where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions
Career Discussions >
Acoustic emission
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

06:23 Apr-16-2003
Kavita
Acoustic emission

I'm going throu one of the papers on acoustic emission and there it was mentioned that hydrophone system is hypothesized to be better than AE system. I was under impression that both of these sytems are same..as hydrophones are the main components of AE system. Can anybody clear my confusion.
Thanks in advance
Kavitha.

08:41 Apr-19-2003

John O'Brien

Consultant, -
Chevron ETC ,
USA,
Joined Jan 2000
Re: Acoustic emission It may be a case of misapplication of a word. Yes hydrophones are used in the AE Spectrum and the usual 'rule of thumb' distinction is probably whether the AE source is transmitted by liquid or airborne. In these cases the term 'hydrophone' is often used even through not strictly true. Structure borne AE sounds are usually termed sensor or even sometimes accelerometer.

If you describe the application you are reviewing people may be able to comment more specifically.

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|