where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions
Career Discussions >
Cabinet Xray System
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

04:12 Jul-31-2005

Steven Johnson

Consultant
USA,
Joined Mar 2004
Cabinet Xray System

On the last two jobs I have had the employer has been able to find a grey area in the licensing of xray systems. They have found a escape clause which allows them to license xray systems in "vaults" as cabinet xray systems. By doing this you eliminate the need to have people formally trained with 40 hours of radiation safety plus taking the State Test.
The in-house trained Level II I work with doesn't even know how to read a survey meter. There seams to be a problem with this set up however, while conduting surveys of the back door of the vault (which I am not required to do) the dose rates are 26 mr contact. Not until you get ten feet away dose the dose rate drop to 2 mr. It seams to me this cabinet xray licensing is a dangerous. Both States I have worked in are agreement States which don't really care about xray use, only radioactive materials.

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|