where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions
Career Discussions >
Multidiscipline???
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

05:23 Jun-15-2005
John Hower
Multidiscipline???

On this forum, I found a guys resume with lot of job involvement in various engineering fields. Does it really fit for an assessment? No one can be a master of everything. It seems he has really lost focus on which field he belongs. I trust the idea of Multidiscipline Inspector to an extent is a hoax. Most of the youngsters are really losing focus on what they need to achieve. I have come across so many resumes which writes a lot of various Engineering roles, but in an interview doesn't know which Engineering field they belong. Any comments

08:10 Jun-15-2005
Darren Reilly
Re: Multidiscipline??? I agree with your point.

Looking at some of the resumes, not just on this site but others also, I have noticed that some people have that much experience/qualifications that they would have to be around 150 years old.

This will eventually lead to employers feeling frustrated at the lack of honesty and they will look elsewhere for future applicants leaving the honest ones to struggle even more to find employment.

03:17 Jun-16-2005
John Hower
Re: Multidiscipline??? That's right, definitely it will affect the job market. I believe the focus must be on honest resumes. But honest applicants always gets kicked out due to several such bogus CV's. I have seen people who has over 25 years experience in field still faking their resume by incorporating stolen terminologies from several fields of Engineering to decorate their dishonesty. I really cant understand the requirement for such a thing if you really are experienced over 25 years! These acts of faking resume are really spoiling the job scenario.

05:27 Jun-17-2005

James Gauthier

NDT Inspector, Operations Manager
GE Inspection Services,
USA,
Joined Nov 2007
Re: Multidiscipline??? I interviewed several promising Ultrasonic Technicians whose resume read extremely well. All of the individuals were highly experienced, qualified (Centrally Certified), etc. The interesting point is that our interview process required them to calibrate, establish sensitivity, and inspect some known test samples. The individuals were required to accept/reject to either ASME or AWS whichever they were more comfortable with.

I have to say I was more than a little concerned. None of the individuals could calibrate the instrument much less find a defect. One of the candidates then said he was not used to using a USN58L or EPOCH IV as a test instrument. He stated that he used a USN52 for all his inspection experience. I excused myself and went and grabbed a USN52 from the shop floor and gave him a chance to redo the exam. Again he failed miserably.

It is extremely upsetting to know you have to screen a resume with such paranoia. You can't belive what you read. This is one of the main reasons I believe in a performance qualification during the interview. It takes longer but you certainly weed out the individuals that have hyped up their resumes.

03:26 Jun-18-2005

Nick Welland

Other, Quality and NDT
Aben Technical Services,
Australia,
Joined Oct 1999
Re: Multidiscipline??? ----------- Start Original Message -----------
: I agree with your point.
: Looking at some of the resumes, not just on this site but others also, I have noticed that some people have that much experience/qualifications that they would have to be around 150 years old.
: This will eventually lead to employers feeling frustrated at the lack of honesty and they will look elsewhere for future applicants leaving the honest ones to struggle even more to find employment.
------------ End Original Message ------------

The problem of "hyped up" resumes has been around for ever.
In the Seventies it was almost universal for UT operators to have to pass a practical test to get a start on a given project. This was toned down in some quarters as more robust schemes of central certification were introduced. We still find that the holding of a certificate and claimed experience does not make a technician.
UT requires a very odd set of personal attributes and I have wondered whether anyone has ever developed a workable psychometric test to identify suitable prospective persons.
Regards,
Nick

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|