where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
ASNT AND AWS
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

GRANPECT COMPANY Ltd
GRANPECT, X-ray NDT Expert You Can Rely on

03:14 Sep-09-2000

paul kowell

ASNT AND AWS

I would like to hear from other people if they also think ASNT and AWS prices for serviecs and published marerials are a bit excessive.

05:11 Sep-16-2000

Michael Trinidad

Consultant, API 510 570 & 653
Marine Inspection Service Pty Ltd (MIS),
Australia,
Joined Jan 2003
Re: ASNT AND AWS : I would like to hear from other people if they also think ASNT and AWS prices for serviecs and published marerials are a bit excessive.

Compared to most the other societies it is all around the same. Bear in mind all the societies have different schemes which require more or less testing. Also it depends on where you are working, some certs are worth more in different countries than others.

01:33 Sep-16-2000

Gordon E. Smith

Consultant
H.C.Nutting, Co.,
USA,
Joined Nov 1998
Re: ASNT AND AWS To be sucessful a society must reflect solutions that answer the needs of its members and associated industries. When price levels for services and "goods" are viewed as high then the industry members do not look upon the "goods" as meeting their expectations.

This has happen to many societies as their committiees lost touch with their industrial or scientific base.

01:26 Sep-17-2000

N.NARENDRAN

Materials&Corrosion Engineer
Petronas Carigali Sdn Bhd,
Malaysia,
Joined Nov 1998
Re: ASNT AND AWS : I would like to hear from other people if they also think ASNT and AWS prices for serviecs and published marerials are a bit excessive.

I would share my experiences about not only ASNT
and also NACE .Most of these socities are money making
socities instead of serving better for the industry.
They make very small changes in code books and ask
people to pay high charges for new code books.
They discussion forums are less active and does not
understand the need of the industry very well.
I would say vey thaks for ndt.net and corrosionsource.com
and corrosiondoctors.com are serving very good for
the industry.

Regards
Naren

06:41 Sep-21-2000

Michael Trinidad

Consultant, API 510 570 & 653
Marine Inspection Service Pty Ltd (MIS),
Australia,
Joined Jan 2003
Re: ASNT AND AWS I honestly believe it is not the societies/certification bodies that have lost their scientific or industrial base but in fact the inspection companies, inspection idividuals and clients have lost their perspective.

Granted the cost of certifications and training is high, but comparision to what? I would agree that the costs are extremely high compared to the majority of inspection personnel wages which have not risen in most countries for the last ten years.

The only blame I can put on the societies/certification bodies in this matter is most of them offer these one day appreciation courses many of which simplyfies what we do leaving the attendee believing its not so difficult. The rest of the blame lies with inspection companies, inspection individuals and clients. Ruthless inspection companies keep undercutting each other until there is nothing left. Poorly trained or incompetent inspection individuals make mistakes which reflect poorly on the industry. The client wants even more for his inspection dollar and the preceding combination of low bidding inspection companies and poorly trained inspection individuals gives his/her more leverage to squeeze the price.

Inspection and NDT is as far as I am aware is the most tested and certified employment but it is not always rewarded with the professional recognition or renumeration.

Kindest Regards

Michael Trinidad

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|