where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions
Career Discussions >
NAS 410 Certification
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

ULTRASOUND INSTITUTE
The Ultrasound Institute can develop new advanced ultrasonic measurement, imaging and NDT techniques for non-conventional applications.

06:36 May-14-2007
Mohiuddin
NAS 410 Certification

I have a question on the process of NAS 410 Level III certification. It needs a NAS 410 Level III to certify other NAS 410 Level IIIs, IIs and Is. Who certified the first NAS 410 Level III. There are NAS 410 Level III from Training & Certification companies and they certify other NAS 410 Level III. does not this logic bit confusing??? how can a NAS 410 Level III certified to one written practice could certify NDT personnel per other written practice???? In ASNT Level III there is atleast an independency and his understanding on SNT-TC-1A has been assessed in basic exam. What about NAS 410 Level III....does anyone knwo whther the hired NAS 410 Level III know what is written in NAS 410 standard. I have seen some certificates issued based on NAS 410 standard directly instead of reference to the employers written practice.

01:46 May-15-2007

Roberto Falconio

Engineering, NDT/Metrology SUPERVISOR
El Salvador,
Joined Feb 2000
Re: NAS 410 Certification Hi! I'm not quite sure If I'm going to ask your question properly but probably this would help. Currently NAS 410 is equivalent to EN 4179. I'm not quite familiar with how in the US they handle this but there should be a national board in which you can get your level III certification according to one of those standards. As far As I'm concern for example in France is the COSAC which is an institution where you can get your EN 4170 level III certification, then you can get hired by a companie and probably perform the qualifications of your personnel, keep in mind that in any case is the employer who certify according to its written practice and as far as I'm concern this WP in some instances must comply national regulations. Individuals certified within a national body obioulsy meet NAS 410 or EN 4179 requirements and if your employer wants to comply it also, its written practice must meet those standard requirements
Hope that help
Kinds regards

----------- Start Original Message -----------
:I have a question on the process of NAS 410 Level III certification. It needs a NAS 410 Level III to certify other NAS 410 Level IIIs, IIs and Is. Who certified the first NAS 410 Level III. There are NAS 410 Level III from Training & Certification companies and they certify other NAS 410 Level III. does not this logic bit confusing??? how can a NAS 410 Level III certified to one written practice could certify NDT personnel per other written practice???? In ASNT Level III there is atleast an independency and his understanding on SNT-TC-1A has been assessed in basic exam. What about NAS 410 Level III....does anyone knwo whther the hired NAS 410 Level III know what is written in NAS 410 standard. I have seen some certificates issued based on NAS 410 standard directly instead of reference to the employers written practice.
------------ End Original Message ------------

03:16 Jan-20-2009

B Din

Malaysia,
Joined Jan 2009
Re: NAS 410 Certification In Reply to Roberto Falconio at 01:46 May-15-2007 .

Hi all,
I'm not sure I understand the question correctly.

In my opinion (based on the standard), I don't think a NAS410 Level 3 candidate shall only be certified by a NAS410 Level 3 as I don't find any unique statement about this. In stead, an examination for NAS410 Level 3 shall be administered by a responsible Level 3 (either an employee to the company, outside agency or as assigned by NANDTB) or by the NANDTB (but also a Level 3 in the applicable method) itself. The key element here is : In no case the examination be administered by the Level 3 (NAS410 Level 3 to-be) himself or by a subordinate. Then the Level 3 administering the examination on the other hand, is adequate engough to ensure that the examination is done in compliance to the standard, but not neccessarily to be certified to.
This is just my personal opinion, IF NOT, then we should ask who is the very first ASNT/PCN Level 3 who certified the very second Level 3? Which comes first, Egg or Chicken?

15:35 Jan-20-2009

Amy

NDT Inspector, - -
USA,
Joined Jan 2009
Re: NAS 410 Certification In Reply to Mohiuddin at 06:36 May-14-2007 (Opening).

This is a tricky subject. NAS 410 Rev 3 allows the acceptance of a NANDTB certification for the Level lII cert, unfortunately the US does not have this option. You can be certified by an outside vendor, that is a Level III as reviewable to NAS 410 and approved and desiginated by your company, but the certification must be to the written practice of the company. You may adopt the written practice of the certification authority or outside vendor, as long as it is reviewed and acceptable to NAS 410. Use caution, alot of outside conpanies use SNT-TC-1A and the training hours and number of questions are different. I have the written practice set so that ASNT/ACCP is an acceptable certification. I personally use the ASNT certification, but use caution, Annex A for recertification is different than ASNT's 25 point recertification and both must be met to recertify. NAS 410 Rev. 3 also spells out the requirements for a hands on practical equivalent to a Level II is hardware is to be accepted every 5 years as well as the Annex A or exam recertification. Only the scores of the exams actually taken are to be used for your composite grade as well, so if you recert by points and take the practical, only that score is used.

FYI: The vision requirements in Rev. 3 have changed from Jaeger 1 to Snellen 20/25
There's nothin more fun then Revising all your practices, certs and forms every time a small change is made.

21:45 Jan-23-2009

David Harvey

Engineering
ATI - Wah Chang,
USA,
Joined Nov 2002
Re: NAS 410 Certification In Reply to Amy at 15:35 Jan-20-2009 .

FYI: The vision requirements in Rev. 3 have changed from Jaeger 1 to Snellen 20/25
There's nothin more fun then Revising all your practices, certs and forms every time a small change is made.

Remember, you as Level III can determine equivalency - we still are using J1, since nobody else we deal with has moved to Snellen.

01:57 Nov-10-2009
Gerry Fiorito
Re: NAS 410 Certification In Reply to Mohiuddin at 06:36 May-14-2007 (Opening).

Does NAS 410 recognize CGSB's level 3?

03:36 Nov-10-2009

Michel Couture

NDT Inspector,
consultant,
Canada,
Joined Sep 2006
Re: NAS 410 Certification In Reply to Gerry Fiorito at 01:57 Nov-10-2009 .

Gerry,

NAS 410 requires that you have certified training and experience that is acceptable to the employer. This should be determined by a NAS 410 Level 3 NDT. I think that CGSB would qualify. But, you still have to write the exams related to the method you would like to be certified in. That would include a general paper, a specific paper and a practical exam, plus writting a procedure if you are applying for Level 3 certification.

You can find the answer in paragraph 6 and 7.2 of NAS 410

19:05 Jun-16-2014
Prakash
Re: NAS 410 Certification In Reply to Amy at 15:35 Jan-20-2009 .

So there is no exact society or body to conduct a direct exam to obtain Level II or Level III in NAS 410? Like they have ASNT to conduct a direct exam and certify for Level III or Level II.

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|