where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
penetrameter requirement
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

DASEL SISTEMAS
Our Phased Array equipments, based on SITAU Technology, are among the PAS highest performance in the market.

00:50 Jan-08-2009
susan
penetrameter requirement

If I have a coblat material to x-ray but do not have any cobalt penes, is it acceptable to use Nickel penes? This is in regard to the aerospace industry.

04:36 Jan-08-2009

Michel Couture

NDT Inspector,
consultant,
Canada,
Joined Sep 2006
Re: penetrameter requirement Hi Susan,

From my experience when it comes to aircraft parts, the manufacturer i.e. Boeing, Airbus, Bombardier will have a specific procedure for you to follow. Having said that, if you are using other pennies then that specified in the procedure, you should request a deviation from the customer. I looked at ASTM E1025, but cobalt is not mentionned. Hope this will be of help.

Michel

----------- Start Original Message -----------
: If I have a coblat material to x-ray but do not have any cobalt penes, is it acceptable to use Nickel penes? This is in regard to the aerospace industry.
------------ End Original Message ------------

07:50 Jan-08-2009

S.V.Swamy

Engineering, - Material Testing Inspection & Quality Control
Retired from Nuclear Fuel Complex ,
India,
Joined Feb 2001
Re: penetrameter requirement Susan,

Since I lack ready access to radiographic equivalents of different materials, I would request you to do that search. If cobalt and nickel are nearly equal in their absorption characteristics, you could use the nickel penetrameter instead of cobalt.

If you cannot access the data, you could take a radiograph of the cobalt object and a nickel block of the same thickness and see the density. If the density is comparable, you could go ahead.

Swamy
NDT Guru

: If I have a coblat material to x-ray but do not have any cobalt penes, is it acceptable to use Nickel penes? This is in regard to the aerospace industry.

07:57 Jan-08-2009
DJ Kallhof
Re: penetrameter requirement At least one engine manufacturer allows steel to be used in place of cobalt but I am not sure about nickel. A softer or less dense material may be used. The SPM I checked went so far to say use the penetrameter designated for the next greater part thickness if you are using a iron based penetrameter for nickel or cobalt. I checked the density of cobalt and nickel and they are nearly identical. Unfortunately, an auditor who doesn't understand the process could argue that nickel is actually a little denser and would disqualify the technique.

03:37 Jan-12-2009
K.B.Jetly
Re: penetrameter requirement In Reply to S.V.Swamy at 07:50 Jan-08-2009 .

The fact that most of the properties such as Atomic Numbers ( Co-27, Ni-28), Atomic Weight ( Co-58.9, Ni- 58.7)Density( Co-8.92, Ni 8.90) are so close, Nickel penetrameters can certainly be used for Cobalt.

ASTM E1025 and E 747 show the flexibily regarding the penetrameter materials.

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|