where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

Technical Discussions
Gharieb Adly Ali
Other, Ultrasonic Researcher
National Institute for Standards, Egypt, Joined Oct 1999, 1

Gharieb Adly Ali

Other, Ultrasonic Researcher
National Institute for Standards,
Egypt,
Joined Oct 1999
05:04 Sep-18-2000
Elect.Impedance of PZT Pickup

Dear colleagues

For economical purpose I had construct a simple PZT pickup
From PZT -4 Material of Fundamental frequency 2MHZ
When I measured the Electrical Impedance of Pickup against frequency
(Over frequency range 10 KHz to 4 MHZ )
I was found three Peaks
1- first at 250 kHz
2- second at 850 kHz
3- third at 3300 kHz
I Haven't explanation for this result, may be any colleague
has an explanation
Thank you very much

Jim Barshinger
Engineering
General Electric Global Research Center, USA, Joined Aug 2000, 8

Jim Barshinger

Engineering
General Electric Global Research Center,
USA,
Joined Aug 2000
05:44 Sep-18-2000
Re: Elect.Impedance of PZT Pickup
:
: Dear colleagues

: For economical purpose I had construct a simple PZT pickup
: From PZT -4 Material of Fundamental frequency 2MHZ
: When I measured the Electrical Impedance of Pickup against frequency
: (Over frequency range 10 KHz to 4 MHZ )
: I was found three Peaks
: 1- first at 250 kHz
: 2- second at 850 kHz
: 3- third at 3300 kHz
: I Haven't explanation for this result, may be any colleague
: has an explanation
: Thank you very much

The first and second peaks are most likely lateral resonances in the material. If you only have one lateral dimension, for instance a circular or square ceramic, I would guess that the 250 kHz peak is the fundamental lateral resonance and the 850 kHz peak is the third harmonic of the lateral resonance. The 3300 kHz peak should be your fundamental thickness mode resonance. I'm guessing that you are measuring the parallel resonance which will be a point of maximum real impedance. The series resonance should occur slightly lower in frequency and is a point of minimum real impedance. This should occur at 2 MHz (if you have ground your ceramic to the correct thickness). The center frequency that the device will run at depends on whether your recieving electronics matches better with the series or parallel resonance.

Good luck,
Jim

Product Spotlight

Mentor UT – Ultrasonic Phased Array Flaw Detector

With Mentor UT, you get an accessible and efficient inspection experience. Create user-defined menus
and workflows (“apps”) with GE’s desktop software Mentor Create to ensure consistency, even for the most complex inspections, every time. Mentor UT is the first UT device to easily allow wireless connectivity and live streaming, so you get second opinions when you need them most—in real-time.
>

I&T Nardoni

NDT, RESEARCH AND DEVELOPMENT OF NEW METHODOLOGY, TRAINING CENTER I&T NARDON INSTITUTE was idiated
in 1988 by Giuseppe Nardoni, now president and owner of the company, based on his multi-annual and international experience in the field of NDT.
>

Research and Applications Development For NDT

The Research and Applications Development (RAD) group is a newly formed team within Acuren dedicat
ed to tackling challenging inspection problems. Our focus is the development of novel, field deployable, advanced inspection techniques for use in cases where standard NDT methods are ineffective. We don't wait for new innovations, we engineer them. From concept to commissioning.
>

Lyft™: Pulsed Eddy Current Reinvented

PEC Reinvented—CUI Programs Redefined Corrosion under insulation (CUI) is possibly the greatest u
nresolved asset integrity problem in the industry. Current methods for measuring wall thickness with liftoff, without removing insulation, all have severe limitations. Eddyfi introduces Lyft — a reinvented, high-performance pulsed eddy current (PEC) solution. The patent- pending system features a state-of-the-art portable instrument, real- time C-scan imaging, fast data acquisition with grid-mapping and dynamic scanning modes, and flexibility with long cables. It can also scan through thick metal and insulation, as well as aluminum, stainless steel, and galvanized steel weather jackets. Who else but Eddyfi to reinvent an eddy current technique and redefine CUI programs. Got Lyft?
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window