where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions
Career Discussions >
RT SAFETY AND HEALTH
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

03:36 Jul-10-2004

Abdulla benamer

Engineering, CORROSION DIV. SUPERINTENDENT
SIRTE OIL COMPANY,
Libya,
Joined Jun 2004
RT SAFETY AND HEALTH

Are there any other health precautions should be taken into consideration other than dosemeter/film badges for those who are dealing with radiactive sources i.eiridium 192.
for example does the radiographer should be subject to routine medical check if yes,what type and how frequent.

05:37 Jul-11-2004
ET
Re: RT SAFETY AND HEALTH Time, Distance and Sheilding. Keep your exposure "As Low As Reasonably Achievable". ALARA. That is your best and safest health precaution.
If you are concerned aboout an acute dose, then you should seek medical attention immediately. Other than that I am not aware of any special medical exams that are required other than the normal employment physical exams.
----------- Start Original Message -----------
: Are there any other health precautions should be taken into consideration other than dosemeter/film badges for those who are dealing with radiactive sources i.eiridium 192.
: for example does the radiographer should be subject to routine medical check if yes,what type and how frequent.
------------ End Original Message ------------

03:58 Jul-11-2004

o. rugebani

Engineering
SGS Canada Inc,
Canada,
Joined Jul 2004
Re: RT SAFETY AND HEALTH The golden rule is ALARP which is as law as reasonably practicle , the risk when dealing with radioisotopes comes from the ionizing radiation plus contamination with radioactive particles emmitted from the source when no precautions are taken during handling of the radioisotope.
for medical check ups ,the common check is blood analysis( white cells , Hgb ,etc.) some times there is other check called whole body counter to check heavey rad. elements in body cells .

01:57 Jul-12-2004

K Anandam

Engineering, - DyGM - Operations & Reliability
Air Liquide India Limited,
India,
Joined Oct 2001
Re: RT SAFETY AND HEALTH Blood test in a year for blood count for RBC,WBC etc and Haemoglobin may be done apart from the film badge service. These two would indicate any damage because of excessive radiation before any one.

: Time, Distance and Sheilding. Keep your exposure "As Low As Reasonably Achievable". ALARA. That is your best and safest health precaution.
: If you are concerned aboout an acute dose, then you should seek medical attention immediately. Other than that I am not aware of any special medical exams that are required other than the normal employment physical exams.
: : Are there any other health precautions should be taken into consideration other than dosemeter/film badges for those who are dealing with radiactive sources i.eiridium 192.
: : for example does the radiographer should be subject to routine medical check if yes,what type and how frequent.

07:57 Jul-12-2004

Uli Mletzko

R & D, Retired
Germany,
Joined Nov 1998
Re: RT SAFETY AND HEALTH ----------- Start Original Message -----------
: Are there any other health precautions should be taken into consideration other than dosemeter/film badges for those who are dealing with radiactive sources i.eiridium 192.
: for example does the radiographer should be subject to routine medical check if yes,what type and how frequent.

At least in Germany (but possibly in the whole European Union) it is mandatory that a radiographer is subject to a medical check (including blood test) before starting his professional career.
The medical certificate of suitability is valid one year; then the check has to be repeated. Before 1976 the check frequency was even 6 months!
The check has to be paid by the employer. The certificates have to be filed 30 years after changing the job or after retirement, but not longer than 95 years age. So they are available e.g. for court cases regarding long-term damage etc.
But the doctor will also inform the employee, i.e. the radiographer, on bad results of the blood test.
So one will know not only about cancer or leukemia, caused by radiation, but will have also an early diagnosis of diabetes or hepatic diseases etc.

Regards
Uli Mletzko
MPA, University of Stuttgart, Germany

03:07 Jul-26-2004
Robert Grahn
Re: RT SAFETY AND HEALTH The only real comfort zone is Time, Distance, and Sheilding.
Bear in mind that there is "no amount of radiation not doing irrepairable damage!"
This is based on 25 years in NDT, the most of it done using Gamma Ray inspection devices.

01:47 Jul-20-2005
A . MADI
Re: RT SAFETY AND HEALTH the Alara is your reference, if you deal with Radioactive material: prior Job, you must take a radioactive safety course,physical medical exams and
training, after your first experience you will take a medical exams every 6 months as a routine.

: Time, Distance and Sheilding. Keep your exposure "As Low As Reasonably Achievable". ALARA. That is your best and safest health precaution.
: If you are concerned aboout an acute dose, then you should seek medical attention immediately. Other than that I am not aware of any special medical exams that are required other than the normal employment physical exams.
: : Are there any other health precautions should be taken into consideration other than dosemeter/film badges for those who are dealing with radiactive sources i.eiridium 192.
: : for example does the radiographer should be subject to routine medical check if yes,what type and how frequent.

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|