where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

Volume Graphics GmbH
Leading industrial companies around the world look for defects in their products using Volume Graphics software.
Career Discussions
Raúl Navarrete
Consultant, teacher ndt inspector
METAL-MET, C.A., Venezuela, Joined Jul 2000, 8

Raúl Navarrete

Consultant, teacher ndt inspector
METAL-MET, C.A.,
Venezuela,
Joined Jul 2000
00:07 Jan-10-2004
Re: PMI - definition
----------- Start Original Message -----------
: PMI (positive material identification) to me is sorting of materials to be sure there has not been any mixing of components/materials. If you expect that your vendor may supply you with bad material, i.e. not according to spec (out of spec. we have a world market these days), this is a quality control, but not a PMI? Do anybody have comments on this?
------------ End Original Message ------------

PMI will certainly serve you as quality control, because you are able to distiguish between any type of material, inclusive for their components. The most of the PMi instruments in the market, as the one sold by METOREX, gives you the alternative of having a PMI in around 3 seconds or having an element espectrum in some other seconds. The question is what you mean with BAD. It can be, bad surface finish, bad hardness, but materail specs????. You has to be more specific when you use the word BAD.

sigbjø
sigbjø
09:10 Jan-12-2004
Re: PMI - definition
----------- Start Original Message -----------
: : PMI (positive material identification) to me is sorting of materials to be sure there has not been any mixing of components/materials. If you expect that your vendor may supply you with bad material, i.e. not according to spec (out of spec. we have a world market these days), this is a quality control, but not a PMI? Do anybody have comments on this?
:
: PMI will certainly serve you as quality control, because you are able to distiguish between any type of material, inclusive for their components. The most of the PMi instruments in the market, as the one sold by METOREX, gives you the alternative of having a PMI in around 3 seconds or having an element espectrum in some other seconds. The question is what you mean with BAD. It can be, bad surface finish, bad hardness, but materail specs????. You has to be more specific when you use the word BAD.
------------ End Original Message ------------

The PMI-instruments are improving in quality and can give you impressive results.
My question was more on the understanding the term PMI. I have seen PMI as a tool to find mix-ups, often this may be type 316 and type 304 austenitic steels.
The other way of interpreting PMI is that it may qualify the composition according to the sertificate. Is the Ni or Cr-content within the specs/sertificate of the material. Especially these elements may give some uncertainty both because of uncertainties in the measuring method and due to the fact that methods used often are surface analysis methods (xray/spark emission)
Some people may order PMI and expect to receive a certificate of the material. This is by my opinion a wrong expectation.
I see that from John O'Brians reference, API:
"3.13 positive material identification (PMI) testing:
Any physical evaluation or test of a material to confirm that the material which has been or will be placed into service is consistent with the selected or specified alloy material designated by the owner/user. These evaluations or tests may provide either qualitative or quantitative information that is sufficient to verify the nominal alloy composition."
I understand this also in the way that PMI does not give a certificate. Even in the quantitative form I feel the sorting aspect is most important?

Product Spotlight

NEW Wheel Type Phased Array Probe

DOPPLER NEW Wheel Type Phased Array Probe, more stable, new tyre makes lesser acoustic attenuation
, much lighter makes easier to handle, more slim size, magnetic and mechanical encoder optional etc...more
>

NDT.net launches mobile-friendly design

NDT.net has revamped its website providing a mobile-friendly design.The front page received a comp
letely new design and all other sections are now reacting responsively on mobile devices. This has been a major step to make our website more user- friendly.
>

High-end Ultrasonic Flaw Detector with 32:128PR PAUT and 2-ch TOFD: SyncScan 2

SIUI’s newly launched SyncScan 2, is a high-end ultrasonic flaw detector with 32:128PR PAUT and
2-ch TOFD, which can maximize your efficiency for PA and TOFD. ● Support PA/TOFD/UT ● 32-ch PA is more suitable for inspection on extra-thick wall and high-attenuation material. ● 32-ch PA and 2-ch TOFD work simultaneously. ● Support PR mode for corrosion inspection.
>

FlexoFORM™

The FlexoFORM™ solution integrates flexible phased array probe technology in a scanner to solv
e the challenges that come with inspecting pipe elbows. When combined with a water column, this solution can be used to collect easy-to-interpret data on elbows with diameters ranging from 4.5 in. OD up to flat and offers many benefits.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window