where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions
Career Discussions >
White light emission
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

Volume Graphics GmbH
Leading industrial companies around the world look for defects in their products using Volume Graphics software.

04:01 Apr-14-2004
DJ Kallhof
White light emission

Has anyone recently experienced difficulty with white light eminating from their black lights . A well known NDT equipment manufacturer has replaced the bezel of their standard light with the bezel of their fan cooled model. The slots allowing for air flow emit 3fc of white light at 15". As the sensor moves closer the white light emission rises. When asked about the situation the manufacturers rep insisted I was the only one to experience this problem since they made the change a year ago. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

01:28 May-19-2004
Bruce
Re: White light emission Dear DJ,
Due to being away on leave I am somewhat late in responding to your post which deserved an urgent response. The "whitelight" being emitted is probably unfiltered raw UV and therefore highly dangerous.
The level of 3fc(30lux) at 15" is particularly high, and apart from a danger to the eyesight, would have a detrimental effect upon unprotected hands if hand held examination is involved.
My advice is DO NOT USE THIS LAMP until this emmision is completely eliminated by an effective barrier.
White light emission THROUGH a proper UV filter is another matter entirely. Most Standards specify an allowable total white light emission up to 2fc(20lux) on the part being inspected, which includes ambient light infiltration into a light restricting hood.
Whitelight emission from most blacklight spot hand lamps does not exceed 1fc(10lux) when measured with a whitelight meter respondind to the standard CIE photopic curve. Regards Bruce

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|