where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions
Career Discussions >
Robotic Inspections: Pros / Con / Experience
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

IMG ULTRASUONI SRL
Ultrasonic transducers for industrial applications (NDT) and medical (Doppler effect). Probes, Ultrasonic instruments, Special systems for NDT.

08:38 Jun-27-2005
K. F.
Robotic Inspections: Pros / Con / Experience

All,

An inspection company has recently sent my company information on inspections that they perform with ROV's.(Remote Operated Vehicle) I have some experience with ROV's taking UT Thickness readings on storage tank shells externaly. (B-scan and grid-type straight beam) This brief experience was about 6 or so years ago, and there seemed to me to be a high level of expertise needed on the part of the technician/operator, in order to operate, calibrate, and trouble shoot the equipment. With this being said, it seemed that this would be something that would be utilized for a storage tank that stored a none hazardous material. (i.e. water)

The particular ROV system is OTIS. Since I don't have much experience with much of the ROV technology that seems to be out there, I figured that I would post to see what others experience is with this system or other systems that are out there. I would like to know the pro's, as well as the con's of ROV inspections as well as experiences that companies with storagetanks have had with these type of inspections. Good. Bad. Possible recomendations. How these inspection compare to tanking equipment out of service and haveing the same inspections performed by inspection personal.

Thank you,

K.Fosha

03:30 Jun-27-2005
Richard Kazares
Re: Robotic Inspections: Pros / Con / Experience We manufacture an automated "shell" inspection system - called the "Large Structure Inspection (LSI) System" - which is a magnetically attached (125 Kg force) robotic scanner with EXTREMELY high-speed scanning capability - for thickness, shear and TOFD applications.

There are over 40 of these systems operating World-Wide on a VARIETY of structures - including tanks, heat exchanger shells, spheres, ship hulls, piping, and other structural elements.

The system is proven, and afordable - and also fully automated - with a MINIMUM of operator setup and intervention. For thickness applications, operator skill requirement is NOT prohibitive.

I will send you further information, privately.

----------- Start Original Message -----------
: All,
: An inspection company has recently sent my company information on inspections that they perform with ROV's.(Remote Operated Vehicle) I have some experience with ROV's taking UT Thickness readings on storage tank shells externaly. (B-scan and grid-type straight beam) This brief experience was about 6 or so years ago, and there seemed to me to be a high level of expertise needed on the part of the technician/operator, in order to operate, calibrate, and trouble shoot the equipment. With this being said, it seemed that this would be something that would be utilized for a storage tank that stored a none hazardous material. (i.e. water)
: The particular ROV system is OTIS. Since I don't have much experience with much of the ROV technology that seems to be out there, I figured that I would post to see what others experience is with this system or other systems that are out there. I would like to know the pro's, as well as the con's of ROV inspections as well as experiences that companies with storage tanks have had with these type of inspections. Good. Bad. Possible recomendations. How these inspection compare to tanking equipment out of service and haveing the same inspections performed by inspection personal.
: Thank you,
: K.Fosha
------------ End Original Message ------------

03:20 Jul-01-2005

John O'Brien

Consultant, -
Chevron ETC ,
USA,
Joined Jan 2000
Re: Robotic Inspections: Pros / Con / Experience OTIS is the leading brand name in in-service robots for storage tank inspection with fluid still inside. API 653 now specifically references this technology although not in any way mandating or recommending it. The use of a robotic vehicle with either UT or Electromagnetics to measure actual wall thickness is one option of assessing storage tank floors without removing the tank from service. OTIS works in both hydrocarbon and non hydrocarbon environments.

You may only apply it to a sample or the whole floor. As with any technique it has advantages, disadvantages and limitations.

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|