where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

MASHPROJECT LLC
Experts in hardness testing

Technical Discussions
Tom
Consultant, -
Datanet Engineering, Inc., USA, Joined Jun 2008, 42

Tom

Consultant, -
Datanet Engineering, Inc.,
USA,
Joined Jun 2008
02:50 Dec-17-2008
Guided wave for pipe testing

What is the current state of the art available for boiler plants and steam tunnels?
I have been asked about a plant that has piping that ranges from ~10º
C to ~200ºC.

1. Is there equipment which would operate over these temperatures?

2. What are the limitations as far as access and lengths of pipe?

3. What companies should I contact for further information?

4. Who provides equipment rental?

5. Who would provide a turn-key inspection as a sub-contractor?

Normally I would use a Panametrics 37DL Plus and/or a NDT Automation Pocket UT Hand-Held Ultrasonic C-Scan System.

Sang Kim
Consultant, NDT Trainer
Guided Wave Analysis LLC, USA, Joined Feb 2008, 44

Sang Kim

Consultant, NDT Trainer
Guided Wave Analysis LLC,
USA,
Joined Feb 2008
00:07 Dec-18-2008
Re: Guided wave for pipe testing
Tom,

Yes, MsS probe works fine up to 300-Celsius Degree once the probe is bonded with epoxy. The MsS probe can be installed and tested with attached heat tracer line. If one side of pipe is not accessible with other obstacle, MsS probe can generate the guided wave with the access of the other side. The inspection range depends on the operating frequency and pipe condition such as generalized corrosion. If the pipe is ideal, the MsS guided wave system can find 2 or 3 percent defect up to 500 ft along one direction of pipe. MsS operates at wide range of frequency (at each frequency between 10 kHz to 250 kHz) for finding and differentiating defect and geometric features. For further information, please refer to this website ( http://www.gwanalysis.com/mss.html). We can do the feasibility thest with guided-wave system and train your personnel for guided-wave inspection service with equipment rental. I suggest doing comparison test with other long-range guided wave system using piezoelectric discrete transucer rigns. Seeing the data and comparing is believing. If you are interested in using MsS long-range guided-wave inspection, please contact me. I will introduce your company to one of inspection companies using our MsS system.

Thanks,

Sang
----------- Start Original Message -----------
: What is the current state of the art available for boiler plants and steam tunnels?
: I have been asked about a plant that has piping that ranges from ~10º
: C to ~200ºC.
: 1. Is there equipment which would operate over these temperatures?
: 2. What are the limitations as far as access and lengths of pipe?
: 3. What companies should I contact for further information?
: 4. Who provides equipment rental?
: 5. Who would provide a turn-key inspection as a sub-contractor?
: Normally I would use a Panametrics 37DL Plus and/or a NDT Automation Pocket UT Hand-Held Ultrasonic C-Scan System.
------------ End Original Message ------------

Mark Evans
Mark Evans
17:28 Jan-13-2009
Re: Guided wave for pipe testing
In Reply to Tom at 02:50 Dec-17-2008 (Opening).

Tom,

Here are some quick answers. If you require any further information please contact me or log on to www.guided-ultrasonics.com

1. Is there equipment which would operate over these temperatures?
Yes, on our website you will find and example case study for online pipe inspection at 150C; standard equipment can be used but special precautions and procedures are necessary.

2. What are the limitations as far as access and lengths of pipe?
Access to the pipe is only required a descrete locations, each location should have around 1m of exposed pipe (ie, one section of insulation). Range of inspection depends on pipe and coating conditions. Typical, real world, performance is 100-150ft for unburied pipes. The previous poster gave you the range for perfect conditions which is very rare and so very misleading I'm afraid.

3. What companies should I contact for further information?
Guided Ultrasonics

4. Who provides equipment rental?
Guided Ultrasonics

5. Who would provide a turn-key inspection as a sub-contractor?
There are many US service companies which provide GWUT using our equipment. We would be glad to give you a list of them.

Mark

Product Spotlight

Panther

M2M PANTHER is a phased-array equipment designed for both desktop and industrial applications, offer
ing unparalleled performance in a compact unit. It combines the speed required for industrial integrated Phased-Array Ultrasound (PAUT) solutions, with the most complete set of total focusing method (TFM) imaging techniques, making it the ultimate tool for R&D and procedure qualification.
>

SITEX CPSERIES

Teledyne ICM’s CPSERIES has been designed with a view to revolutionizing the handling and perfor
mances of portable X-Ray sets. Despite having managed to halve the weight of similar portable X-Ray generators available on the market (while continuing to provide the same power output), the SITEX CPSERIES generators feature a shutter, a laser pointer, a beryllium window, an aluminum filter and two integrated diaphragms (customized sizes are available upon request). Without compromising the robustness and reliability for which ICM products are renowned, the small size and light weight of the SITEX CPSERIES will radically change the way that you perform your RT inspections. And you will see a positive impact in terms of both quality and return on investment (ROI).
>

TOPAZ® 64: Fully Integrated Portable 64 Channel PAUT Instrument with FMC & TFM

Introducing TOPAZ64, the industry’s most intelligent fully integrated, portable 64-channel phased
array ultrasound (UT) instrument. TOPAZ64 combines code-compliant phased array UT with the industry’s most advanced full matrix capture (FMC) and total focusing method (TFM) capabilities. Featuring the highest acquisition frequency in its class, high resolution FMC and a 12” multi-touchscreen, users can easily visualize even the smallest flaws. TOPAZ64 can generate a bipolar pulse that provides more acoustic energy versus previous models for punching through thick components. The result is a portable tool that delivers increased inspection coverage, more accurate signals, and the ability to handle all UT inspections in one package. TOPAZ64 is ideal for challenging applications in transportation, oil and gas, manufacturing and power generation.
>

NOVO Armor 15 & NOVO Armor 22

The Armor Kit Contains the NOVO Armor, which provides additional mechanical protection to the NOVO 1
5WN & NOVO 22WN Detectors, the Armor Stand and a traveling soft cover. - Newest shock absorbent technology case - Water resistant design - Supports wired & wireless communication - Multiple positioning options - Tripod connection using the Built-in 1/4” threads - Simple Detector battery replacement
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window