where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

AT-Automation Technology GmbH
AT -Automation Technology is a systems house for industrial image processing. AT offers thermographic ndt systems as well as high-speed 3D sensors.

Technical Discussions
STUART WEBBER
STUART WEBBER
00:23 Aug-08-2000
UT TESTING AUSTENITIC GEN. END RINGS

My name is Stuart Webber and have been testing austenitic gen. end rings for almost 20yrs. Being employed by the then electricity generating board I have tested every end ring, a number of times, on every generator set owned by the electricity board in Queensland Australia. I have plenty of tales to tell but simply state " if you are new to the game, and have not considerable ultrasonic experience, you are heading for a fall in trying to test these troublesome items. I have seen many end rings removed to verify restults or as a result of underlying conductor or insulation repairs. I have rejected a few and have a collection in my laboratory with some great defects, and still scratch my head at times when testing these things. There is a lot of paranoia about crack growth rates and micro defects allowed but on a practical level you should see the size of some of the defects that have survived service conditions, and I know that I wil cop some flak over this statement but it is fact. I gave away the manual methods of testing these items as I have prooved over the years they fall down especially where the underlying structures impinge on the inner surface of the ring which produces a strong return signal anyway. I have been using the AEA time of flight equipment for the last 4 years and am very pleased with the results. Again I know I will cop flak for this statement as there is great controvesy over the correct method to use on these items but my business is at the sharp end, not the laboratory and I have seen and done enogh to prove to myself which is the way to go ie conventional or TOFD. Be assured of one thing, if you attempting to test these items with no specific training on them you are heading for a fall.

Product Spotlight

Combination of Digital Image Correlation and Thermographic Measurements

The combination of measuring results from the digital image correlation (ARAMIS, DIC) and temperat
ure measuring data from infrared cameras permits the simultaneous analysis of the thermal and mechanical behavior of test specimens in the materials and components testing field.
>

NDTkit RT

NDTkit RT, TESTIA's Digital Radiography software The NDTkit product line software for X-ray analysi
s. NDTkit RT is a software benefiting from the Ultis kernel which is dedicated to radiographic image analysis. It offers a set of tools and filtering processes to assist RT operators in finding relevant flaws.
>

HARDNESS TESTER TKM-459CE combi

TKM-459CE combi applies 2 methods of hardness control: UCI and Leeb. It provides high-accuracy tes
ting of metals and alloys as well as items of different sizes and configurations, their hardened layers and galvanic coatings. Device represents results in HB, HRC, HV and others. Shock-, dust- and water-proof housing with intuitive software make this gauge easy to use in all working conditions.
>

Varex Imaging Large Field of View (FOV) Digital Detector Arrays (DDAs)

A larger FOV DDA can reduce the space and volume of the X-ray inspection system on the factory floor
, enable faster scanning times, better throughput and better resolution images at a lower dose. Customers can also save time and money. With these benefits in mind, Varex Imaging has designed a family of large FOV detectors (4343HE, XRD 1611, 4343DX-I, 4343CT) for our industrial imaging customers.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window