where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions
Career Discussions >
Re: Personal stamp of NDT operator
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

Eddyfi
Pursuing and developing eddy current array (ECA) technology to its full potential.

00:37 May-24-2005
Lawrence Goldberg
Re: Personal stamp of NDT operator

It would seem that when you get your stamp out, how far do we go in actually checking personnels competency. The last one I heard of was FAWS, which was Fellow Azerbaijan Welding Society.----------- Start Original Message -----------
:
: From the rules
: "7.5. The PCN logo or any reference to PCN shall not be used in such a way as to imply that PCN accepts any responsibility for the accuracy of any tests conducted by any certificated personnel or organisation. This precludes the use of rubber stamps bearing the PCN logo."
: Full document
: http://www.bindt.org/Mk1Site/PCN.pdfs/PSL31.pdf
: this would imply to me that there are no official PCN stamps,(I've certainly never seen one.) Presumably if you get an unofficial one made up, not using the logo, thats probably OK.
: Suggest you discuss it with John...
: : Mike,
: : PCN stamps of operator qualification have been available for as long as PCN has been established. Any operator qualified under the PCN scheme can obtain a stamp ora number of stamps depending on his / her qualifications.----------- Start Original Message -----------
: : : G'Day Bill
: : : The PCN ones are they issued at the time of certification or are they an optional extra?
: : : Curious as I have had numerous PCN certified technicians in SE Asia whom I have had certified and assisted in recertification but I have never seen a stamp issued to them. Everything does run a bit different out here though so anything is possible.
: : : Kindest Regards
: : : Mike Trinidad
: : : : : G'Day Dmitri
: : : : : I know of no standard that requires NDT operator stamps or requirements for them.
: : : : : Some clients I guess like them as I have had to make them up over the years and stamp pretty colours over the reports but it is their preference not a standard requirement.
: : : : : Welding inspectors, both AWS and CSWIP get stamps but NDT and API don't.
: : : : : It would be good to have actual accreditation stamps but for some reason they don't exist.
: : : : :
: : : : : Regards
: : : : : Mike Trinidad
: : : : : : Please, tell me-where I can find the requirements to a personal stamp of NDT operator ?
: : : : : : I need to order my personal stamp of NDT operator to put it in the records. Usually I put in records only my signatory, but now I got a requirement from customers to put in addition my personal stamp.
: : : : : : Should I register my personal stamp ? Where I should I register my personal stamp ?
: : : : : : Thanks for your help.
: : : : I think the sweeping statement that NDT operators do not have personal stamps in quite incorrect. PCN have issued stamps for each discipline held for a lot of years now. Whether it be level 1,2 or 3 Ultrasonic inspection or Dye Penetrant inspection. The stamps which are issued are quite clear as to the operators level of qualification, method, name of the operator and PCN number.
: : : : Bill
------------ End Original Message ------------

08:29 Jun-07-2005
kev madden
Re: Personal stamp of NDT operator ----------- Start Original Message -----------
: It would seem that when you get your stamp out, how far do we go in actually checking personnels competency. The last one I heard of was FAWS, which was Fellow Azerbaijan Welding Society.----------- Start Original Message -----------
: :
: : From the rules
: : "7.5. The PCN logo or any reference to PCN shall not be used in such a way as to imply that PCN accepts any responsibility for the accuracy of any tests conducted by any certificated personnel or organisation. This precludes the use of rubber stamps bearing the PCN logo."
: : Full document
: : http://www.bindt.org/Mk1Site/PCN.pdfs/PSL31.pdf
: : this would imply to me that there are no official PCN stamps,(I've certainly never seen one.) Presumably if you get an unofficial one made up, not using the logo, thats probably OK.
: : Suggest you discuss it with John...
: : : Mike,
: : : PCN stamps of operator qualification have been available for as long as PCN has been established. Any operator qualified under the PCN scheme can obtain a stamp or a number of stamps depending on his / her qualifications.----------- Start Original Message -----------
: : : : G'Day Bill
: : : : The PCN ones are they issued at the time of certification or are they an optional extra?
: : : : Curious as I have had numerous PCN certified technicians in SE Asia whom I have had certified and assisted in recertification but I have never seen a stamp issued to them. Everything does run a bit different out here though so anything is possible.
: : : : Kindest Regards
: : : : Mike Trinidad
: : : : : : G'Day Dmitri
: : : : : : I know of no standard that requires NDT operator stamps or requirements for them.
: : : : : : Some clients I guess like them as I have had to make them up over the years and stamp pretty colours over the reports but it is their preference not a standard requirement.
: : : : : : Welding inspectors, both AWS and CSWIP get stamps but NDT and API don't.
: : : :: : It would be good to have actual accreditation stamps but for some reason they don't exist.
: : : : : :
: : : : : : Regards
: : : : : : Mike Trinidad
: : : : : : : Please, tell me-where I can find the requirements to a personal stamp of NDT operator ?
: : : : : : : I need to order my personal stamp of NDT operator to put it in the records. Usually I put in records only my signatory, but now I got a requirement from customers to put in addition my personal stamp.
: : : : : : : Should I register my personal stamp ? Where I should I register my personal stamp ?
: : : : : : : Thanks for your help.
: : : : : I think the sweeping statement that NDT operators do not have personal stamps in quite incorrect. PCN have issued stamps for each discipline held for a lot of years now. Whether it be level 1,2 or 3 Ultrasonic inspection or Dye Penetrant inspection. The stamps which are issued are quite clear as to the operators level of qualification, method, name of the operator and PCN number.
: : : : : Bill
------------ End Original Message ------------

You can get a stamp made anywhere or you can get one from BINT, It should have your name, discipline, level and PCN No:
You do not automatically get one with CSWIP 3.1 & 3.2, again you must apply for it and changing the subject slightly, someone mentioned operators in Asia,

As a team leader senior inspector you should always check these guys out PCN or ASNT - give them a quick approvals test as theres a lot of chancers around, there are some good guys in singapore and the philippinos tend to be ok (in my experience) if they arent upto it, run em off!!!! far to many companies are making a buck now by sending L 1's on jobs who quite honestly dont know their arse from their elbows!
end of rant!!

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|