where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions
Career Discussions >
Phased array Probes
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

00:01 May-19-2005
Phani
Phased array Probes

Can any Please tell me the difference between the Phase array transducers and linear array transducers.
are they same or different?

Thanks
Phani

01:45 May-19-2005

Joe Buckley

Consultant, ASNT L-III, Honorary Secretary of BINDT
Level X NDT, BINDT,
United Kingdom,
Joined Oct 1999
Re: Phased array Probes The simple answer is yes they are the same, but not exactly. An array of any shape is 'phased' by driving the different array elements with different timing, so that the resultant beam is scanned, steered or focused.

Most phased array transducers are linear arrays, but annular, segmented or 2-D arrays can also be driven by phased array equipment

Joe

---------- Start Original Message -----------
: Can any Please tell me the difference between the Phase array transducers and linear array transducers.
: are they same or different?
: Thanks
: Phani
------------ End Original Message ------------

02:26 May-20-2005

Paul A. Meyer

R & D,
GE Inspection Technologies,
USA,
Joined Nov 1998
Re: Phased array Probes Because the sound field is steered or focused, as indicated in the previous response, the individual elements in the array must be designed properly so sound field will maintain its integrity over the intended phasing range. Older style linear arrays with large elements are not suitable for many phased applications. This is the reason many phased arrays appear smaller than non-phased designs.
I hope this helps.
Paul

----------- Start Original Message -----------
: The simple answer is yes they are the same, but not exactly. An array of any shape is 'phased' by driving the different array elements with different timing, so that the resultant beam is scanned, steered or focused.
: Most phased array transducers are linear arrays, but annular, segmented or 2-D arrays can also be driven by phased array equipment
: Joe
:
: ---------- Start Original Message -----------
: : Can any Please tell me the difference between the Phase array transducers and linear array transducers.
: : are they same or different?
: : Thanks
: : Phani

05:54 May-24-2005
Phani
Re: Phased array Probes ----------- Start Original Message -----------
: Because the sound field is steered or focused, as indicated in the previous response, the individual elements in the array must be designed properly so sound field will maintain its integrity over the intended phasing range. Older style linear arrays with large elements are not suitable for many phased applications. This is the reason many phased arrays appear smaller than non-phased designs.
: I hope this helps.
: Paul
: : The simple answer is yes they are the same, but not exactly. An array of any shape is 'phased' by driving the different array elements with different timing, so that the resultant beam is scanned, steered or focused.
: : Most phased array transducers are linear arrays, but annular, segmented or 2-D arrays can also be driven by phased array equipment
: : Joe
: :
: : ---------- Start Original Message -----------
: : : Can any Please tell me the difference between the Phase array transducers and linear array transducers.
: : : are they same or different?
: : : Thanks
: : : Phani

Thank you very much.

Regards
Phani

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|