where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
medical ultrasonic probe
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

03:30 Jul-23-2000

simone brocco

Student
university,
Italy,
Joined Jul 2000
medical ultrasonic probe

I'm looking for some works on influence of the thickness of a backing on the response of transducers".
Could you help me to find it ?

09:34 Jul-24-2000
Dipl.-Ing. Martin Heinz
Re: medical ultrasonic probe : I'm looking for some works on influence of the thickness of a backing on the response of transducers".
: Could you help me to find it ?
:
The backing material consists normally of an resin and filler materials for damping sound and for increasing the acoustical impedance of
the backing. Increasing acoustic impedance means increasing density (weight) (e.g. by putting tungsten into the backing) and increasing
the speed of sound (e.g. by putting aluminia oxide into the backing). Of further interest there is the diameter of the grain of these filler
materials, which should be in a certain dimension to the wavelength of the sound. If the acoustic impedance does not match as close as
possible to the acoustic impedance of the piezoceramic, only few sound energy can travel into the backing for beeing damped/destructed
into the backing. The most of the sound energy would be reflected several times between backing and piezoceramic and would produce
additional resonances. In this case an increasing of the thickness of the backing would not increase much the damping of sound. If the
backing is matched sufficiently to the piezoceramic, you can increase the damping by increasing the backing thickness in a certain range.
Increasing the damping of the sound means decreasing the quality of this "oscillator" and thus increasing bandwidth.
In the analysis of materials you sended it seems not so as some tungsten or aluminia oxide would be in this backing. I think they use Pb
for increasing the density / weight and thus increasing the acoustic impedance of their backing, because tungsten is much more
expensive than Pb.

Best regards,

Martin Heinz.

03:44 Jul-26-2000

Michael Trinidad

Consultant,
LMATS Pty Ltd ,
Australia,
Joined Jan 2003
Re: medical ultrasonic probe : I'm looking for some works on influence of the thickness of a backing on the response of transducers".
:
I found a manufaturer's web site with a lot of information which is attached below. Maybe it can be of some use to you or they may be able to answer more specific questions.

Kindest Regards

Michael Trinidad

07:02 Sep-20-2001
david linzer
your question : I'm looking for some works on influence of the thickness of a backing on the response of transducers".
: it would be depending on the accuracy of the application as well as the range. ie the lower the range of the transducer the more sensitive it would be for atm flactuations (it would be sensitive to noise), but even though the influence can be checked by using both transducer (equivalent) and isolate the "backing" of only one of them, and than try to measure for the same input....
hope it helps

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|