where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
ultrasonic propogation in APPLES
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

00:22 Sep-17-2000
Robin Landry
ultrasonic propogation in APPLES

Hello I am doing experiments involving the propogation of ultrasonic waves in apples for a project through my college and am wondering how the hardness of an apple affects the waves propogating through the apple.

02:18 Sep-17-2000

Dr. Amos Mizrach

Engineering, R&D
Institute of Agricultural Engineering - The Volcani Center,
Israel,
Joined Oct 1999
Re: ultrasonic propogation in APPLES : Hello I am doing experiments involving the propogation of ultrasonic waves in apples for a project through my college and am wondering how the hardness of an apple affects the waves propogating through the apple.

Due to the high percentage of intercellular air-spaces in apples tissue, measurements of ultrasonic parameters is very difficult as a result of high waves attenuation in the tissue. Low frequency (less then 100kHz) might allow certain valuable measurements to yield some results. In any case, both, the velocity and the amplitude of the ultrasonic waves are a function of the hardness (firmness) of the fruit and positively correlated.

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|