where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions
Career Discussions >
Phased Array maximum thick.
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

07:56 Nov-27-2006

Paolo

NDT Inspector,
Acciaierie Valbruna,
Italy,
Joined Nov 2006
Phased Array maximum thick.

We inspect forged steel bars up to 10 inches diameter using traditional manual equipments . Somebody could indicate me the maximum thickness that we can check using Phased Array System with the probes present on the market?

02:55 Nov-30-2006

Ed Ginzel

R & D, -
Materials Research Institute,
Canada,
Joined Nov 1998
Re: Phased Array maximum thick. Paolo:
If you are now inspecting diameters of 250mm (10 inches) I assume you are using standard manual UT probes typically 25mm. Phased array systems can obviously do the same.

But asking what the maximum thickness possible to test is a bit like asking what is the smallest flaw you can detect. We need more information. Material tested (is the steel forging fine grained or coarse?), test conditions (hot, cold, machined or rough surface?), the applicable Code, are you just looking for a backwall signal or do you have a flat bottom hole target to detect with a specified signal to noise ratio.

With a standard linear array you have the potential to increase the aperture size which is equivalent to increasing the element size of a single crystal probe. Off the shelf you can get a 60 element probe with a 1mm pitch. But to increase the aperture to the full 60mm available with that probe you would need a 64/128 phased array system (32/64 or 32/128 are more common).

Regards
Ed

----------- Start Original Message -----------
: We inspect forged steel bars up to 10 inches diameter using traditional manual equipments . Somebody could indicate me the maximum thickness that we can check using Phased Array System with the probes present on the market?
------------ End Original Message ------------

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|