where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -
Technical Discussions
simone brocco
Student
university, Italy, Joined Jul 2000, 4

simone brocco

Student
university,
Italy,
Joined Jul 2000
03:30 Jul-23-2000
medical ultrasonic probe

I'm looking for some works on influence of the thickness of a backing on the response of transducers".
Could you help me to find it ?

Dipl.-Ing. Martin Heinz
Dipl.-Ing. Martin Heinz
09:34 Jul-24-2000
Re: medical ultrasonic probe
: I'm looking for some works on influence of the thickness of a backing on the response of transducers".
: Could you help me to find it ?
:
The backing material consists normally of an resin and filler materials for damping sound and for increasing the acoustical impedance of
the backing. Increasing acoustic impedance means increasing density (weight) (e.g. by putting tungsten into the backing) and increasing
the speed of sound (e.g. by putting aluminia oxide into the backing). Of further interest there is the diameter of the grain of these filler
materials, which should be in a certain dimension to the wavelength of the sound. If the acoustic impedance does not match as close as
possible to the acoustic impedance of the piezoceramic, only few sound energy can travel into the backing for beeing damped/destructed
into the backing. The most of the sound energy would be reflected several times between backing and piezoceramic and would produce
additional resonances. In this case an increasing of the thickness of the backing would not increase much the damping of sound. If the
backing is matched sufficiently to the piezoceramic, you can increase the damping by increasing the backing thickness in a certain range.
Increasing the damping of the sound means decreasing the quality of this "oscillator" and thus increasing bandwidth.
In the analysis of materials you sended it seems not so as some tungsten or aluminia oxide would be in this backing. I think they use Pb
for increasing the density / weight and thus increasing the acoustic impedance of their backing, because tungsten is much more
expensive than Pb.

Best regards,

Martin Heinz.

Michael Trinidad
Consultant,
LMATS Pty Ltd , Australia, Joined Jan 2003, 138

Michael Trinidad

Consultant,
LMATS Pty Ltd ,
Australia,
Joined Jan 2003
03:44 Jul-26-2000
Re: medical ultrasonic probe
: I'm looking for some works on influence of the thickness of a backing on the response of transducers".
:
I found a manufaturer's web site with a lot of information which is attached below. Maybe it can be of some use to you or they may be able to answer more specific questions.

Kindest Regards

Michael Trinidad

david linzer
david linzer
07:02 Sep-20-2001
your question
: it would be depending on the accuracy of the application as well as the range. ie the lower the range of the transducer the more sensitive it would be for atm flactuations (it would be sensitive to noise), but even though the influence can be checked by using both transducer (equivalent) and isolate the "backing" of only one of them, and than try to measure for the same input....
hope it helps

Product Spotlight

iProbe - USB Phased Array Probe

Turn your PC, Laptop or Tablet into a powerful 32:64 Phased Array system with our USB powered Phas
ed Array iProbe and inspection software package. Perform affordable weld inspection and corrosion mapping inspections with this powerful but small system. The probe has a 100V pulser, 8K PRF, dual axis encoder input and achieves outstanding signal quality.
>

AMIGO2

TSC Amigo2 - ACFM technology has developed a solid reputation for accurately detecting and sizing
surface-breaking cracks through paint and coatings. As the industry demands increased performance in speed, signal quality, and portability, it’s time for an evolution. It’s time for Amigo2.
>

Silverwing RMS PA - Phased-array corrosion mapping

Eddyfi Technologies integrated two market leading solutions, Silverwing’s RMS and M2M’s instru
ments to provide a high-speed, remote access ultrasonic phased-array inspection system with live total focusing method (TFM).
>

Compact NDT inspection-heads for measurements with active thermography

The compact inspection head is suitable for thermographic ndt tasks. The uncooled infrared camera
is specially developed for NDI-tasks and offers a thermal sensitivity until now known only from thermal imagers with cooled detector. All required components and functions are integrated into the inspection-head. You will only need an ethernet cable to connect the sensor with the evaluation system.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window