where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions
Career Discussions >
New Forum Rules
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

06:36 Nov-02-2007

Rolf Diederichs

Director, Editor, Publisher, Internet, PHP MySQL
NDT.net,
Germany,
Joined Nov 1998
New Forum Rules

Dear Forum Users,

Recently I have noticed an increase in forum posts containing strong criticisms of products or biased personal comparisons of competitors products. More disturbing it was found recently that a post was a clear manipulation.

This has led us to the decision to add a new forum rule:
"Do not post criticisms or personal judgements of commercial products, services or web sites".

Also we added a new rule statement:
"The moderator reserves the right to edit or remove any postings that do not conform to the above rules".

To make sure that everybody is aware of the rules, a pop-up window opens when entering the posting window.

I hope that fair discussion will continue as we have seen for more than 10 years in this forum.

Rolf Diederichs

08:44 Nov-02-2007

Dent

Consultant, NDE Manager NDELevel III/3
NDT Consultant,
Canada,
Joined Nov 1998
Re: New Forum Rules Rolf:

A large number of posts contain references to products. The mention of a product with no opinion on it's worth is not very useful.
To ban websites where readers can learn for themselves is also very restrictive. Your advertisers may not like this.

Can we find some middle ground?

Dent

----------- Start Original Message -----------
: Dear Forum Users,
: Recently I have noticed an increase in forum posts containing strong criticisms of products or biased personal comparisons of competitors products. More disturbing it was found recently that a post was a clear manipulation.
: This has led us to the decision to add a new forum rule:
: "Do not post criticisms or personal judgements of commercial products, services or web sites".
: Also we added a new rule statement:
: "The moderator reserves the right to edit or remove any postings that do not conform to the above rules".
: To make sure that everybody is aware of the rules, a pop-up window opens when entering the posting window.
: I hope that fair discussion will continue as we have seen for more than 10 years in this forum.
: Rolf Diederichs
------------ End Original Message ------------

01:47 Nov-02-2007

Rolf

Director, Editor, Publisher, Internet, PHP MySQL
NDT.net,
Germany,
Joined Nov 1998
Re: New Forum Rules I do not want to forbid any critical assessment, but it is quit complicate to write rules of what is allowed and what not. Finally nobody would read it anymore. Since many years I am browsing all forum messages and forward them to the mailing list or delete from the board. So far I could easily decide what is spam or blatant advertisement. I guess that people tried now to make it more difficult for me, so they begun with manipulations or a set-up of hidden advertisement. A person ask "what to buy or to use" the same person posts the wanted answer, of course not under the same name.

For example I will not allow something like this: "They are far superior than any other .... in the Market today. Look at www ....". Also not allowed is "this company is bad the other one good, we are going to buy more of this company."
All this is often done just for saving the advertisement costs. Paradox is that the NDT.net exhibitors making this forum possible.

I guess that most of the posts will still pass the "censor". I suppose it all depends on the nature of the discussion.

Rolf

----------- Start Original Message -----------
: Rolf:
: A large number of posts contain references to products. The mention of a product with no opinion on it's worth is not very useful.
: To ban websites where readers can learn for themselves is also very restrictive. Your advertisers may not like this.
: Can we find some middle ground?
: Dent
:
: : Dear Forum Users,
: : Recently I have noticed an increase in forum posts containing strong criticisms of products or biased personal comparisons of competitors products. More disturbing it was found recently that a post was a clear manipulation.
: : This has led us to the decision to add a new forum rule:
: : "Do not post criticisms or personal judgements of commercial products, services or web sites".
: : Also we added a new rule statement:
: : "The moderator reserves the right to edit or remove any postings that do not conform to the above rules".
: : To make sure that everybody is aware of the rules, a pop-up window opens when entering the posting window.
: : I hope that fair discussion will continue as we have seen for more than 10 years in this forum.
: : Rolf Diederichs
------------ End Original Message ------------

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|