where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -
Technical Discussions
susan
susan
00:50 Jan-08-2009
penetrameter requirement

If I have a coblat material to x-ray but do not have any cobalt penes, is it acceptable to use Nickel penes? This is in regard to the aerospace industry.

Michel Couture
NDT Inspector,
consultant, Canada, Joined Sep 2006, 847

Michel Couture

NDT Inspector,
consultant,
Canada,
Joined Sep 2006
04:36 Jan-08-2009
Re: penetrameter requirement
Hi Susan,

From my experience when it comes to aircraft parts, the manufacturer i.e. Boeing, Airbus, Bombardier will have a specific procedure for you to follow. Having said that, if you are using other pennies then that specified in the procedure, you should request a deviation from the customer. I looked at ASTM E1025, but cobalt is not mentionned. Hope this will be of help.

Michel

----------- Start Original Message -----------
: If I have a coblat material to x-ray but do not have any cobalt penes, is it acceptable to use Nickel penes? This is in regard to the aerospace industry.
------------ End Original Message ------------

S.V.Swamy
Engineering, - Material Testing Inspection & Quality Control
Retired from Nuclear Fuel Complex , India, Joined Feb 2001, 787

S.V.Swamy

Engineering, - Material Testing Inspection & Quality Control
Retired from Nuclear Fuel Complex ,
India,
Joined Feb 2001
07:50 Jan-08-2009
Susan,

Since I lack ready access to radiographic equivalents of different materials, I would request you to do that search. If cobalt and nickel are nearly equal in their absorption characteristics, you could use the nickel penetrameter instead of cobalt.

If you cannot access the data, you could take a radiograph of the cobalt object and a nickel block of the same thickness and see the density. If the density is comparable, you could go ahead.

Swamy
NDT Guru

: If I have a coblat material to x-ray but do not have any cobalt penes, is it acceptable to use Nickel penes? This is in regard to the aerospace industry.

DJ Kallhof
DJ Kallhof
07:57 Jan-08-2009
At least one engine manufacturer allows steel to be used in place of cobalt but I am not sure about nickel. A softer or less dense material may be used. The SPM I checked went so far to say use the penetrameter designated for the next greater part thickness if you are using a iron based penetrameter for nickel or cobalt. I checked the density of cobalt and nickel and they are nearly identical. Unfortunately, an auditor who doesn't understand the process could argue that nickel is actually a little denser and would disqualify the technique.

K.B.Jetly
K.B.Jetly
03:37 Jan-12-2009
In Reply to S.V.Swamy at 07:50 Jan-08-2009 .

The fact that most of the properties such as Atomic Numbers ( Co-27, Ni-28), Atomic Weight ( Co-58.9, Ni- 58.7)Density( Co-8.92, Ni 8.90) are so close, Nickel penetrameters can certainly be used for Cobalt.

ASTM E1025 and E 747 show the flexibily regarding the penetrameter materials.

Product Spotlight

NOVO Armor 15 & NOVO Armor 22

The Armor Kit Contains the NOVO Armor, which provides additional mechanical protection to the NOVO 1
5WN & NOVO 22WN Detectors, the Armor Stand and a traveling soft cover. - Newest shock absorbent technology case - Water resistant design - Supports wired & wireless communication - Multiple positioning options - Tripod connection using the Built-in 1/4” threads - Simple Detector battery replacement
>

GEKKO - Portable Phased Array Testing with TFM in Real-Time

The portable phased array testing system GEKKO provides 64 parallel test channels. On creating testi
ng parameters the operator is assisted by the CIVA software. Due to its modular set-up the GEKKO instrument is suitable for operators of all skill levels.
>

Panther

M2M PANTHER is a phased-array equipment designed for both desktop and industrial applications, offer
ing unparalleled performance in a compact unit. It combines the speed required for industrial integrated Phased-Array Ultrasound (PAUT) solutions, with the most complete set of total focusing method (TFM) imaging techniques, making it the ultimate tool for R&D and procedure qualification.
>

Combination of Digital Image Correlation and Thermographic Measurements

The combination of measuring results from the digital image correlation (ARAMIS, DIC) and temperat
ure measuring data from infrared cameras permits the simultaneous analysis of the thermal and mechanical behavior of test specimens in the materials and components testing field.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window