where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

DASEL SISTEMAS
Our Phased Array equipments, based on SITAU Technology, are among the PAS highest performance in the market.

Technical Discussions
andy cunningham
Consultant, NDT/QA QC/R&D
ASNT,PCN, Canada, Joined Feb 2000, 14

andy cunningham

Consultant, NDT/QA QC/R&D
ASNT,PCN,
Canada,
Joined Feb 2000
09:48 Aug-06-2000
creeping wave

dear sirs
for the past year i have been playing with id and od creeping wave probes.
i have now made a probe with a polarized shoe that creeps on the id and the od at the same time.
can anyone tell me what to do with it.

J. Mark Davis
Teacher, And Consultant
University of Ultrasonics, Birmingham, Alabama, USA, Joined Mar 2000, 85

J. Mark Davis

Teacher, And Consultant
University of Ultrasonics, Birmingham, Alabama,
USA,
Joined Mar 2000
03:31 Aug-07-2000
Re: creeping wave

J. Mark Davis
Teacher, And Consultant
University of Ultrasonics, Birmingham, Alabama, USA, Joined Mar 2000, 85

J. Mark Davis

Teacher, And Consultant
University of Ultrasonics, Birmingham, Alabama,
USA,
Joined Mar 2000
03:38 Aug-07-2000

Ed Ginzel
R & D, -
Materials Research Institute, Canada, Joined Nov 1998, 1254

Ed Ginzel

R & D, -
Materials Research Institute,
Canada,
Joined Nov 1998
02:14 Aug-07-2000
Andy:
I would be interested to learn more about the "polarisation shoe".
The "so-called" creeping wave is putatively formed as a result of a simple compression wave interacting at a free boundary.
Upon incidence from the shoe designed to provide a refracted angle somewhere between about 70-80 degrees in the solid test piece, the "creeping wave" forms on the near surface.
Since the incident angle from the shoe ALSO results in an SV shear mode at a smaller angle (typically 30-35 degrees) a second mode conversion occurs on the far surface (assuming it to be parallel to the near surface).
The mode converted wave is of course compression (converted from SV Shear). The angle of the converted compression wave off the far surface is similar to the initial refracted angle (between 70-80 degrees) and the same mechanics account for the initiation of the far surface "creeping wave".

These principles are well explained in a paper on dissimilar metals by Dr. Schmid (you can find it in a back issueof the NDT.net).

My point is that the Near and Far (ID and OD) creeping waves are a naturally occuring event but they could not occur at the "same" time. The near (OD?) occurs first and the far (ID?) occurs after the slower SV shear wave has impinged on the far surface.

If you meant that your probe can produce both I think you could have achieved the same results with a 70 degree L Wave probe.

Ed

: dear sirs
: for the past year i have been playing with id and od creeping wave probes.
: i have now made a probe with a polarized shoe that creeps on the id and the od at the same time.
: can anyone tell me what to do with it.

Product Spotlight

AMIGO2

TSC Amigo2 - ACFM technology has developed a solid reputation for accurately detecting and sizing
surface-breaking cracks through paint and coatings. As the industry demands increased performance in speed, signal quality, and portability, it’s time for an evolution. It’s time for Amigo2.
>

NovaScope 6000

The all-digital Novascope 6000 is a portable, ultra-high precision thickness gauge for high-speed
thickness measurement. Novascope 6000 has unmatched capabilities and unique features including: •Superior Resolution with high contrast, high-speed color RF display •High pulser voltage •Real-time video output •Increased internal/external data storage •Programmable SetUp features •Battery & AC Powered
>

Robotic laser shearography enables 100% inspection of complex, flight-critical composite structures

An article in “Composites World Magazine” showcases Non Destructive Testing of aero-structures
with Laser Shearography. Over the years Dantec Dynamics has supplied many solutions for the aerospace industry. Referring to specific customer projects several of these cases are examined to outline the advantages of using Laser Shearography for automated defect detection.
>

Magnetic X-Ray Pipeline Crawler

Zhong Yi brand pipeline crawler is magnetic/micro-video controlled crawler with DC X ray unit inst
alled for checking welding of pipeline. Move steadily inside the pipeline 6''-60''diameter with speed of up to 18m/min, Max. moving diatance 5 kilometers and provide the efficient inspection of the pipeline.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window