where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
Volumetric Inspection of the Relief Valve Spring
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

09:07 Jul-04-2000

Marius Iulian Dinu

NDT Inspector, Pre-service and In-Service Inspections
General Electric - Life Extension Services,
Romania,
Joined Oct 1999
Volumetric Inspection of the Relief Valve Spring

Dear coleagues:

Does anybody knows which is the best method in order to inspect volumetrically (not surface or sub-surface inspection) the relief valve springs?

Here are some aditional informations:

- Spring diameter: between 50 and 120 mm.
- length of the spring: between 150 and 280 mm.
- spring wire diameter: between 8 and 30 mm.

I am looking for the detection of fatigue cracking.

Are there any possibilities to perform the inspection during in-service?

Thank you in advance for your cooperation.

Marius Iulian DINU
NDT Engineer
Cernavoda 1 N.P.P.

08:30 Jul-05-2000

Godfrey Hands

Engineering,
PRI Nadcap,
United Kingdom,
Joined Nov 1998
Re: Volumetric Inspection of the Relief Valve Spring our web pages. This is at
www.hands-ndt.co.uk

06:17 Jul-05-2000

Dave Utrata

R & D,
Center for NDE, Iowa State University,
USA,
Joined Feb 2000
Re: Volumetric Inspection of the Relief Valve Spring : I am looking for the detection of fatigue cracking.

Hello,
Resonant inspection, as mentioned in the previous posting, would seem a very suitable candidate for such testing. If... the facts of the inspection challenge are as you state them.
In my perspective, I read your statement as relating volumetric flaws to fatigue cracking. Surely you mean cracking that eminates from previously existant internal flaws? The problem doesn't seem quite intuitive to me, even though you have made a strong attempt to relate some specifics of the case. Sounds almost like you've got production quality issues to deal with instead of 'true' service degredation.
Perhaps it would be helpful if you make any case histories of such failures available (via posting a suitable link) so we could have a closer look at your challenge. Seems a little contradictory to me, given the facts so far, or at least my reading of them.

Regards,
Dave Utrata
CNDE, Iowa State Univ.

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|