where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions
Career Discussions >
pcn welding inspection opposed to cswip welding inspection
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

09:08 Feb-21-2008
gary
pcn welding inspection opposed to cswip welding inspection

Hello People
Can anyone tell me the difference between pcn and cswip welding inspection qualifications and why.
Thanks very much.

09:55 Feb-22-2008

george robertson

NDT Inspector, - /welding inspector
United Kingdom,
Joined Sep 2007
Re: pcn welding inspection opposed to cswip welding inspection Simple

I am a pcn level 2 Welding inspector.

ive only had a few jobs with it

because cwsip is the profered approval

i dont know why

because the syllibus in the course and exam are almost identical

04:01 Feb-22-2008
Royden Peter Desouza
Re: pcn welding inspection opposed to cswip welding inspection ----------- Start Original Message -----------
: Simple
: I am a pcn level 2 Welding inspector.
: ive only had a few jobs with it
: because cwsip is the profered approval
: i dont know why
: because the syllibus in the course and exam are almost identical
------------ End Original Message ------------

Its just the marketibility of the qualification,and the welding Institute to runs it is world recognised for innovation though PCN UT ticket has a higher market value.

06:39 Feb-23-2008
gary whitworth
Re: pcn welding inspection opposed to cswip welding inspection ----------- Start Original Message -----------
: Hello People
: Can anyone tell me the difference between pcn and cswip welding inspection qualifications and why.
: Thanks very much.
------------ End Origis
nal Message ------------

so what we are saying is that, qualification is very similar but customerer prefers tried and tested cswip!!

06:47 Feb-23-2008
gary
: : Simple
: : I am a pcn level 2 Welding inspector.
: : ive only had a few jobs with it
: : because cwsip is the profered approval
: : i dont know why
: : because the syllibus in the course and exam are almost identical
: Its just the marketibility of the qualification,and the welding Institute to runs it is world recognised for innovation though PCN UT ticket has agher market value.
------------ End Original Message ------------

my point exactly, i am pcn qualified in mt,pt,rt welds ut.3.1 3.2 3.8 3.9 and welding inspection with experience in all disciplines.

19:11 Jun-24-2011

George Robertson

United Kingdom,
Joined Sep 2007
Re: pcn welding inspection opposed to cswip welding inspection In Reply to gary whitworth at 06:39 Feb-23-2008 .

I think now that time has passed
the PCN level 2 Welding inspector ticket has made its mark on the industry
job posts this year and half of last year have included
cswip/pcn welding inspector needed.......
i mean at the start it was based on EN473 just the same as cswip
i have no problem now in getting jobs holding a PCN ticket
its not that cswip is more renowned its just built a reputation
but i think that PCN is now on even par
I am thinking of goin for level 3
PCN Welding inspector is getting more aclaim as each passing day gose by

11:24 Jul-02-2011
gary whitworth
Re: pcn welding inspection opposed to cswip welding inspection In Reply to George Robertson at 19:11 Jun-24-2011 .

Hi George,
I still think PCN is frowned upon simply because CSWIP is alway at the forefront of everyones mind when it comes to this subject.

I called CSWIP about buying the CSWIP quals for NDT and i met the criteria easily to purchase the certs for MT PT UT and RT, when i asked about the welding inspection it was rather more difficult.
I quote the CSWIP employee " we do not recognise PCN welding inspection" i am unsure how this can be applied when it is a european norm and they instantly recognise all the PCN ndt quals when it comes to the small matter of money.
Slightly off the subject i know but still an interesting point for debate.

17:37 Jul-03-2011

George Robertson

United Kingdom,
Joined Sep 2007
Re: pcn welding inspection opposed to cswip welding inspection In Reply to gary whitworth at 11:24 Jul-02-2011 .

Gary

Yes i agree it is at the forefront of the pecking order without a doubt
I my self was going to do cswip welding inspector also but i was lucky enough for a company to pay for mine
so i took it
its the only cert that i was lucky enough not to pay for

I live in the highlands of Scotland
approx. 30 miles north of Inverness
and within a 5 mile radius we have
Technip spool base
Global/ Isleburn
Serimax
and RBG
all of whom accept PCN level 2 Welding inspector
but i do agree that If you are not Known they would chose cswip over PCN

cheers.....
George

20:31 Sep-23-2014

Scott

NDT Inspector,
United Kingdom,
Joined Aug 2014
Re: pcn welding inspection opposed to cswip welding inspection In Reply to George Robertson at 17:37 Jul-03-2011 .

Where can I do the pcn level 2 weld inspector course

09:58 Sep-24-2014

Steve Doc

Other, Quality Manager
Siemens Energy,
Egypt,
Joined Feb 2011
Re: pcn welding inspection opposed to cswip welding inspection In Reply to Scott at 20:31 Sep-23-2014 .

As someone who regularly recruits Welding Inspectors, although PCN is the new boy, I accept PCN as equivalent to CSWIP.
CSWIP (or as they are more commonly known TWI) keep changing their rules, for reasons known only to them , that PCN would be the preferable certification for me, if I were to start again. I am too deeply entrenched into CSWIP now though. I am still raging at the 90 quid CV review to tell me I am suitable to apply for a 10 year resit exam.

10:19 Sep-24-2014
gary
Re: pcn welding inspection opposed to cswip welding inspection In Reply to Steve Doc at 09:58 Sep-24-2014 .

Don't suppose you're looking for anyone at the moment are you Steve ?

15:30 Sep-30-2016

Gary McDonald

United Kingdom,
Joined Sep 2016
Re: pcn welding inspection opposed to cswip welding inspection In Reply to Steve Doc at 09:58 Sep-24-2014 .

If i were a QC manager looking to recruit qualified welding inspectors i would choose PCN over CSWIP everytime, just because PCN welding inspectors are usually coming from a strong NDT background with PCN and because the TWI (CSWIP) course has decended into a farce with plastic samples, a macro that isn't a macro but a piece of paper, and a multi choice based exam syllabus that does not entertain narrative based questions or written weld plans in practicals, just putting an x in a box, multi choice and practicals are a rubbish way to train a welding inspectors mind as your just looking for the right answer from a few as apposed to actually having no help and plotting practical weld defect samples out manually, CSWIP has gone down the pan in the last few years, the classrooms are always packed with people, the price is always about £500 more than a PCN course and exam, for me they are just profiteering despite being a so called registered charity, they even charge you close to £100 for a paper log book and rubber stamp that must cost them about £1 to manufacturer

10:32 Oct-08-2016

Steven Doc

Other, Quality Manager
Siemens Energy,
Egypt,
Joined Feb 2011
Re: pcn welding inspection opposed to cswip welding inspection In Reply to gary at 10:19 Sep-24-2014 .

Sorry Gary, I am currently able to fill vacant positions from the local market.

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|