where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions
Career Discussions >
World Conference
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

00:01 Sep-08-2004

Dent McIntyre

Consultant, NDE Manager NDELevel III/3
NDT Consultant,
Canada,
Joined Nov 1998
World Conference

So what is everyone's opinion of the Montreal World Conference????

00:10 Sep-08-2004

Rolf D.

Director, Editor, Publisher, Internet, PHP MySQL
NDT.net,
Germany,
Joined Nov 1998
Re: World Conference ----------- Start Original Message -----------
:
: So what is everyone's opinion of the Montreal World Conference????
------------ End Original Message ------------

This is a good top to be discussed in the forum. Actually all conference attendants received in their bag a satisfactory questionnaire (see below), but I wonder if CINDE or Events International will publish their evaluation. Anyway, I'll try to get it for publishing at NDT.net. In our October issue we'll focus on the WCNDT together with a report incl. my impression of the conference, with photos etc, and of course the CD-ROM of the conference goes online!
It would be excellent if I could resume the here posted opinions on the WCNDT.
To get an idea what kind of opinions are asked, I added the organizers questionnaire below, but also I would like to add some additional questions as follows:

A. Was the conference programme with its 4 1/2 days to long or to short?
B. Was the exhibition with its 3 days opening: to long or to short?
C. What about controlling attendants by scanning of badges?
D. About the ~700 Papers/Posters: to many or not enough?
E. Should the review be improved, so more rejects of papers/posters?
F. How are you satisfied from the CD-ROM Proceedings?
- In general? - Resolution of images? - Search? - User friendly? Others:
G. Are authors satisfied to get their papers presented on the Internet (NDT.net)?
- Should the papers be published in PDF format and/or HTML format?

Thank you for taking time to post your opinion to the forum.

Rolf

-------- CINDE or Events Int' Questionnaire in principle --------
(Pls use accordingly: extremely satisfactory, very satisfactory, satisfactory, somewhat unsatisfactory, unsatisfactory)

1. Your country of origin
2. Your discipline/specialty
3. Who pays for your attendance
Corporation? - University? - Association? - Yourself?

4. In your opinion, what was the most effective means of informing you of the conference:
Direct Mail?- Media? - Booth at Prev Conf.? - Internet?

5. What is the most important reason for you to attend the 16th WCNDT:
Technical sessions? - Networking/Peers? - Montreal? - Exhibition?

6. What was your overall impression of the 16th WCNDT?

7. Do you feel your visit was the money worth? If not, Why:

8. Satisfaction of the technical programme (papers/posters)

9. Satisfaction of:
- overall Organization
- Montreal
- Audiovisual
- Registration
- Exhibition
- Palais des Congres
- Culture programme

10. Your 3 favourite speakers and/or sessions:

11. Your 3 favourite speakers and/or sessions you enjoyed at least and why:

12. What attracts you most:
- Product information
- Booth Design
- Promotional items
- Others

13. Please name the company whose booth left the most positive impression on you and why:

Future WCNDT:
14. Are you considering participating at the 17th WCNDT in China?
If not, Why:

Comments:

THANK YOU

04:47 Sep-08-2004

Ed Ginzel

R & D, -
Materials Research Institute,
Canada,
Joined Nov 1998
Re: World Conference Dent:
It was great to see you (and so many others) at the WCNDT in Montreal! The venue was "big" and the preseantations and expositions well attended. As well, since this was in Canada the costs (food and accomodation) were relatively affordable compared to some other places.

I attended many of the presentations which, for the most part, were interesting to see where the new technology is taking us. Most of the Array Transducer sessions were so well attended it was standing room only. A few presentations and exhibits were not so new and merely re-worked versions of previously presented activities or products.

After a bumpy start (as those delegates who tried to conform to the paper submission format will attest to) the whole thing seemed to move along as planned with not many problems.

You started this thread...what were your observations Dent?

Ed

----------- Start Original Message -----------
:

08:21 Sep-08-2004

Wolfgang Bisle

R & D, Project leader & Group Leader InService Inspect.
Airbus Deutschland GmbH,
Germany,
Joined Jul 2000
Re: World Conference Please don't take my comments too serious! ;-)

I will never understand this american way of credit point system. I was remembered to the times of the soviet union beeing supervised everywhere. To trust is good, to control is better.....George Orwell's Big Brother was scanning me....

