
Norm Woodward
Re: Paper Radiography - Density Measurement-II : I am dealing with a problem using radiography with a paper, rather than film, imaging medium. We need to establish reasonable densities for radiograph acceptability, and cannot locate any solid information regarding density specification on paper (plenty about film, though). Ultimately, I would like to have an idea if there is any useful correlation between film (transmitted light) and paper (reflected light).
: Thank you for your help.

I looked in our archives, and have come up with more useful information than before.

When we used to use Kodak Industrex 600 paper, we were to use "Publication No. Q-16, Kodak 24-Step Refelection Density Guide," to establish our densities. BTW, the acceptable range at the time was 0.4 to 1.0, with 0.7 considered optimum.

According to the Kodak website, though reflection densitometers are available, Publication Q-16 is still available.

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|