where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions
Career Discussions >
Shear wave formula
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

02:12 Jan-14-2005
Bill
Shear wave formula

Does anyone have the UT shearwave formula for calculating the sound path and surface distance for a tubular, following the curvature of the tube, for a given angle, O.D., and thickness?
Thanks.

03:05 Jan-14-2005
Ned Janini
Re: Shear wave formula ----------- Start Original Message -----------
: Does anyone have the UT shearwave formula for calculating the sound path and surface distance for a tubular, following the curvature of the tube, for a given angle, O.D., and thickness?
: Thanks.
------------ End Original Message ------------
sent me a email and I'll send you a small excel program I create..

02:05 Jan-15-2005

N.Kuppusamy

Consultant, NDT Level-III Engineer
Advanced Inspection & Testing (S) Pte Ltd,
Singapore,
Joined Dec 2003
Re: Shear wave formula You can use the Thickness-OD ratio charts for calculating beam path and surface distance for tubular products. This is useful only for the direction perpendicular to the pipe axis. Replicating the surface curvature using profile gauge or lead wire and plotting it on a paper is very useful for curvature correction at any angle. This is mostly useful in testing of TKY connections.
N.Kuppusamy
----------- Start Original Message -----------
: : Does anyone have the UT shearwave formula for calculating the sound path and surface distance for a tubular, following the curvature of the tube, for a given angle, O.D., and thickness?
: : Thanks.
: sent me a email and I'll send you a small excel program I create..

06:17 Jan-16-2005

Ed Ginzel

R & D, -
Materials Research Institute,
Canada,
Joined Nov 1998
Re: Shear wave formula Sorry I am a bit late getting in on this thread.
SOme years ago I made the NDT ProblemSolver Software available on NDT.net.
you can download it from
http://www.ndt.net/publicat/bibliog/pss.htm

It is based on old DOS so a bit less splashy than today's materials but there is a section in the UT version that does geometry calculations. You enter diameter wall thickness and refracted angle from either the ID or OD and the distances are calculated.
Hope it is useful.

----------- Start Original Message -----------
: You can use the Thickness-OD ratio charts for calculating beam path and surface distance for tubular products. This is useful only for the direction perpendicular to the pipe axis. Replicating the surface curvature using profile gauge or lead wire and plotting it on a paper is very useful for curvature correction at any angle. This is mostly useful in testing of TKY connections.
: N.Kuppusamy
: : : Does anyone have the UT shearwave formula for calculating the sound path and surface distance for a tubular, following the curvature of the tube, for a given angle, O.D., and thickness?
: : : Thanks.
: : sent me a email and I'll send you a small excel program I create..

00:35 Jan-16-2015
David VanPelt
Re: Shear wave formula In Reply to Ned Janini at 03:05 Jan-14-2005 .

I am re certifying to Level II UT and a program like that would be very useful, if you still have it

Thanks,

Dave Van Pelt

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|