where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

Technical Discussions
Amedeo Marino
Amedeo Marino
04:59 Jun-21-2000
Thickness measurements of a 6" tube.

Dear all,
I have been asked to measure the thickness of the internal wall of a 6" tube, not accessible from outside.
Tubes are 12 meters long.
Does anybody know how to realise this inspection ?
Thank you in advance.

Peter Többen
Consultant
Germany, Joined May 2000, 3

Peter Többen

Consultant
Germany,
Joined May 2000
05:13 Jun-21-2000
Re: Thickness measurements of a 6" tube.

David Hermanutz
Consultant,
Hbndt.com, China, Joined Jul 2012, 85

David Hermanutz

Consultant,
Hbndt.com,
China,
Joined Jul 2012
03:22 Jun-22-2000
: Dear all,
: I have been asked to measure the thickness of the internal wall of a 6" tube, not accessible from outside.
: Tubes are 12 meters long.
: Does anybody know how to realise this inspection ?
: Thank you in advance.

This is a common inspection in the petrochemical industry, thier are several commercial units available in the states. Key search word is IRIS (internal rotary inspection system) I believe one manufacturer is D and M technologies in Texas. Panametrics also supplies of the shelf immersion and squirter probes.

Himanshu Ranade
Director, Application Development
Fallon Ultrasonic (India) Pvt. ltd., India, Joined Apr 2000, 2

Himanshu Ranade

Director, Application Development
Fallon Ultrasonic (India) Pvt. ltd.,
India,
Joined Apr 2000
06:40 Jun-22-2000
You can use a 4-channel Ultrasonic Dimension Monitoring system consisting of PC based pulser receiver, 4 10 MHz. probes including one for continuous callibration and special probe holder which measures the I.D., O.D from the bore at 3 different points and avarages to give the exact I.D., O.D. and Wall thickness with accuracy of 1 micron. The readings are recorded in the PC and can be recalled for analysis. The frequency of probes will depend on the wall thickness of the tubes. The probe holder can either be rotated manually or provided a motor drive. Also system configuration will depend on the accuracy you need and total number of tubes you want to test..You will need to fill the tube with water as this is immersion technique.

If you need any more details you can contact me Himanshu Ranade at echo@vsnl.com

Product Spotlight

HD-CR 35 NDT Computed Radiography System

Portable high-resolution CR scanner for all radiography applications - weld testing, profile images
and aerospace. No matter what type of radiographic testing you are performing, the unique TreFoc Technology of the HD-CR 35 NDT imaging plate scanner always guarantees the highest image quality.
>

NDT Master Lecturer

In the program both university professors and practitioners will give lectures, which guarantees the
oretical depth and practical inside. Academic Director: Prof. Dr. Christian Boller
The following lecturers are not complete: Prof. Tadeusz Stepinski, Prof. Wieslaw Staszewski, Prof. Frank Walther, Prof. Giovanni Bruno, Prof. Gerd Dobmann, Prof. Philippe Guy
>

ISAFE3 Intrinsically Safe Sensor System

ISAFE3 intrinsically safe sensor system of Vallen Systeme is especially targeted at the petrochemica
l - as well as oil and gas transportation industry. The sensor system is designed for permanent monitoring or periodic inspection tasks. Sensors are available for different AE-frequency ranges optimized for corrosion and fatigue crack detection and other applications. The ISAFE 3 sensor system consists of an AE-sensor (model ISAS3) certified according to ATEX/IEC for installation in zone 0, gas group IIC, IP68, 20 to +60 °C, and a signal isolator (model SISO3) certified for installation in zone 2. An ISAS3 sensor can be mounted in atmosphere or submerged, e.g. in water or crude oil. It is supported by mounting tools for temporary (magnets) or permanent (welded) installation. ISAFE3 supports automatic sensor coupling test and can be used with any AE signal processor supporting 28V supply at 90 mA peak, e.g. Vallen Systeme ASIP-2/A.
>

Varex Imaging Large Field of View (FOV) Digital Detector Arrays (DDAs)

A larger FOV DDA can reduce the space and volume of the X-ray inspection system on the factory floor
, enable faster scanning times, better throughput and better resolution images at a lower dose. Customers can also save time and money. With these benefits in mind, Varex Imaging has designed a family of large FOV detectors (4343HE, XRD 1611, 4343DX-I, 4343CT) for our industrial imaging customers.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window
s