And coffee breaks without coffee is strange... especially if the fee for attendees is such a lot. (o.k. there was some coffee in the exhibition, but too far away from the sessions and always put away when I was comming...

Next problems are the no-shows. They should loose all credit point for the whole year. Or their level. If you enter a session and afterwards 3 out of 5 lessons are no-shows... extremely bad... but this is not a special problem of this years conference, it seems to be usual at wcndt-conferences. Elsewhere it is not so common.

The session organization was very good, some papers a little hard to see, some should even improve their presentation skills and techniques... lots of equations are no guarantee for quality.
Good science is when you can explain your stuff even for the housewife.... or a director - they don't waht to waiste time.

The CD-ROM seems to be lousy assembled, the PDF-quality sometimes is quiet bad, and you can't stop it .... beeing pressed to watch all advertisings makes me feel mad. (I heard NDT.Net was not involved... Yes they would have done a much better Job!!!!)

Montreal was great. The weather too except the rainy Sunday where we tried to go imto the mountains....

The exhibition was also very interesting... a lot of contacts, a lot of oportunities.

Oh... the bag we got seems to be quiet handy... will see how long it will last, but having now a bag for Paper & Laptop makes may travel easier... Great.

ah.. another point:
It seemed to be rather difficult for the session hosts to supervise the lessions as they could not watch the screen sitting just aside of it.

Jean Piere Monchalin did the right thing: he left the podium and organized all things from the first row. But others started a blind flight
Should be improved next.

Also in the times of flat screens: It would have been much easier to have a LCD-Screen put directly into the lectern instead of looking sideways to an old PC CRT.
It is much harder that way to speak to the auditorium and keep an eye contact to the people.

Yes finally the party on Wednesday in Windsor Station
$75 was a lot. I got it with the conference fee included. But for those to bring their wife etc. with it was not worth the money.
Much too loud. Nothing to sit, even nothing to place the plate if you want to eat.
Gambling - What for?
No. That was not the hit.

Yes there was something positive: All the people I met. Great people. Great meetings. Lots of valuable contacts. Lots learned. All the discussions - really a benefit.

I wondered only: where was Boeing?
We had an aeronautic session - but nothing from the other big company in civil aeronautics. Airbus country?

And INCA. Great presentations. everywhere. You don't know INCA? Have you attended the presentations? Why I recognize it? Yes, thats a question.....family! Great family. You might have seen.
Greetings to all colleagues.
Wolfgang Bisle

03:53 Sep-09-2004

Joe Buckley

Consultant, ASNT L-III, Honorary Secretary of BINDT
Level X NDT, BINDT,
United Kingdom,
Joined Oct 1999
World Conference Comments ----------- Start Original Message -----------
:

Generally a very well-organised show, no major complaints, all below are very minor issues

As a conference attendee:
Swipe card system was rather strange, Not sure if I liked it or not, It did lead to bottlenecks and delays (I tended to leave just before the end of a talk to avoid the rush) there were some glitches, but it was sorted out fairly quickly. It also discouraged non-delegate exhibitors from attending the occasional paper. The system must have been quite expensive to run, all those people standing around. The applications screamed for an RFID system, and I am sure that, if this check in/out system is required, the technology will have advanced a lot by Shanghai, or even Berlin.

I would echo the comments from others about the coffee, Down in the exhibition, quite a long way from the talks, not much time to get there and only briefly available, I don’t think the Coffee sponsor got much goodwill for their money. Didn’t work for the exhibitors either – see below.

Conference pack pretty good. Nice bag, the papers CD I have mixed opinions about. Some of the PDF’s are not very good quality, others excellent, Indexing / search system very good, on-screen display of papers unnecessarily small. On my PC if the disc is removed before the program is exited the PC blue-screens and reboots.

The concert and celebration banquets seem to have been well regarded, but time constraints prevented me attending, I had no luck even giving the tickets away!

As a speaker.

I liked the presentation setup, the presentation submission system worked very well others have suggested that the CRT was not very convenient, It certainly beats having to look over your shoulder.

