where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

Matec Instrument Companies, Inc.
Ultrasonic test instrumentation and systems for scientific research, quality control inspection and production testing applications.

Technical Discussions
Marius Iulian Dinu
NDT Inspector, Pre-service and In-Service Inspections
General Electric - Life Extension Services, Romania, Joined Oct 1999, 5

Marius Iulian Dinu

NDT Inspector, Pre-service and In-Service Inspections
General Electric - Life Extension Services,
Romania,
Joined Oct 1999
09:07 Jul-04-2000
Volumetric Inspection of the Relief Valve Spring

Dear coleagues:

Does anybody knows which is the best method in order to inspect volumetrically (not surface or sub-surface inspection) the relief valve springs?

Here are some aditional informations:

- Spring diameter: between 50 and 120 mm.
- length of the spring: between 150 and 280 mm.
- spring wire diameter: between 8 and 30 mm.

I am looking for the detection of fatigue cracking.

Are there any possibilities to perform the inspection during in-service?

Thank you in advance for your cooperation.

Marius Iulian DINU
NDT Engineer
Cernavoda 1 N.P.P.

Godfrey Hands
Engineering,
PRI Nadcap, United Kingdom, Joined Nov 1998, 288

Godfrey Hands

Engineering,
PRI Nadcap,
United Kingdom,
Joined Nov 1998
08:30 Jul-05-2000
Re: Volumetric Inspection of the Relief Valve Spring
our web pages. This is at
www.hands-ndt.co.uk

Dave Utrata
R & D,
Center for NDE, Iowa State University, USA, Joined Feb 2000, 37

Dave Utrata

R & D,
Center for NDE, Iowa State University,
USA,
Joined Feb 2000
06:17 Jul-05-2000
Re: Volumetric Inspection of the Relief Valve Spring
: I am looking for the detection of fatigue cracking.

Hello,
Resonant inspection, as mentioned in the previous posting, would seem a very suitable candidate for such testing. If... the facts of the inspection challenge are as you state them.
In my perspective, I read your statement as relating volumetric flaws to fatigue cracking. Surely you mean cracking that eminates from previously existant internal flaws? The problem doesn't seem quite intuitive to me, even though you have made a strong attempt to relate some specifics of the case. Sounds almost like you've got production quality issues to deal with instead of 'true' service degredation.
Perhaps it would be helpful if you make any case histories of such failures available (via posting a suitable link) so we could have a closer look at your challenge. Seems a little contradictory to me, given the facts so far, or at least my reading of them.

Regards,
Dave Utrata
CNDE, Iowa State Univ.

Product Spotlight

TVC awarded UKAS accreditation

TVC are delighted to finally announce we have been awarded UKAS accreditation for our calibration
laboratory. Laboratory accreditation to ISO/IEC 17025:2005 enables us to conduct the Electrical Verification of Ultrasonic Flaw Detection Equipment to BS EN 12668-1:2010. It has taken many months of hard work and we want to thank our staff for all their efforts during this massive undertaking.
>

Echomac® PA Rail Wheel Tester

MAC introduces two versions of Rail Wheel Testers using ECHOMAC® PA platform based on customer requ
irements.
>

IRIS 9000Plus - Introducing the next generation of heat exchanger inspection.

Representing the seventh generation of the IRIS system, the IRIS 9000 Plus has nearly 200 years of c
ombined field inspection experience incorporated in its design. This experience combined with a strong commitment to quality and a history of innovation has made Iris Inspection Services® the undisputed leader in IRIS technology.
>

Magnetic X-Ray Pipeline Crawler

Zhong Yi brand pipeline crawler is magnetic/micro-video controlled crawler with DC X ray unit inst
alled for checking welding of pipeline. Move steadily inside the pipeline 6''-60''diameter with speed of up to 18m/min, Max. moving diatance 5 kilometers and provide the efficient inspection of the pipeline.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window