where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

ULTRASOUND INSTITUTE
The Ultrasound Institute can develop new advanced ultrasonic measurement, imaging and NDT techniques for non-conventional applications.
Technical Discussions
STUART WEBBER
STUART WEBBER
00:23 Aug-08-2000
UT TESTING AUSTENITIC GEN. END RINGS

My name is Stuart Webber and have been testing austenitic gen. end rings for almost 20yrs. Being employed by the then electricity generating board I have tested every end ring, a number of times, on every generator set owned by the electricity board in Queensland Australia. I have plenty of tales to tell but simply state " if you are new to the game, and have not considerable ultrasonic experience, you are heading for a fall in trying to test these troublesome items. I have seen many end rings removed to verify restults or as a result of underlying conductor or insulation repairs. I have rejected a few and have a collection in my laboratory with some great defects, and still scratch my head at times when testing these things. There is a lot of paranoia about crack growth rates and micro defects allowed but on a practical level you should see the size of some of the defects that have survived service conditions, and I know that I wil cop some flak over this statement but it is fact. I gave away the manual methods of testing these items as I have prooved over the years they fall down especially where the underlying structures impinge on the inner surface of the ring which produces a strong return signal anyway. I have been using the AEA time of flight equipment for the last 4 years and am very pleased with the results. Again I know I will cop flak for this statement as there is great controvesy over the correct method to use on these items but my business is at the sharp end, not the laboratory and I have seen and done enogh to prove to myself which is the way to go ie conventional or TOFD. Be assured of one thing, if you attempting to test these items with no specific training on them you are heading for a fall.

Product Spotlight

Echomac® Small

Available with up to eight channels of electronics to detect and evaluate thickness, flaws and eccen
tricity, this UT tester is housed in a convenient, smaller cabinet. This instrument can be used in conjunction with bubbler or immersion tank systems, or with a test bench or in laboratory applications. The Echomac® Small is available in the FD4, FD6 or FD6A versions.
>

ISONIC 3510

Very Powerful Superior Performance Extremely Portable Smart Phased Array Ultrasonic Flaw Detector an
d Recorder with 2 Conventional UT and TOFD Channels uniquely combines PA, single- and multi-channel conventional UT, and TOFD modalities providing 100% raw data recording and imaging. Suitable for all kinds of every-day ultrasonic inspections
>

NEW Wheel Type Phased Array Probe

DOPPLER NEW Wheel Type Phased Array Probe, more stable, new tyre makes lesser acoustic attenuation
, much lighter makes easier to handle, more slim size, magnetic and mechanical encoder optional etc...more
>

Sci Aps Z-Series Portable Handheld Analysers

The world’s only handheld analyzer that measures carbon content in stainless (yes even L-grades),s
teels, and cast irons. Also accepted for low Si analysis for sulfidic corrosion analysis, and is widely used in the power industry for Cr analysis, for flow accelerated corrosion applications.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window