Only nice extra would have been a visible clock somewhere so you did not have to look at your watch while speaking.

As an exhibitor.

Facilities pretty good, the Palais de Congres is extremely well laid out for exhibitions. Truck access seemed pretty good, Spoilt slightly by the (almost) Thousand-dollar bill for moving some crates about 50 metres. – cost nearly as much as getting them across the Atlantic!

Visitor traffic was disappointing at times (and we had probably the No 1 location in the hall) I think the relatively short breaks and distance from the conference were a factor. With hindsight we should have used our hospitality room to attract people during the sessions, but we had not anticipated the issue and did not have people available to staff it.

Coffee was certainly an issue for the exhibitors. Spent hours teasing us by being ‘nearly ready’ then became available for a few minutes during the time when the conference attendees arrived and you were too busy to get any!.

All in all though a very good conference, sets a high standard for future ones, probably the best I've been to since las vegas in '85.

Joe

09:33 Sep-17-2004

Dent McIntyre

Consultant, NDE Manager NDELevel III/3
NDT Consultant,
Canada,
Joined Nov 1998
Re: World Conference I was absolutely impressed that Canada did such a great job. I want to commend the organizing committee for a job well done. They have showed how Canada can do things in such a professional way.

----------- Start Original Message -----------
: Dent:
: It was great to see you (and so many others) at the WCNDT in Montreal! The venue was "big" and the preseantations and expositions well attended. As well, since this was in Canada the costs (food and accomodation) were relatively affordable compared to some other places.
: I attended many of the presentations which, for the most part, were interesting to see where the new technology is taking us. Most of the Array Transducer sessions were so well attended it was standing room only. A few presentations and exhibits were not so new and merely re-worked versions of previously presented activities or products.
: After a bumpy start (as those delegates who tried to conform to the paper submission format will attest to) the whole thing seemedto move along as planned with not many problems.
: You started this thread...what were your observations Dent?
: Ed
:
: :
: : So what is everyone's opinion of the Montreal World Conference????

00:15 Sep-29-2004

Douglas J. Marshall

Director, -
CINDE,
Canada,
Joined Mar 2009
Re: World Conference I would like to thank everyone participating in the 16WCNDT Questionnaire and the additional information requested by the website host. I would agree that the information should be made public and displayed on the ICNDT website at the minimum.

As one of the organizers of the 16th WCNDT I am quite proud of the overall results and feedback from all participants, delegates, exhibitors, speakers, chairman, visitors and guests.

Your participation in answering the questionnaire will assist future World Conference hosts and other related conferences in structuring their venues.

The WCNDT conference follows the guidelines established in the Terms of Reference with respect to the technical program duration. The number of technical presentation days and ICNDT meetings are outlined in the Conference Guidelines. The number of concurrent sessions is open to the discretion of the Technical Organizing Committee, which is then based onthe number and quality of the submissions. What is quickly learned here are that the abstracts are not consistent with the paper quality and in some cases visa versa, i.e. quality authors submitting poor abstracts. With that said, it is important that the session chairman get involved in the selection and acceptance of the presentations.

The scanning device used at the technical sessions for the 16th WCNDT will provide valuable information for future conference, seminar organizers and technical journal editors to assist in what are the hot topics, etc. through monitoring of session attendance.

An additional note for the Webmaster; conference organizing committees should track the no-show papers, categorize and post for the technical committee to review prior to acceptance. It is important that the authors submitting papers have the intention to attend.

The Exhibition hours and duration is determined by the Organizing Committee. The 16th WCNDT based the hours on input from Exhibitors themselves. The hours of exhibition have a very fine line when it comes to what is enough. The answer is not easy as it is based on the quality of visitors and traffic flow. If both factors are met how can one determine if the duration, days and hours are too long or too short. This is an exhibitor’s decision.

Scanning of the delegate’s badges and exhibit visitors is an excellent way to track the number of entrances but unless one could extrapolate the time spent the information is no more valuable than the participant list.

The dedication of the WCNDT Conference Organizing Committee, CINDE staff and Events International made the 16th WCNDT a memorable event and as Canadian’s we should be proud. Great job!

Douglas J. Marshall
ICNDT Chairman

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|