where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

Eddyfi
Eddyfi Technologies provide the most advanced NDT technologies in the world, helping OEMs, asset owners and service companies enhance productivit ...
Technical Discussions
andy cunningham
Consultant, NDT/QA QC/R&D
ASNT,PCN, Canada, Joined Feb 2000, 14

andy cunningham

Consultant, NDT/QA QC/R&D
ASNT,PCN,
Canada,
Joined Feb 2000
09:48 Aug-06-2000
creeping wave

dear sirs
for the past year i have been playing with id and od creeping wave probes.
i have now made a probe with a polarized shoe that creeps on the id and the od at the same time.
can anyone tell me what to do with it.

J. Mark Davis
Teacher, And Consultant
University of Ultrasonics, Birmingham, Alabama, USA, Joined Mar 2000, 85

J. Mark Davis

Teacher, And Consultant
University of Ultrasonics, Birmingham, Alabama,
USA,
Joined Mar 2000
03:31 Aug-07-2000
Re: creeping wave

J. Mark Davis
Teacher, And Consultant
University of Ultrasonics, Birmingham, Alabama, USA, Joined Mar 2000, 85

J. Mark Davis

Teacher, And Consultant
University of Ultrasonics, Birmingham, Alabama,
USA,
Joined Mar 2000
03:38 Aug-07-2000

Ed Ginzel
R & D, -
Materials Research Institute, Canada, Joined Nov 1998, 1268

Ed Ginzel

R & D, -
Materials Research Institute,
Canada,
Joined Nov 1998
02:14 Aug-07-2000
Andy:
I would be interested to learn more about the "polarisation shoe".
The "so-called" creeping wave is putatively formed as a result of a simple compression wave interacting at a free boundary.
Upon incidence from the shoe designed to provide a refracted angle somewhere between about 70-80 degrees in the solid test piece, the "creeping wave" forms on the near surface.
Since the incident angle from the shoe ALSO results in an SV shear mode at a smaller angle (typically 30-35 degrees) a second mode conversion occurs on the far surface (assuming it to be parallel to the near surface).
The mode converted wave is of course compression (converted from SV Shear). The angle of the converted compression wave off the far surface is similar to the initial refracted angle (between 70-80 degrees) and the same mechanics account for the initiation of the far surface "creeping wave".

These principles are well explained in a paper on dissimilar metals by Dr. Schmid (you can find it in a back issueof the NDT.net).

My point is that the Near and Far (ID and OD) creeping waves are a naturally occuring event but they could not occur at the "same" time. The near (OD?) occurs first and the far (ID?) occurs after the slower SV shear wave has impinged on the far surface.

If you meant that your probe can produce both I think you could have achieved the same results with a 70 degree L Wave probe.

Ed

: dear sirs
: for the past year i have been playing with id and od creeping wave probes.
: i have now made a probe with a polarized shoe that creeps on the id and the od at the same time.
: can anyone tell me what to do with it.

Product Spotlight

Semi-Automated Phased Array Immersion System for Small Composite Parts

Turn-key semi-automated system as an improved and affordable solution for inspection of small comp
osite parts. Includes support table, immersion tank, scanner, PA instrument, PC, Analysis software, database, wedge management and other options.
>

Compact NDT inspection-heads for measurements with active thermography

The compact inspection head is suitable for thermographic ndt tasks. The uncooled infrared camera
is specially developed for NDI-tasks and offers a thermal sensitivity until now known only from thermal imagers with cooled detector. All required components and functions are integrated into the inspection-head. You will only need an ethernet cable to connect the sensor with the evaluation system.
>

SONOAIR - air-coupled Phased Array Ultrasonic Inspection System

For highly attenuating materials, the performance of the system is critical. The ultrasonic sensors,
the scanning area and the system settings should be flexibly adapted to the test task and the material. These high expectations are met with the new and modular testing system SONOAIR. With the world’s first air-coupled phased-array UT inspection system SONOAIR we developed a technology that works with up to 4 transmitter and receiver channels with freely configurable square wave burst transmitters as wells as low noise receiving amplifiers.
>

Ultrasonic tomograph for imaging of concrete structures А1040 MIRA

Applicable for concrete inspection allowing imaging of the internal structure of objects from conc
rete, reinforced concrete, different stones. The operation applies pulse-echo technique at one-side access to the object. The instrument is feasible for concrete inspection for searching conduct ducts, conduits, detection of foreign inclusions, holes, honeycombing, cracks and other concrete defects.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window