where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions
Career Discussions >
Fatigue vs. Stress
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

07:39 Jul-20-2005

Ron Olson

R & D, Aerospace
The Best Aviation Company In The World,
USA,
Joined Feb 2005
Fatigue vs. Stress

Is stress the same thing as fatigue? I thought they were the same. Any engineers care to take this one? Thank you.

03:31 Jul-21-2005

Ed Ginzel

R & D, -
Materials Research Institute,
Canada,
Joined Nov 1998
Re: Fatigue vs. Stress I am not an engineer but the definitions are commonly available to those in NDT.
Stress: force per unit area
Fatigue: cyclic application of stress

Whereas fatigue is the process, the result is often fatigue failure. In this type of failure maximum stresses may be below the yield stress.

Ed

----------- Start Original Message -----------
: Is stress the same thing as fatigue? I thought they were the same. Any engineers care to take this one? Thank you.
------------ End Original Message ------------

09:36 Jul-21-2005

John Brunk

Engineering, NDT Level III
Self employed, part-time,
USA,
Joined Oct 1999
Re: Fatigue vs. Stress ----------- Start Original Message -----------
: Is stress the same thing as fatigue? I thought they were the same. Any engineers care to take this one? Thank you.

Fatigue is often used to mean the tendency of a material or object to break as the result of repeated or cyclic stress, as for example an expected fatigue life of 250,000 cycles. Stress is essentially the same thing as force, as in stress-strain curve. Fatigue cracking is the result of cyclic stress such as repeated bending and straightening, flexing, taking off and landing, etc.

09:37 Jul-21-2005

John Brunk

Engineering, NDT Level III
Self employed, part-time,
USA,
Joined Oct 1999
Re: Fatigue vs. Stress ----------- Start Original Message -----------

Fatigue is often used to mean the tendency of a material or object to break as the result of repeated or cyclic stress, as for example an expected fatigue life of 250,000 cycles. Stress is essentially the same thing as force, as in stress-strain curve. Fatigue cracking is the result of cyclic stress such as repeated bending and straightening, flexing, taking off and landing, etc.

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|