where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -
Technical Discussions
Marius Iulian Dinu
NDT Inspector, Pre-service and In-Service Inspections
General Electric - Life Extension Services, Romania, Joined Oct 1999, 5

Marius Iulian Dinu

NDT Inspector, Pre-service and In-Service Inspections
General Electric - Life Extension Services,
Romania,
Joined Oct 1999
09:07 Jul-04-2000
Volumetric Inspection of the Relief Valve Spring

Dear coleagues:

Does anybody knows which is the best method in order to inspect volumetrically (not surface or sub-surface inspection) the relief valve springs?

Here are some aditional informations:

- Spring diameter: between 50 and 120 mm.
- length of the spring: between 150 and 280 mm.
- spring wire diameter: between 8 and 30 mm.

I am looking for the detection of fatigue cracking.

Are there any possibilities to perform the inspection during in-service?

Thank you in advance for your cooperation.

Marius Iulian DINU
NDT Engineer
Cernavoda 1 N.P.P.

Godfrey Hands
Consultant,
PRI Nadcap, United Kingdom, Joined Nov 1998, 302

Godfrey Hands

Consultant,
PRI Nadcap,
United Kingdom,
Joined Nov 1998
08:30 Jul-05-2000
Re: Volumetric Inspection of the Relief Valve Spring
our web pages. This is at
www.hands-ndt.co.uk

Dave Utrata
R & D,
Center for NDE, Iowa State University, USA, Joined Feb 2000, 37

Dave Utrata

R & D,
Center for NDE, Iowa State University,
USA,
Joined Feb 2000
06:17 Jul-05-2000
Re: Volumetric Inspection of the Relief Valve Spring
: I am looking for the detection of fatigue cracking.

Hello,
Resonant inspection, as mentioned in the previous posting, would seem a very suitable candidate for such testing. If... the facts of the inspection challenge are as you state them.
In my perspective, I read your statement as relating volumetric flaws to fatigue cracking. Surely you mean cracking that eminates from previously existant internal flaws? The problem doesn't seem quite intuitive to me, even though you have made a strong attempt to relate some specifics of the case. Sounds almost like you've got production quality issues to deal with instead of 'true' service degredation.
Perhaps it would be helpful if you make any case histories of such failures available (via posting a suitable link) so we could have a closer look at your challenge. Seems a little contradictory to me, given the facts so far, or at least my reading of them.

Regards,
Dave Utrata
CNDE, Iowa State Univ.

Product Spotlight

HARDNESS TESTER TKM-459CE combi

TKM-459CE combi applies 2 methods of hardness control: UCI and Leeb. It provides high-accuracy tes
ting of metals and alloys as well as items of different sizes and configurations, their hardened layers and galvanic coatings. Device represents results in HB, HRC, HV and others. Shock-, dust- and water-proof housing with intuitive software make this gauge easy to use in all working conditions.
>

Silverwing RMS PA - Phased-array corrosion mapping

Eddyfi Technologies integrated two market leading solutions, Silverwing’s RMS and M2M’s instru
ments to provide a high-speed, remote access ultrasonic phased-array inspection system with live total focusing method (TFM).
>

Sci Aps Z-Series Portable Handheld Analysers

The world’s only handheld analyzer that measures carbon content in stainless (yes even L-grades),s
teels, and cast irons. Also accepted for low Si analysis for sulfidic corrosion analysis, and is widely used in the power industry for Cr analysis, for flow accelerated corrosion applications.
>

XRHRobotStar

In high volume industries like automotive the requirement for a hundred percent X-ray inspection c
reates a bottleneck in the production. The XRHRobotStar is a fully Automated Defect Recognition (ADR) capable robot-system that allows an ultra-fast in-line inspection.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window