where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions
Career Discussions >
Lean NDT procedures
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

Matec Instrument Companies, Inc.
Ultrasonic test instrumentation and systems for scientific research, quality control inspection and production testing applications.

08:13 Nov-23-2004
John Woollven
Lean NDT procedures

A popular trend in QA procedure writing is to eliminate all unnecessary verbiage and strive for "lean" documents.

Most NDT procedures that I have ever seen have been of the traditional type, usually re-hashing large chunks of some Code or Standard. I would be interested to hear from anyone who has thought outside the box and developed minimal NDT procedures that have been accepted by customers and jurisdictional authorities alike. For example, has anyone used a process map as a procedure?

As a somewhat frivolous aside, ASME Section V, in paragraph T-220, requires "at least" seven pieces of information "as applicable" to appear in a radiography procedure - would a procedure that addressed just these seven items be acceptable?

09:15 Nov-24-2004

Martin Peacock

Engineering
MB Inspection,
United Kingdom,
Joined Jan 2003
Re: Lean NDT procedures I am all for lean procedures and lean documents in general. There is a limit to how much you can take out without compromising the procedure. Many have to cover a range of options in terms of what is inspected and how.

I think what people should do is strive for clarity. A long document can still be clear and easy to use if it is well written and properly structured. You can always write separate and lean work instructions for specific items or jobs.

----------- Start Original Message -----------
: A popular trend in QA procedure writing is to eliminate all unnecessary verbiage and strive for "lean" documents.
: Most NDT procedures that I have ever seen have been of the traditional type, usually re-hashing large chunks of some Code or Standard. I would be interested to hear from anyone who has thought outside the box and developed minimal NDT procedures that have been accepted by customers and jurisdictional authorities alike. For example, has anyone used a process map as a procedure?
: As a somewhat frivolous aside, ASME Section V, in paragraph T-220, requires "at least" seven pieces of information "as applicable" to appear in a radiography procedure - would a procedure that addressed just these seven items be acceptable?
------------ End Original Message ------------

04:57 Nov-24-2004

Dent McIntyre

Consultant, NDE Manager NDELevel III/3
NDT Consultant,
Canada,
Joined Nov 1998
Re: Lean NDT procedures I am all for 'lean' procedures too, but you often get caught in the middle.
If you make it 'lean' with just enough info to get the necessary approvals from customer or regulators, you will probably need another instruction that is lengthy to tell the technician what he needs to do.

For example, if you just refer to ASME code paragraphs for information you can get away with short to the point procedures, but do you expect the technician to carry the ASME code with him to do the job. He will certainly need information from it and if it is only by reference in the procedure where does he get it?

In my 30+ years writing and approving procedures I have seen both ends of the scale and I tend to lean toward detailed procedures so everything the tech needs is in one place.
Have never seen anyone use a process map.

Good Topic John.

: A popular trend in QA procedure writing is to eliminate all unnecessary verbiage and strive for "lean" documents.
: Most NDT procedures that I have ever seen have been of the traditional type, usually re-hashing large chunks of some Code or Standard. I would be interested to hear from anyone who has thought outside the box and developed minimal NDT procedures that have been accepted by customers and jurisdictional authorities alike. For example, has anyone used a process map as a procedure?
: As a somewhat frivolous aside, ASME Section V, in paragraph T-220, requires "at least" seven pieces of information "as applicable" to appear in a radiography procedure - would a procedure that addressed just these seven items be acceptable?

00:51 Nov-24-2004

John O'Brien

Consultant, -
Chevron ETC ,
USA,
Joined Jan 2000
Re: Lean NDT procedures The QA Gurus created a 'wordsmithing' industry which has destroyed rain forests. As you point out ASME only requires certain bits of information and that may be all you need. A procedure does not have to contain 'work instructions' as that can be a seperate referenced entity.

You have to ask the question what are you trying to satisfy with the procedure. How you transfer the intent is open to negotiation so long as you can show that required data is there and is understandable.

people tend to wite procedures that read well and impress people and then fall down as they do not actually do waht the procedure says. A procedure should adrees mandatory requirmenets then say exactly what you do and you should be able to show you do what you say you do.

07:06 Dec-15-2004

Mike Trinidad

Consultant,
LMATS Pty Ltd ,
Australia,
Joined Jan 2003
Re: Lean NDT procedures I have seen all the types of procedures disussed from lean, detailed to flowcharts.

The leanest I have ever seen and was approved as the regulating body could not fault was the inspection will be carried out in accordance with AS2085 etc. In reality it cannot be faulted as the technician would have to have a copy of the code with him. As stated the ASME codes are a bit big for lugging around but for a smaller code it can be done.

Regarding flow charts I have seen a great one for weld inspections by a CWI.

Bottom line however is what keeps the clients happy and the procedures are written to their wants not what we may want. This bothers me as the original intent of QA system was not that we had to give copies of everything to clients as they are internal work practices however it has now become the norm. This leads into another form of lean document I have seen that is the client specific procedure that has only 10% of the information in it.

Regards

Mike

06:24 Dec-16-2004

David Harvey

Engineering
ATI - Wah Chang,
USA,
Joined Nov 2002
Re: Lean NDT procedures I have changed the system at my workplace to implement a short, 1-2 page, Customer or product specific "technique instruction." It is tied to a base procedure, and has the specific changes or requirements for a given Customer or product. The base procedure has all the boilerplate, and the two-pager has the essentials for setup and test per the specific requirement.

This works well, since we are basically a captive test lab, and the basic procedures are all written on the same format, and the big books are on the shelf close by. It has also seemed to satisfy the Customers that demand "tech sheets" for every test possibility.

I really like the leaning out of the documents. It seems to help us avoid the auditor game of "gotcha" with the technician, delving deep within some obscure boilerplate type of paragraph that the tech missed.
:
: : A popular trend in QA procedure writing is to eliminate all unnecessary verbiage and strive for "lean" documents.
: : Most NDT procedures that I have everseen have been of the traditional type, usually re-hashing large chunks of some Code or Standard. I would be interested to hear from anyone who has thought outside the box and developed minimal NDT procedures that have been accepted by customers and jurisdictional authorities alike. For example, has anyone used a process map as a procedure?
: : As a somewhat frivolous aside, ASME Section V, in paragraph T-220, requires "at least" seven pieces of information "as applicable" to appear in a radiography procedure - would a procedure that addressed just these seven items be acceptable?

02:15 Apr-18-2005
Jose Mora
Re: Lean NDT procedures One aspect of lean documents that I would like to see is the elimiation of the "web of cross references." It seems some people like to cross reference every document to every other document. Why not use the Device Master Record (medical devices) or a database to handle cross-references?

: I am all for lean procedures and lean documents in general. There is a limit to how much you can take out without compromising the procedure. Many have to cover a range of options in terms of what is inspected and how.
: I think what people should do is strive for clarity. A long document can still be clear and easy to use if it is well written and properly structured. You can always write separate and lean work instructions for specific items or jobs.
: : A popular trend in QA procedure writing is to eliminate all unnecessary verbiage and strive for "lean" documents.
: : Most NDT procedures that I have ever seen have been of the traditional type, usuallyre-hashing large chunks of some Code or Standard. I would be interested to hear from anyone who has thought outside the box and developed minimal NDT procedures that have been accepted by customers and jurisdictional authorities alike. For example, has anyone used a process map as a procedure?
: : As a somewhat frivolous aside, ASME Section V, in paragraph T-220, requires "at least" seven pieces of information "as applicable" to appear in a radiography procedure - would a procedure that addressed just these seven items be acceptable?

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|