where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions
Career Discussions >
Ultrasonic transducer made by Accutron Inc
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

Canadian Institute for NDE
We are specialized in training for Radiography, Ultrasonics, Magnetic Particle, Liquid Penetrant, Eddy Current and emerging NDT technologies.

02:00 Nov-12-2004
Don W
Ultrasonic transducer made by Accutron Inc

I have a 20MHz 1/4 inch focussed UT immersion transducer with delay line part number 1B72 F.75 made by Accutron Inc. Does anybody know what happend to this company and how I can get another made ?

06:57 Nov-13-2004

Ed Ginzel

R & D, -
Materials Research Institute,
Canada,
Joined Nov 1998
Re: Ultrasonic transducer made by Accutron Inc ----------- Start Original Message -----------
: I have a 20MHz 1/4 inch focussed UT immersion transducer with delay line part number 1B72 F.75 made by Accutron Inc. Does anybody know what happend to this company and how I can get another made ?
------------ End Original Message ------------

Don:
Just a question on the style of probe. You indicate that it is a focused immersion probe. But it has a delayline. What is the purpose of the delay line on an immersion probe? Is this to alter the focal distance to some point different from the focus the element was curved for?
Ed

05:31 Nov-23-2004
Ethan
Re: Ultrasonic transducer made by Accutron Inc I can think of two reasons for using a delay line on an immersion probe. One would be to use the lens to focus the sound to be used in a contact mode (such as the Panametrics Sonopen or Staveley's golden spike)

The other application is usually a fused silica delay line permanently mounted in the transducer and the end of the delay is lensed. The purpose of this is two fold, one being better protection of the element (the matching layer at 20 MHz is very thin and susceptible to water damage). The second being that you have better lens control in fused silica than in a cast epoxy lens.

I don't know what came of Accutron but most transducer manufacturers will 'reverse engineer' the transducer for you if you can supply them an example. Otherwise, call any of these manufacturers and tell them what you need the transducer to do and they will work with you to custom design a unit

Cheers
Ethan

----------- Start Original Message -----------
: : I have a 20MHz 1/4 inch focussed UT immersion transducer with delay line part number 1B72 F.75 made by Accutron Inc. Does anybody know what happend to this company and how I can get another made ?
: Don:
: Just a question on the style of probe. You indicate that it is a focused immersion probe. But it has a delayline. What is the purpose of the delay line on an immersion probe? Is this to alter the focal distance to some point different from the focus the element was curved for?
: Ed
------------ End Original Message ------------

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|