where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
Thickness measurements of a 6" tube.
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

Volume Graphics GmbH
Leading industrial companies around the world look for defects in their products using Volume Graphics software.

04:59 Jun-21-2000
Amedeo Marino
Thickness measurements of a 6" tube.

Dear all,
I have been asked to measure the thickness of the internal wall of a 6" tube, not accessible from outside.
Tubes are 12 meters long.
Does anybody know how to realise this inspection ?
Thank you in advance.

05:13 Jun-21-2000

Peter Többen

Consultant
Germany,
Joined May 2000
Re: Thickness measurements of a 6" tube.

03:22 Jun-22-2000

David Hermanutz

Consultant,
Hbndt.com,
China,
Joined Jul 2012
Re: Thickness measurements of a 6" tube. : Dear all,
: I have been asked to measure the thickness of the internal wall of a 6" tube, not accessible from outside.
: Tubes are 12 meters long.
: Does anybody know how to realise this inspection ?
: Thank you in advance.

This is a common inspection in the petrochemical industry, thier are several commercial units available in the states. Key search word is IRIS (internal rotary inspection system) I believe one manufacturer is D and M technologies in Texas. Panametrics also supplies of the shelf immersion and squirter probes.

06:40 Jun-22-2000

Himanshu Ranade

Director, Application Development
Fallon Ultrasonic (India) Pvt. ltd.,
India,
Joined Apr 2000
Re: Thickness measurements of a 6" tube. You can use a 4-channel Ultrasonic Dimension Monitoring system consisting of PC based pulser receiver, 4 10 MHz. probes including one for continuous callibration and special probe holder which measures the I.D., O.D from the bore at 3 different points and avarages to give the exact I.D., O.D. and Wall thickness with accuracy of 1 micron. The readings are recorded in the PC and can be recalled for analysis. The frequency of probes will depend on the wall thickness of the tubes. The probe holder can either be rotated manually or provided a motor drive. Also system configuration will depend on the accuracy you need and total number of tubes you want to test..You will need to fill the tube with water as this is immersion technique.

If you need any more details you can contact me Himanshu Ranade at echo@vsnl.com

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|