where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions
Career Discussions >
Low frequency Transducers
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

07:03 Jul-01-2004

Massimiliano Pau

Teacher, -
Univ. of Cagliari, Dept. of Mechanical Engineering,
Italy,
Joined Sep 2002
Low frequency Transducers

Dear colleagues

do you know about some kind of commercial solution (e.g. industrial UT systems or similar) able to generate 20kHz longitudinal stationary waves (pressure at least 15 bar) in a relatively low density medium (such alcohol for example?)

Massimiliano

06:56 Jul-02-2004

James Barshinger

Engineering
General Electric Global Research Center,
USA,
Joined Aug 2000
Re: Low frequency Transducers I have done some work with low frequency transducers in this frequency range. There are not many traditional NDT vendors that sell this type of equipment. However, I found that there is a substantial selection of sensors available for level sensing and sonar(fish finder) applications. Airmar (www.airmar.com) is a potential supplier. As well as bindicator, which makes level sensing devices. Ultrasonic welding and ultrasonic cleaning suppliers such as Branson or Dukane will also offer transducers in this frequency range. The level sensing devices will be optimized for aircoupled use, but should work at reduced efficiency in liquids. I dont have any feeling as to how any of these transducers will perform with regard to your pressure requirement. Anyway, hope this helps you with your search.

-Jim

James N Barshinger, Ph.D.
GE Global Research Center
One Research Circle
Niskayuna, NY 12302

----------- Start Original Message -----------
: Dear colleagues
: do you know about some kind of commercial solution (e.g. industrial UT systems or similar) able to generate 20kHz longitudinal stationary waves (pressure at least 15 bar) in a relatively low density medium (such alcohol for example?)
: Massimiliano
------------ End Original Message ------------

01:13 Sep-07-2005
Sue Bennett
Re: 20 kHz Low frequency Transducers ----------- Start Original Message -----------
: I have done some work with low frequency transducers in this frequency range. There are not many traditional NDT vendors that sell this type of equipment. However, I found that there is a substantial selection of sensors available for level sensing and sonar(fish finder) applications. Airmar (www.airmar.com) is a potential supplier. As well as bindicator, which makes level sensing devices. Ultrasonic welding and ultrasonic cleaning suppliers such as Branson or Dukane will also offer transducers in this frequency range. The level sensing devices will be optimized for aircoupled use, but should work at reduced efficiency in liquids. I dont have any feeling as to how any of these transducers will perform with regard to your pressure requirement. Anyway, hope this helps you with your search.
: -Jim
: James N Barshinger, Ph.D.
: GE Global Research Center
: One Research Circle
: Niskayuna, NY 12302
:
:
: : Dear colleagues
: : do you know about some kind of commercial solution (e.g. industrial UT systems or similar) able to generate 20kHz longitudinal stationary waves (pressure at least 15 bar) in a relatively low density medium (such alcohol for example?)
: : Massimiliano
Airmar makes a new low frequency transducer in the range of 19.5kHz

00:06 Sep-13-2005
eduardo moreno
Re: 20 kHz Low frequency Transducers ¿Why stationary waves?. You can make a transducer of 20 KHz with PZT-5. You neeed a correct relation between de diameter and the thickness. The solution is to use a sandwich structure of PZT-5.
Eduardo Moreno, Ph.D.
Ultrasonic Center
ICIMAF
La Habana
Cuba

: : I have done some work with low frequency transducers in this frequency range. There are not many traditional NDT vendors that sell this type of equipment. However, I found that there is a substantial selection of sensors available for level sensing and sonar(fish finder) applications. Airmar (www.airmar.com) is a potential supplier. As well as bindicator, which makes level sensing devices. Ultrasonic welding and ultrasonic cleaning suppliers such as Branson or Dukane will also offer transducers in this frequency range. The level sensing devices will be optimized for aircoupled use, but should work at reduced efficiency in liquids. I dont have any feeling as to how any of these transducers will perform with regard to your pressure requirement. Anyway, hope this helps you with your search.
: : -Jim
: : James N Barshinger, Ph.D.
: : GE Global Research Center
: : One Research Circle
: : Niskayuna, NY 12302
: :
: :
: : : Dear colleagues
: : : do you know about some kind of commercial solution (e.g. industrial UT systems or similar) able to generate 20kHz longitudinal stationary waves (pressure at least 15 bar) in a relatively low density medium (such alcohol for example?)
: : : Massimiliano
: Airmar makes a new low frequency transducer in the range of 19.5kHz

03:49 Sep-13-2005

S. Eswar Prasad

R & D
Sensor Technology Limited,
Canada,
Joined Nov 1998
Re: 20 kHz Low frequency Transducers One can build a 20 kHz transducer using a Langevin or Tonpilz model. The transducer can also withstand pressures of 15 bar if the materials are carefully selected. We have produced these at SensorTech (www.sensortech.ca). Typically a Navy Type II ceramic (abotu 4 washers 1.5" dia, 0.5" inside dia and 0.2" thick are required). You can attach steel tail mass and a aluminum radiating head to produce a 20 kHz unit. For 15 bar use, you may need to package it using syntactic materials into a steel or aluminum housing. Hope this helps.

: ¿Why stationary waves?. You can make a transducer of 20 KHz with PZT-5. You neeed a correct relation between de diameter and the thickness. The solution is to use a sandwich structure of PZT-5.
: Eduardo Moreno, Ph.D.
: Ultrasonic Center
: ICIMAF
: La Habana
: Cuba
: : : I have done some work with low frequency transducers in this frequency range. There are not many traditional NDT vendors that sell this type of equipment. However, I found that there is a substantial selection of sensors available for level sensing and sonar(fish finder) applications. Airmar (www.airmar.com) is a potential supplier. As well as bindicator, which makes level sensing devices. Ultrasonic welding and ultrasonic cleaning suppliers such as Branson or Dukane will also offer transducers in this frequency range. The level sensing devices will be optimized for aircoupled use, but should work at reduced efficiency in liquids. I dont have any feeling as to how any of these transducers will perform with regard to your pressure requirement. Anyway, hope this helps you with your search.
: : : -Jim
: : : James N Barshinger, Ph.D.
: : : GE Global Research Center
: : : One Research Circle
: : : Niskayuna, NY 12302
: : :
: : :
: : : : Dear colleagues
: : : : do you know about some kind of commercial solution (e.g. industrial UT systems or similar) able to generate 20kHz longitudinal stationary waves (pressure at least 15 bar) in a relatively low density medium (such alcohol for example?)
: : : : Massimiliano
: : Airmar makes a new low frequency transducer in the range of 19.5kHz

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|