where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

Technical Discussions
Michael Trinidad
Consultant,
LMATS Pty Ltd , Australia, Joined Jan 2003, 138

Michael Trinidad

Consultant,
LMATS Pty Ltd ,
Australia,
Joined Jan 2003
02:38 Sep-29-2000
Beer's Law

Does anyone know where the Beer's law in relationship to penetrant testing reference is found? It has been a question nagging me for a few years and I thought the answer would be in the McMaster handbook reference. I was fortunate enough to obtain a copy of this book and found no reference to Beer's law whatsoever.

Searching on the internet resulted in beer drinking locations around the world but finally I found Beer-Lambert law. This however doesn't answer my question as every web page has a different formula and doesn't have anything to do with liquid penetrant.

My guess beers law as it relates to the transmission of light through a liquid/medium has something to do with the hydraphillic refractometer test.

I passed this exam some time ago but I am still very curious at what this law has to do with PT at all.

Kindest Regards

Michael Trinidad

Bryan Pilati
R & D
US Army AATD, USA, Joined Feb 2002, 1

Bryan Pilati

R & D
US Army AATD,
USA,
Joined Feb 2002
05:50 Sep-29-2000
Re: Beer's Law
I believe the light transmission test has something to do with whether the bottle is green or brown. If it's clear it gets a low score. Now the age of the liquid is also a factor in the score. How that helps. Have a nice weekend. :)

: Does anyone know where the Beer's law in relationship to penetrant testing reference is found? It has been a question nagging me for a few years and I thought the answer would be in the McMaster handbook reference. I was fortunate enough to obtain a copy of this book and found no reference to Beer's law whatsoever.

: Searching on the internet resulted in beer drinking locations around the world but finally I found Beer-Lambert law. This however doesn't answer my question as every web page has a different formula and doesn't have anything to do with liquid penetrant.

: My guess beers law as it relates to the transmission of light through a liquid/medium has something to do with the hydraphillic refractometer test.

: I passed this exam some time ago but I am still very curious at what this law has to do with PT at all.

: Kindest Regards

:
: Michael Trinidad

Curt Powell
Curt Powell
06:19 Sep-29-2000
:Michael, I find a reference to Beer's Law in "NonDestructive Testing", a Louis Cartz book published by ASM International but it is in the radiographic section. In its text, it refers to Beer's Law, also known as Lambert's Law, and gives yet another reference book "R Jenkins and J L DeVries Practical Xray Spectrometry published by Phillips Technical Library 1967". In general, it adresses absorbtion and scattering of xrays in matter. Good luck!
Does anyone know where the Beer's law in relationship to penetrant testing reference is found? It has been a question nagging me for a few years and I thought the answer would be in the McMaster handbook reference. I was fortunate enough to obtain a copy of this book and found no reference to Beer's law whatsoever.

: Searching on the internet resulted in beer drinking locations around the world but finally I found Beer-Lambert law. This however doesn't answer my question as every web page has a different formula and doesn't have anything to do with liquid penetrant.

: My guess beers law as it relates to the transmission of light through a liquid/medium has something to do with the hydraphillic refractometer test.

: I passed this exam some time ago but I am still very curious at what this law has to do with PT at all.

:

Michael Trinidad
Consultant,

Michael Trinidad

Consultant,
LMATS Pty Ltd ,
Australia,
Joined Jan 2003
02:56 Sep-30-2000
It seems everyone so far is having the same trouble I am having linking "Beer's Law" with PT. I find plenty of the same references to radiographic methods and microscopic examination of biological matter but nothing related to PT.

I emailed a few people at the certification group who often has questions about this law to see if they can shed some insight on what it has to do with PT.

Kindest Regards

Michael Trinidad

Dent McIntyre
Consultant, NDE Manager NDELevel III/3
NDT Consultant, Canada, Joined Nov 1998, 248

Dent McIntyre

Consultant, NDE Manager NDELevel III/3
NDT Consultant,
Canada,
Joined Nov 1998
05:17 Oct-04-2000
I have found reference to Beer's Law regarding Liquid Penetrants.

NDT Handbook second Edition Volume 2 Liquid Penetrant Tests page 316.

From my understanding it deals with dilution and expansion of a penetrant entrapment into an overlay layer of liquid developer.
"If Beer's law were to hold strictly true then no change in color or fluorescence response would result"

Hope this helps with your nagging question.

Dent McIntyre

: Does anyone know where the Beer's law in relationship to penetrant testing reference is found? It has been a question nagging me for a few years and I thought the answer would be in the McMaster handbook reference. I was fortunate enough to obtain a copy of this book and found no reference to Beer's law whatsoever.

:

Michael Trinidad
Consultant,

Michael Trinidad

Consultant,
LMATS Pty Ltd ,
Australia,
Joined Jan 2003
05:20 Oct-04-2000

Product Spotlight

TVC awarded UKAS accreditation

TVC are delighted to finally announce we have been awarded UKAS accreditation for our calibration
laboratory. Laboratory accreditation to ISO/IEC 17025:2005 enables us to conduct the Electrical Verification of Ultrasonic Flaw Detection Equipment to BS EN 12668-1:2010. It has taken many months of hard work and we want to thank our staff for all their efforts during this massive undertaking.
>

Alpha Pro Digital Radiography System

The Alpha Pro digital X-ray system is the ideal system for your NDT \r\nneeds, as it offers amazin
g 16 bit images which enable the highest \r\nlevel of detection and identification of hairline cracks. While weighing only 3kg (6.6lbs), this panel has the largest imaging area: 35 X 43 cm (14X17 in).
>

Magnetic X-Ray Pipeline Crawler

Zhong Yi brand pipeline crawler is magnetic/micro-video controlled crawler with DC X ray unit inst
alled for checking welding of pipeline. Move steadily inside the pipeline 6''-60''diameter with speed of up to 18m/min, Max. moving diatance 5 kilometers and provide the efficient inspection of the pipeline.
>

Panther

The Panther product range combines speed and performance of phased- array ultrasound technology in
a compact format. Targeted towards integrators for inline inspections and laboratories for R&D, Panter products offer a flexible and scalable solution for generic and custom NDT.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window