where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions
Career Discussions >
C-Scan Tracking
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

06:58 Oct-25-2004

Godfrey Hands

Engineering,
PRI Nadcap,
United Kingdom,
Joined Nov 1998
C-Scan Tracking

Hi,
Some years ago I saw a device that tracked an Ultrasonic Probe with a TV camera, and plotted the position on a monitor.
This was for C-Scanning.
I believe the probe had a small LED on it, and the camera tracked that.

Does anybody have any information about this?

Regards,

Godfrey Hands

00:30 Oct-26-2004

Jan Verkooijen

Director,
Sonovation,
Netherlands,
Joined Nov 1998
Re: C-Scan Tracking ----------- Start Original Message -----------
: Hi,
: Some years ago I saw a device that tracked an Ultrasonic Probe with a TV camera, and plotted the position on a monitor.
: This was for C-Scanning.
: I believe the probe had a small LED on it, and the camera tracked that.
: Does anybody have any information about this?
: Regards,
: Godfrey Hands
------------ End Original Message ------------

Godfrey,

The system was originally 'invented' by UKAEA. Sonomatic built a commercial system initially, to display corrosion images. We have further developed the technique and make it available in our Sonovision system. The system can work on flat plates, bends, pipes, tees et cetera. It has also been succesfully applied at high temperatures. Please drop me a line and I will send you a full description of the system, or have a look at our website.

Best regards,

Jan Verkooijen

06:18 Oct-26-2004

John O'Brien

Consultant, -
Chevron ETC ,
USA,
Joined Jan 2000
Re: C-Scan Tracking The device you refer to is SEESCAN from AEA. I believe it is now with Veritec. Their contact details are on NDT net.

Alternatively contact Physical Acoustics Limited. they have a similar free motion scanning device which employs electromagnetic tracking. This avoids some of the problems encountered with the LED Device.

05:08 Oct-26-2004
Jim Knowles
Re: C-Scan Tracking Godfrey,
You are correct, originaly developed by AEA,but the system has now been much improved.
The system is now more reliable and the probe following capability better.
Please contact Phoenix Inspection Systems for further informion on 01925 826000.

: Hi,
: Some years ago I saw a device that tracked an Ultrasonic Probe with a TV camera, and plotted the position on a monitor.
: This was for C-Scanning.
: I believe the probe had a small LED on it, and the camera tracked that.
: Does anybody have any information about this?
: Regards,
: Godfrey Hands
------------ End Original Message ------------

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|