where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions
Career Discussions >
ASNT L III STANDARD
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

YXLON International GmbH
X-ray and CT based NDT systems for a wide range of industrial applications.

06:10 Jun-23-2005

SANDROAN

Consultant
SANDROAN NDT TECHNOLOGIES,
India,
Joined Oct 2004
ASNT L III STANDARD

Dear sirs,
I came across few occations that Level III those who passed in some selected countries have much value than some other countries. Is it true OR all examinations are conducted in same standard.

I would prefer better Exam center which is much more valuable than else.

Thanks

Sandroan

03:09 Jun-24-2005
David
Re: ASNT L III STANDARD ----------- Start Original Message -----------
: Dear sirs,
: I came across few occations that Level III those who passed in some selected countries have much value than some other countries. Is it true OR all examinations are conducted in same standard.
: I would prefer better Exam center which is much more valuable than else.
: Thanks
: Sandroan

I believe the question papers are all centrally prepared in the USA so worldwide exams would be to an identical standard.
The problem is that some areas have concentrated training courses aimed purely at passing the exam irrespective of NDT ability and experience.
When ASNT discontinued the experience verification part of the Level III programme they left the door open to this abuse.
In their pursuit of money ASNT have done the NDT community a great disservice and allowed many substandard "wannabes" to jump on the bandwagon and bring down the status of genuine Level III's.
I have met several Level III's who are not at Level II (I) standard let alone Level III and these people are dragging down the whole structure, they have a very limited knowledge of NDT outside the course and cannot make informed or accurate assessments of the work in hand.
I did hope that the ACCP scheme would help redress some of this but it seems they were also "given away" (grandfathered) for cash. A wasted opprtunity to redeem some of the damage done in recent years.
I hold Level III ASNT and ACCP in several methods and have over 40 years experience in NDT, it saddens me to see the way the profession is being degraded by people "certified" way above their ability.

------------ End Original Message ------------

04:41 Jun-25-2005

William Blum

Consultant, Training, Level III Services
NDT Consulting Group Inc.,
USA,
Joined Nov 2000
Re: ASNT L III STANDARD

----------- Start Original Message -----------
: : Dear sirs,
: : I came across few occations that Level III those who passed in some selected countries have much value than some other countries. Is it true OR all examinations are conducted in same standard.
: : I would prefer better Exam center which is much more valuable than else.
: : Thanks
: : Sandroan
: I believe the question papers are all centrally prepared in the USA so worldwide exams would be to an identical standard.
: The problem is that some areas have concentrated training courses aimed purely at passing the exam irrespective of NDT ability and experience.
: When ASNT discontinued the experience verification part of the Level III programme they left the door open to this abuse.
: In their pursuit of money ASNT have done the NDT community a great disservice and allowed many substandard "wannabes" to jump on the bandwagon and bring down the status of genuine Level III's.
: I have met several Level III's who arenot at Level II (I) standard let alone Level III and these people are dragging down the whole structure, they have a very limited knowledge of NDT outside the course and cannot make informed or accurate assessments of the work in hand.
: I did hope that the ACCP scheme would help redress some of this but it seems they were also "given away" (grandfathered) for cash. A wasted opprtunity to redeem some of the damage done in recent years.
: I hold Level III ASNT and ACCP in several methods and have over 40 years experience in NDT, it saddens me to see the way the profession is being degraded by people "certified" way above their ability.
------------ End Original Message ------------

Well said! And true too!

09:32 Jun-26-2005

Carl Berrojo

Engineering
Northrop Grumman,
USA,
Joined May 2002
Re: ASNT L III STANDARD Sandroan,

All ASNT exams are forwarded to the examination centers from ASNT in Ohio. Also, there is no reference on your Level III certificate indicating where the exam was taken, so, all exam sites should be considered equal.

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|