where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
Reference blocks for Hydrogen Induced cracking
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

Airstar Inc.
Application of the newest technologies, such as air-coupled ultrasound, digital instrumentation, signal processing, and transducer technology.

03:10 Oct-14-2000

S S Ananthan

Consultant,
RAA Tech Solutions,
India,
Joined Jun 2000
Reference blocks for Hydrogen Induced cracking

Hello,

1. Can someone suggest a method of getting a 200 mm thick carbon steel sample with hydrogen Induced crack ? I wish to use it for studies on Ultrasonic charecterisation. If some one in India can spare me a sample, I will return the same after my study.
2. Can I use a sample with IGSCC for the above purpose ? Are these two damages similar ultrasonically ? Can some one thrw some light ?

S S Ananthan

01:41 Oct-18-2000

John O'Brien

Consultant, -
Chevron ETC ,
USA,
Joined Jan 2000
Re: Reference blocks for Hydrogen Induced cracking If no one supplies you with a suitable sample NACE have procedures for exposure to atmospheres to induce cracking. Also CAPCIS in the UK have a Pipe Full Ring Test that can induce HIC in steels.

Labs such as CAPCIS at Manchester and CLI in Houston may well be able to help you.

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|