where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
mpi
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

Controle Mesure Systemes
Contrôle Mesure Systèmes designs, develops and manufactures nearly 30 years a complete NDT range of products in eddy current and ultrasonic testing methods.

00:52 Oct-04-2000
kevin smith
mpi

I am required to produce circumferential magnetism in a unwound generator rotor using clamped direct current (hwr d/c).The maximum amperage required is 3000 amps to produce the required magnetism.The rotor to be tested is 25ft long and 24 inches in Dia at its largest section.
Has anybody used this or a similar method and was the test successful.

05:41 Oct-04-2000

Michael Trinidad

Consultant, API 510 570 & 653
Marine Inspection Service Pty Ltd (MIS),
Australia,
Joined Jan 2003
Re: mpi

09:17 Oct-05-2000

Andreas Voge

NDT Inspector, Specially in the oilfield
Tuboscope Vetco(Deutschland)Gmbh,
Germany,
Joined Oct 1999
Re: mpi Hey Kevin ,
I am working in the oilfield and we using Capicitar-Discharged-Units with an
max current up to 10 000 Ampere for inspection of big dia pipe .Depending on
which kind of CD-Unit used ,long pulse,medium pulse or short pulse and the
weight factor you need to magnetize the part several times.To make shure that
the magnitude of magnetiziation is enough ,you can test that with field strengh
meter or use a Burmah Castrol strip.

With regards Andreas Voge
---------------
: I am required to produce circumferential magnetism in a unwound generator rotor using clamped direct current (hwr d/c).The maximum amperage required is 3000 amps to produce the required magnetism.The rotor to be tested is 25ft long and 24 inches in Dia at its largest section.
: Has anybody used this or a similar method and was the test successful.

00:36 Oct-05-2000
K.Smith
Re: mpi : I am required to produce circumferential magnetism in a unwound generator rotor using clamped direct current (hwr d/c).The maximum amperage required is 3000 amps to produce the required magnetism.The rotor to be tested is 25ft long and 24 inches in Dia at its largest section.
: Has anybody used this or a similar method and was the test successful.

The shaft is a GE America contract ,the spec requires 100-125 amps per inch dia.
This assumes around 5amps per mm i suppose which is normal to bench unit calculations.
They have their own tapered block for measuring the field ,similat to our strips.
They do not state whether the amps are rms so i asume 3000 amps rms is eqivalent to x2 hwr D/C =6000
Thanks for your help Kev

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|