where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions
Career Discussions >
long range UT
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

KARL DEUTSCH
INSTRUMENTS AND SYSTEMS FOR NON-DESTRUCTIVE TESTING OF MATERIALS.

07:00 Apr-26-2005
doddy
long range UT

Guys, I am looking for not expensive but good Long range UT to inspect existing pipeline and process piping.
The defect we are looking is Corrosion and leaking.
Please recommend me the product name and the web site, Thank you very much for your help.

03:22 Apr-26-2005

Godfrey Hands

Engineering,
PRI Nadcap,
United Kingdom,
Joined Nov 1998
Re: long range UT Dear Doddy,
NDT Consultants Ltd. in the United Kingdom are offering testing services and sales of equipment for Ultrasonic Guided Wave technology. Our marketing and operational area includes the ASEAN countries.

Our Guided Wave technology (like the other GW technologies) is an expensive system, but application by experts on an as-required basis can prove to be a very cost-effective solution. Alternatively, when there is a significant amount of work that needs to be done, purchase can be arranged.

Guided Wave Ultrasonics, from any of the current sources, does not precisely locate individual small defects, but indicates the approximate location that needs further (conventional) investigation.

Our system will however operate under Insulation, with Product in the pipe, and can operate at elevated or reduced temperatures.

Typical detection capabilities are 1 to 3% of pipe cross sectional area at distances of up to 200 metres.

The technology can also be used to inspect other inaccessible areas of piping such as buried road crossings, elevated road crossings etc., and could also be installed as a permanent monitoring system under insulation for regular condition monitoring without need for further insulation removal.

Please contact me directly with more details of your application and needs, and we can certainly help you.
Godfrey@ndt-consultants.co.uk

We expect to visit Malaysia and Singapore towards the end of next month, so could meet you there when we visit if you wish.

Regards,

Godfrey Hands
----------- Start Original Message -----------
: Guys, I am looking for not expensive but good Long range UT to inspect existing pipeline and process piping.
: The defect we are looking is Corrosion and leaking.
: Please recommend me the product name and the web site, Thank you very much for your help.
------------ End Original Message ------------

05:46 Apr-27-2005

John O'Brien

Consultant, -
Chevron ETC ,
USA,
Joined Jan 2000
Re: long range UT There are three main competeing Long Range UT Screening Systems Guided Ultrasonics Limited (GUL), TELETEST from Plant Integrity and MSS from SouthWest Reserach Institute. There are numerous vendors in South East Asia offering GUL and Teletest but I am not sure about MSS. Each system has advantages and disadvantages. Low Cost is only good if the inspection is effective. Inspection Effectiveness is a consideration of cost and the result. Many techniques and LRUT is among them may be operator dependent so you need to be sure people are qualified and competent to produce acceptable levels of results.

Be aware that especially with buried piping and heavy external coatings distance screened can be severely curtailed.

01:55 May-16-2005
jimmy
Re: long range UT long range UT is very good for pipeline corrosion inspection iam sure it will give u a very good summery about corrosion if its external/internal also its very fast, for me iam using GUL last 3 years and i did around 380 Km pipeline including 50km's of underground line

01:48 Jul-11-2005
Michael Qiao
Re: long range UT Dear John,

I'm looking for a LRUT system, please inform me the South East Asia vendors who could offer this device.

Thanks and Regards,

: There are three main competeing Long Range UT Screening Systems Guided Ultrasonics Limited (GUL), TELETEST from Plant Integrity and MSS from SouthWest Reserach Institute. There are numerous vendors in South East Asia offering GUL and Teletest but I am not sure about MSS. Each system has advantages and disadvantages. Low Cost is only good if the inspection is effective. Inspection Effectiveness is a consideration of cost and the result. Many techniques and LRUT is among them may be operator dependent so you need to be sure people are qualified and competent to produce acceptable levels of results.
: Be aware that especially with buried piping and heavy external coatings distance screened can be severely curtailed.

05:25 Jul-13-2005
Michael Qiao
Re: long range UT Dear Jimmy,

I have a couple questions about the LRUT:

1. Could we use the system to locate the leak point on the oil pipeline.

2. Could we use the GUL on buried underground pipeline also?

Look forward to your reply.

Thanks & Regards,

: long range UT is very good for pipeline corrosion inspection iam sure it will give u a very good summery about corrosion if its external/internal also its very fast, for me iam using GUL last 3 years and i did around 380 Km pipeline including 50km's of underground line

00:02 Jul-17-2005
jimmy
Re: long range UT yaa both are possible GUL is an online inspection for mainly oil trunk line in support, buried lines we can find leaks from pipeline also buried line we can do with GUL atpresent iam doing 33Km buried Pipline, but the distnace for the inspection is less considering above ground ; above ground we can do 100+100 meter each side but underground with thick bitumin coated possible only 20+20 meter each side and normal coating we can do upto 35-40 meter don't think GUL is a measuring tool its a locator actually, if you have more quires plz comeback to me
regards
jimmy

10:13 Jan-16-2013
Baskar
Re: long range UT In Reply to Michael Qiao at 01:48 Jul-11-2005 .

Hi Michael, you can contact PTAS, Brunei for LRUT

11:16 Jan-16-2013

Marjan

Malaysia,
Joined Jan 2013
Re: long range UT In Reply to Michael Qiao at 01:48 Jul-11-2005 .

Michael, we offer LRUT services with the Teletest Focus and are based in KL. We have 2 units and collars from 3 to 48". Most importantly we have CSWIP Level II certified and experienced inspectors. We have also done a 4 day course tailor made for our company by TWI UK for advanced analysis. Equipment is only as good as it's inspectors and there are some very creative reports out there! you can contact me via my e-mail if you wish.

03:13 Jan-17-2013

Mike Lee from Doppler company

Director,
Guangzhou Doppler Electronic Technologies Co.,Ltd,
China,
Joined Dec 2012
Re: long range UT In Reply to Marjan at 11:16 Jan-16-2013 .

Dear Friends who my concern:
hello everyone, as far as i know, for corrosion and leak inspecion, normally use guide wave transducer or dual elments transducer, the guide wave transducer should be together with guide wave equipment, but dual elements can be widely used together with ordinary flaw detector for near surface detection, espercially for thickness between 6mm to 20mm.We are professional manufacturer in UT industry, if there is any project pendingm,all can contact us through email registed. thanks in advance

03:00 Jan-18-2013
Reyaz S.
Re: long range UT In Reply to jimmy at 00:02 Jul-17-2005 .

With all due respect to experiences people are sharing, 20m in each direction on a buried line with "thick bitumen" coating is unheard of. You would have to see what sensitivity (if any) you have after even 7 to 10m in such conditions. Also, GWT is technically not a leak detection system. If the cause of the leak is a pinhole defect, GWT will not see the pinhole although it may detect the underlying corrosion. One should be very careful of such broad generalizations on the capabilities of this or any other application.

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|