where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
Ultrasonic Distance Measuring System
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

Materials Research Institute
Consulting to the NDT industry.

04:35 Oct-13-2000
Artan Devexhiu
Ultrasonic Distance Measuring System

Dear all

My name is Artan and I am a final year student.
I need to costruct a circuit to transmit and receive
an ultrasonic pulse in order to measure distance.
This circuit will need to be interfaced to the PC
later on. Therefore if anyone has any ideas on how
this could be done(especially the circuit construction)
then please let me know ASAP.

Thank you.

05:48 Oct-13-2000
Dipl.-Ing. Martin Heinz.
Re: Ultrasonic Distance Measuring System As I just wrote at June, 28, 1999 one possibility would be the use of a TDC-circuit (time-to-digital converter). Such a circuit is e.g. available from acam (acam-messelectronic GmbH, Haid und Neu-Str. 7, D-76131 Karlsruhe, Germany, Phone 0049 721 / 9663706, FAX 0049 721 / 9663708, order-code TDC-GP1). This circuit converts the time difference of two trigger pulses into a digital value, what can be used to calculate the time off flight of the ultrasound pulse and convert them to the distance value. A pulse generator for sending an ultrasonic pulse gives the first trigger pulse. A comparator circuit which compares the received ultrasound pulse with a trigger level gives the second trigger pulse for the TDC.
There are also experimental circuits available from POLAROID, which works with the electrostatic POLAROID ultrasonic transducer (see on internet page http://www.polaroid-oem.com/american/new/6500series.htm and http://www.polaroid-oem.com/american/new/ultrasonicrange.htm .
If you want to measure at near distances you need a very broadband ultrasonic transducer with low ringing (low "block-distance, meaning the death zone, where no measurement is possible as the transducer is continuing ringing after sending pulse). The company SUM / Germany provides such transducers.

06:01 Oct-17-2000
Kris Smestad
Re: Ultrasonic Distance Measuring System Hello Artan...

The way to interface an Ultrasonic signal from a digital oscilliscope to a CPU is with a mapping processor. If you are using an analog oscilliscope you need a digital pre-processor to convert the signal before mapping. Both components are pretty expensive.

: Dear all

: My name is Artan and I am a final year student.
: I need to costruct a circuit to transmit and receive
: an ultrasonic pulse in order to measure distance.
: This circuit will need to be interfaced to the PC
: later on. Therefore if anyone has any ideas on how
: this could be done(especially the circuit construction)
: then please let me know ASAP.
:
: Thank you.

06:18 Oct-17-2000
Dipl.-Ing. Martin Heinz
Re: Ultrasonic Distance Measuring System : Hello Artan...

: The way to interface an Ultrasonic signal from a digital oscilliscope to a CPU is with a mapping processor. If you are using an analog oscilliscope you need a digital pre-processor to convert the signal before mapping. Both components are pretty expensive.

Hello Artan,

a very simple other possibility is to use the LabVIEW® -software (National Instruments). National Instruments offers a large range of A/D data acquisition cards for PC, and the LabVIEW® -software is a graphical programming language, with which you can easily setup each measurement instrument you can imagine.

06:42 Oct-17-2000

Trevor Easton

Engineering
Dofasco Inc,
Canada,
Joined Nov 1998
Re: Ultrasonic Distance Measuring System

What you require is a simple pulse timer. Initiated by the sent pulse and terminated by the echo.

Polaroid make a chip that does this but I think what you are looking for is the basic circuit to 'Do it yourself"

See http://164.195.100.11/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO2&Sect2=HITOFF&u=/netahtml/search-adv.htm&r=1&f=G&l=50&d=PALL&p=1&S1=4679175.WKU.&OS=PN/4679175&RS=PN/4679175
for some more infomation

09:49 Oct-17-2000

Marcos Eduardo (Brazil)

R & D, Thickness meters design
Tecnomedicao Sistemas de medicao Ltda,
Brazil,
Joined Mar 2000
Re: Ultrasonic Distance Measuring System The magazine ELEKTOR ELECTRONICS made this project and sold a kit... Check in the website www.elektorelectronics.co.uk

02:28 Oct-19-2000

Philippe Rubbers

Engineering
SCM,
South Africa,
Joined Nov 1998
Re: Ultrasonic Distance Measuring System Hi There

If you are looking for low cost high performance A/D's try gage-applied.com
They have PC based A/D cards with plenty of drivers (for Labview etc) at very reasonable prices.
If you are mapping UT data, a simple option would
be an arm with 2 joints (with pots) plugged into your games port. Using trig, you can determine the position
of the end of the arm, and use this as x,y data for
the UT signal, from which C/B scans can be generated.

No point in using fancy lasers/acoustics to determine
where your probe is. My collegue put an arm together
in 2 hours from scratch to working product, with a
resolution and repeatability of 0.8mm.

: Hello Artan...

: : The way to interface an Ultrasonic signal from a digital oscilliscope to a CPU is with a mapping processor. If you are using an analog oscilliscope you need a digital pre-processor to convert the signal before mapping. Both components are pretty expensive.

:
: Hello Artan,

: a very simple other possibility isto use the LabVIEW® -software (National Instruments). National Instruments offers a large range of A/D data acquisition cards for PC, and the LabVIEW® -software is a graphical programming language, with which you can easily setup each measurement instrument you can imagine.

07:33 Dec-12-2000
AASHWIN
Re: Ultrasonic Distance Measuring System : The magazine ELEKTOR ELECTRONICS made this project and sold a kit... Check in the website www.elektorelectronics.co.uk

07:23 Apr-27-2001
anil
Re: Ultrasonic Distance Measuring System : Dear all

: My name is Artan and I am a final year student.
: This circuit will need to be interfaced to the PC
: later on. Therefore if anyone has any ideas on how
: this could be done(especially the circuit construction)
: then please let me know ASAP. dfsdf
:
: Thank you.

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|