where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

Technical Discussions
youri
youri
01:21 Dec-22-2008
NDT gas distribution mains

At the moment I am conducting a literature survey of available NDT techniques for steel gas distribution mains. These mains suffer from general corrosion, pitting corrosion and cracks.

On the internet and in literature I find several NDT methods, but it is unclear to me which are the most suitable.

Possible options are
Remote Field Eddy Current
Ultrasonic Phased Array
Magnetic Flux leakage
Guided Wave Inspection

However, I don't know what can be used best. For example Remote Field and Ultrasonic Phased array seem to have the same capabilities

Can someone explain what the advantages and disadvantages of above techniques are?

Thanks in advance!

Tom Nelligan
Engineering,
retired, USA, Joined Nov 1998, 390

Tom Nelligan

Engineering,
retired,
USA,
Joined Nov 1998
09:31 Dec-22-2008
Re: NDT gas distribution mains
In addition to the techniques that you have listed, pulse/echo ultrasonic thickness gaging with a simple hand-held instrument is probably the least expensive, and usually highly sensitive to individual pits. Access to the outside of the pipe is required. See the application note linked below for further details.

youri
youri
00:18 Dec-23-2008
Thank you for your reply.
I forgot to mention that the pipes are buried so the use of a pig is needed.

sreeram srinivas
sreeram srinivas
02:50 Jan-09-2009
----------- Start Original Message -----------
: At the moment I am conducting a literature survey of available NDT techniques for steel gas distribution mains. These mains suffer from general corrosion, pitting corrosion and cracks.
: On the internet and in literature I find several NDT methods, but it is unclear to me which are the most suitable.
: Possible options are
: Remote Field Eddy Current
: Ultrasonic Phased Array
: Magnetic Flux leakage
: Guided Wave Inspection
: However, I don't know what can be used best. For example Remote Field and Ultrasonic Phased array seem to have the same capabilities
: Can someone explain what the advantages and disadvantages of above techniques are?
: Thanks in advance!
------------ End Original Message ------------
Eddy current is used for small thickness pipes say below 5 mm. Most of the burried pipelines i.e. gas distribution lines have thickness above 6 mm unless one is doing a precision engineering to save costs. the preferred NDT for burried pipelines are Ultrasoni tests using intelligent pigs, which is a costly exercise done once in 5 yrs on average and is based on regulatory guidelines in respective countries.

Jim Yukes
Consultant
Canada, Joined Aug 2005, 11

Jim Yukes

Consultant
Canada,
Joined Aug 2005
17:08 Mar-12-2009
In Reply to youri at 01:21 Dec-22-2008 (Opening).

You could also consider the ultrasonic IRIS for wall thickness. It can be used as a free running ILI tool to inspect from the pipe ID. It would require a liquid for propulsion (as do most ILI tools) and for locomotion so may be a difficult choice in a gas distibution system.

See www.panamiris.com

cailean
cailean
17:07 Mar-13-2009
In Reply to youri at 01:21 Dec-22-2008 (Opening).

You don't mention pipe diameter's or operating pressure amongst other important information

These will influence what options you have

Product Spotlight

NDT.net launches mobile-friendly design

NDT.net has revamped its website providing a mobile-friendly design.The front page received a comp
letely new design and all other sections are now reacting responsively on mobile devices. This has been a major step to make our website more user- friendly.
>

IntraPhase Athena Phased Array System

The Athena Phased Array system, manufactured by WesDyne NDE Products & Technology, consists of a pha
sed array acquisition system and PC running IntraSpect software. A PC is used to perform acquisition, analysis and storage of the data. System hardware is capable of operating up to four data sets with any combination of phased array or conventional UT probes. NOW AVAILABLE IN 64-64 CONFIGURATION.
>

HD-CR 35 NDT Computed Radiography System

Portable high-resolution CR scanner for all radiography applications - weld testing, profile images
and aerospace. No matter what type of radiographic testing you are performing, the unique TreFoc Technology of the HD-CR 35 NDT imaging plate scanner always guarantees the highest image quality.
>

Ultrasonic Testing Immersion Tanks with Unmatched Scanning Features

TecScan’s non-destructive testing Ultrasonic Immersion Tanks & scanners are designed for high pe
rformance and demanding NDT testing applications. Our Scan3D™ line of High Precision Immersion Tanks are specifically designed for automated ultrasonic testing of complex composites parts used in aerospace and industrial applications.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window