where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
Beer's Law
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

02:38 Sep-29-2000

Michael Trinidad

Consultant, API 510 570 & 653
Marine Inspection Service Pty Ltd (MIS),
Australia,
Joined Jan 2003
Beer's Law

Does anyone know where the Beer's law in relationship to penetrant testing reference is found? It has been a question nagging me for a few years and I thought the answer would be in the McMaster handbook reference. I was fortunate enough to obtain a copy of this book and found no reference to Beer's law whatsoever.

Searching on the internet resulted in beer drinking locations around the world but finally I found Beer-Lambert law. This however doesn't answer my question as every web page has a different formula and doesn't have anything to do with liquid penetrant.

My guess beers law as it relates to the transmission of light through a liquid/medium has something to do with the hydraphillic refractometer test.

I passed this exam some time ago but I am still very curious at what this law has to do with PT at all.

Kindest Regards

Michael Trinidad

05:50 Sep-29-2000

Bryan Pilati

R & D
US Army AATD,
USA,
Joined Feb 2002
Re: Beer's Law I believe the light transmission test has something to do with whether the bottle is green or brown. If it's clear it gets a low score. Now the age of the liquid is also a factor in the score. How that helps. Have a nice weekend. :)

: Does anyone know where the Beer's law in relationship to penetrant testing reference is found? It has been a question nagging me for a few years and I thought the answer would be in the McMaster handbook reference. I was fortunate enough to obtain a copy of this book and found no reference to Beer's law whatsoever.

: Searching on the internet resulted in beer drinking locations around the world but finally I found Beer-Lambert law. This however doesn't answer my question as every web page has a different formula and doesn't have anything to do with liquid penetrant.

: My guess beers law as it relates to the transmission of light through a liquid/medium has something to do with the hydraphillic refractometer test.

: I passed this exam some time ago but I am still very curious at what this law has to do with PT at all.

: Kindest Regards

:
: Michael Trinidad

06:19 Sep-29-2000
Curt Powell
Re: Beer's Law :Michael, I find a reference to Beer's Law in "NonDestructive Testing", a Louis Cartz book published by ASM International but it is in the radiographic section. In its text, it refers to Beer's Law, also known as Lambert's Law, and gives yet another reference book "R Jenkins and J L DeVries Practical Xray Spectrometry published by Phillips Technical Library 1967". In general, it adresses absorbtion and scattering of xrays in matter. Good luck!
Does anyone know where the Beer's law in relationship to penetrant testing reference is found? It has been a question nagging me for a few years and I thought the answer would be in the McMaster handbook reference. I was fortunate enough to obtain a copy of this book and found no reference to Beer's law whatsoever.

: Searching on the internet resulted in beer drinking locations around the world but finally I found Beer-Lambert law. This however doesn't answer my question as every web page has a different formula and doesn't have anything to do with liquid penetrant.

: My guess beers law as it relates to the transmission of light through a liquid/medium has something to do with the hydraphillic refractometer test.

: I passed this exam some time ago but I am still very curious at what this law has to do with PT at all.

:

02:56 Sep-30-2000

Michael Trinidad

Australia,
Joined Jan 2003
Re: Beer's Law It seems everyone so far is having the same trouble I am having linking "Beer's Law" with PT. I find plenty of the same references to radiographic methods and microscopic examination of biological matter but nothing related to PT.

I emailed a few people at the certification group who often has questions about this law to see if they can shed some insight on what it has to do with PT.

Kindest Regards

Michael Trinidad

05:17 Oct-04-2000

Dent McIntyre

Consultant, NDE Manager NDELevel III/3
NDT Consultant,
Canada,
Joined Nov 1998
Re: Beer's Law I have found reference to Beer's Law regarding Liquid Penetrants.

NDT Handbook second Edition Volume 2 Liquid Penetrant Tests page 316.

From my understanding it deals with dilution and expansion of a penetrant entrapment into an overlay layer of liquid developer.
"If Beer's law were to hold strictly true then no change in color or fluorescence response would result"

Hope this helps with your nagging question.

Dent McIntyre

: Does anyone know where the Beer's law in relationship to penetrant testing reference is found? It has been a question nagging me for a few years and I thought the answer would be in the McMaster handbook reference. I was fortunate enough to obtain a copy of this book and found no reference to Beer's law whatsoever.

:

05:20 Oct-04-2000

Michael Trinidad

Australia,
Joined Jan 2003
Re: Beer's Law

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|