where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

VOGT Ultrasonics GmbH
non-destructive testing, services, training, ultrasonic systems, immersion and squirter inspection systems, PROline, digital radiology
Technical Discussions
Amedeo Marino
Amedeo Marino
04:59 Jun-21-2000
Thickness measurements of a 6" tube.

Dear all,
I have been asked to measure the thickness of the internal wall of a 6" tube, not accessible from outside.
Tubes are 12 meters long.
Does anybody know how to realise this inspection ?
Thank you in advance.

Peter Többen
Consultant
Germany, Joined May 2000, 3

Peter Többen

Consultant
Germany,
Joined May 2000
05:13 Jun-21-2000
Re: Thickness measurements of a 6" tube.

David Hermanutz
Consultant,
Hbndt.com, China, Joined Jul 2012, 85

David Hermanutz

Consultant,
Hbndt.com,
China,
Joined Jul 2012
03:22 Jun-22-2000
: Dear all,
: I have been asked to measure the thickness of the internal wall of a 6" tube, not accessible from outside.
: Tubes are 12 meters long.
: Does anybody know how to realise this inspection ?
: Thank you in advance.

This is a common inspection in the petrochemical industry, thier are several commercial units available in the states. Key search word is IRIS (internal rotary inspection system) I believe one manufacturer is D and M technologies in Texas. Panametrics also supplies of the shelf immersion and squirter probes.

Himanshu Ranade
Director, Application Development
Fallon Ultrasonic (India) Pvt. ltd., India, Joined Apr 2000, 2

Himanshu Ranade

Director, Application Development
Fallon Ultrasonic (India) Pvt. ltd.,
India,
Joined Apr 2000
06:40 Jun-22-2000
You can use a 4-channel Ultrasonic Dimension Monitoring system consisting of PC based pulser receiver, 4 10 MHz. probes including one for continuous callibration and special probe holder which measures the I.D., O.D from the bore at 3 different points and avarages to give the exact I.D., O.D. and Wall thickness with accuracy of 1 micron. The readings are recorded in the PC and can be recalled for analysis. The frequency of probes will depend on the wall thickness of the tubes. The probe holder can either be rotated manually or provided a motor drive. Also system configuration will depend on the accuracy you need and total number of tubes you want to test..You will need to fill the tube with water as this is immersion technique.

If you need any more details you can contact me Himanshu Ranade at echo@vsnl.com

Product Spotlight

FAAST-PA! OEM Patented phased Array for high speed UT inspection

Multiangle, Multifocus, Multifrequency, Multibeam. Instead of stacking UT electronics and having m
any PA probes, FAAST-PA is able to transmit all delay laws within ONE single shot in Real time.
>

AMIGO2

TSC Amigo2 - ACFM technology has developed a solid reputation for accurately detecting and sizing
surface-breaking cracks through paint and coatings. As the industry demands increased performance in speed, signal quality, and portability, it’s time for an evolution. It’s time for Amigo2.
>

IRIS 9000Plus - Introducing the next generation of heat exchanger inspection.

Representing the seventh generation of the IRIS system, the IRIS 9000 Plus has nearly 200 years of c
ombined field inspection experience incorporated in its design. This experience combined with a strong commitment to quality and a history of innovation has made Iris Inspection Services® the undisputed leader in IRIS technology.
>

NEOS III

NEOS III is Logos Imagings lightest DR system. With a built-in battery and internal wireless commu
nication, the NEOS III is perfect for users that want to quickly assess an item.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window