where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
Automated UT of pipelines
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

01:02 Oct-12-2000

David Davies

Level III , QA Engineer , Ops. Supervisor
Vetco Saudi Arabia Ltd,
Saudi Arabia,
Joined Sep 2000
Automated UT of pipelines

I am evaluating a project for automated UT of cross country pipeline girth welds. Can anyone give me their experiences with the various options available, particularly capabilities, reliability, approval by certification bodies. I have a lot of experience with manual UT but need help with the latest automated equipment.
I am starting from scratch on this project so any pointers or contacts would be appreciated.
Thanks
Dave Davies

01:22 Oct-13-2000

Doug Breeze

Director, Consultant; R&D
Inspection Software Limited,
United Kingdom,
Joined May 2000
Re: Automated UT of pipelines Trying to get on-the-record objective views from
users of automatad equipment must be like asking
a preacher which is the best God.

My comments are no more objective than anyone else's,
but they are based on field experience with several
automated systems (some nuclear, some pipelines,
some in the Saudi desert), but there are several
common principles to look for.

The Equipment
-------------
1. Look at the suppliers reputation and track record.
2. Look for the very best mechanical design...
(ruggedness, mechanical backlash, precision,
exposure/protection, connections, etc.)
3. Look for flexibility and versatilty in the software,
best performance in the electronics, and for a
range of scanners... whatever you plan to examine
now, you'll need to do something different soon
enough.
4. Plan for regular maintenance schedules (sometimes
daily in the desert), and determine how readily the
systems strip apart for cleaning and maintenance.

The Operators
-------------
1. Automated kit needs to be loved, by dedicated, well
qualifed operators. Don't be misled into planning
to use lesser grade personnel.
2. Aim to employ multi-discipline supervisors with
competence in UT, electronics, mechanics,
computers, etc., and with practical skills too.
3. Plan to have the operators fully trained in
operation AND maintenance, by the manufacturer.

Trust this helps.

01:50 Oct-18-2000

John O'Brien

Consultant, -
Chevron ETC ,
USA,
Joined Jan 2000
Re: Automated UT of pipelines Most of the providers are following the zonal approach originally developed out of Canada (Ed Ginzel whose input you will often see on NDTNET) was a leading figure in this.

Some systems add in TOFD as an extra channel for detection but sizing is still mainly Pulse Echo with cross talking probes focussed on different weld zones.

RD tech, AIS/Weldsonix, RTD, Vincotte, SSI SGS Gottfeld all use similar approaches.

The technique is well accepted in many areas now Canada, Gulf Of Mexico, Gaz De France, Petrobras etc. etc.

University Of Ghent in Belgium has been running and assessment project including the application and comparison of Phased Array technology which is seen by some as the next direction.

Acceptance Criteria is the biggest issue people like NOVA have direct specs now but API 11.04 does not and you need to consider the FFS Appendix and an ECA for determining new accepatnce criteria.

If procuring equipment other issues come into play such as reliability.

We have assisted in development projects in this area so if you need direct input please contact me.

08:28 Oct-23-2000
Tim Sun
Re: Automated UT of pipelines

01:13 Nov-03-2000

Michael Moles

Re: Automated UT of pipelines : I am evaluating a project for automated UT of cross country pipeline girth welds. Can anyone give me their experiences with the various options available, particularly capabilities, reliability, approval by certification bodies. I have a lot of experience with manual UT but need help with the latest automated equipment.
: I am starting from scratch on this project so any pointers or contacts would be appreciated.
: Thanks

R/D Tech manufactures a phased array system for inspecting girth welds, called PipeWIZARD. There are several references at conferences (e.g. ASNT) as well as electronic versions (see 15 WCNDT). Phased arrays have major advantages over conventional systems: smaller; lighter; can scan from 4" to 56"with same arrays; load a sset-up electronically; increased number of zones for better sizing etc. Check our web site.
: Dave Davies

09:44 Nov-28-2000
Thomas S Connelly
Re: Automated UT of pipelines : I am evaluating a project for automated UT of cross country pipeline girth welds. Can anyone give me their experiences with the various options available, particularly capabilities, reliability, approval by certification bodies. I have a lot of experience with manual UT but need help with the latest automated equipment.
: I am starting from scratch on this project so any pointers or contacts would be appreciated.
: Thanks
: Dave Davies

One should be very careful when selecting the Company, in areas like experience, equipment, prosed sizing method, spares etc.

It would also be invaluable to send your proposed specifications to the companies and determine how they will meet the specification. A validation of the companies using defective welds would also help.

Determine the flaw sizing methods to be used i.e. Zonal, amplitude, combination and any other.

beware of how companies or individuals attempt to apply the appendix of API 1104. Monitor carefully how the company intend to apply workmanship standards.

Certain consultants or field experts may wish to overcomplicate AUT it does not have to be over elaborate but MUST be adequate for the required inspection project.

My employers offer a full consulting and quality service for mechanized UT including field and online (remote) audit, validations, qualification etc

Regards

T. S. Connelly

06:10 Nov-29-2000

Steve Jones

Re: Automated UT of pipelines

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|