where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
Guided wave for pipe testing
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

ZETEC, Inc.
is your Key Supplier of Phased Array UT and Eddy Current Solutions.– Complete and Fully Integrated!

02:50 Dec-17-2008

Tom

Consultant, -
Datanet Engineering, Inc.,
USA,
Joined Jun 2008
Guided wave for pipe testing

What is the current state of the art available for boiler plants and steam tunnels?
I have been asked about a plant that has piping that ranges from ~10º
C to ~200ºC.

1. Is there equipment which would operate over these temperatures?

2. What are the limitations as far as access and lengths of pipe?

3. What companies should I contact for further information?

4. Who provides equipment rental?

5. Who would provide a turn-key inspection as a sub-contractor?

Normally I would use a Panametrics 37DL Plus and/or a NDT Automation Pocket UT Hand-Held Ultrasonic C-Scan System.

00:07 Dec-18-2008

Sang Kim

Consultant, NDT Trainer
Guided Wave Analysis LLC,
USA,
Joined Feb 2008
Re: Guided wave for pipe testing Tom,

Yes, MsS probe works fine up to 300-Celsius Degree once the probe is bonded with epoxy. The MsS probe can be installed and tested with attached heat tracer line. If one side of pipe is not accessible with other obstacle, MsS probe can generate the guided wave with the access of the other side. The inspection range depends on the operating frequency and pipe condition such as generalized corrosion. If the pipe is ideal, the MsS guided wave system can find 2 or 3 percent defect up to 500 ft along one direction of pipe. MsS operates at wide range of frequency (at each frequency between 10 kHz to 250 kHz) for finding and differentiating defect and geometric features. For further information, please refer to this website ( http://www.gwanalysis.com/mss.html). We can do the feasibility thest with guided-wave system and train your personnel for guided-wave inspection service with equipment rental. I suggest doing comparison test with other long-range guided wave system using piezoelectric discrete transucer rigns. Seeing the data and comparing is believing. If you are interested in using MsS long-range guided-wave inspection, please contact me. I will introduce your company to one of inspection companies using our MsS system.

Thanks,

Sang
----------- Start Original Message -----------
: What is the current state of the art available for boiler plants and steam tunnels?
: I have been asked about a plant that has piping that ranges from ~10º
: C to ~200ºC.
: 1. Is there equipment which would operate over these temperatures?
: 2. What are the limitations as far as access and lengths of pipe?
: 3. What companies should I contact for further information?
: 4. Who provides equipment rental?
: 5. Who would provide a turn-key inspection as a sub-contractor?
: Normally I would use a Panametrics 37DL Plus and/or a NDT Automation Pocket UT Hand-Held Ultrasonic C-Scan System.
------------ End Original Message ------------

17:28 Jan-13-2009
Mark Evans
Re: Guided wave for pipe testing In Reply to Tom at 02:50 Dec-17-2008 (Opening).

Tom,

Here are some quick answers. If you require any further information please contact me or log on to www.guided-ultrasonics.com

1. Is there equipment which would operate over these temperatures?
Yes, on our website you will find and example case study for online pipe inspection at 150C; standard equipment can be used but special precautions and procedures are necessary.

2. What are the limitations as far as access and lengths of pipe?
Access to the pipe is only required a descrete locations, each location should have around 1m of exposed pipe (ie, one section of insulation). Range of inspection depends on pipe and coating conditions. Typical, real world, performance is 100-150ft for unburied pipes. The previous poster gave you the range for perfect conditions which is very rare and so very misleading I'm afraid.

3. What companies should I contact for further information?
Guided Ultrasonics

4. Who provides equipment rental?
Guided Ultrasonics

5. Who would provide a turn-key inspection as a sub-contractor?
There are many US service companies which provide GWUT using our equipment. We would be glad to give you a list of them.

Mark

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|