where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions
Career Discussions >
International Testing Facilities
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

07:40 Apr-14-2008
Ed T.
International Testing Facilities

Does anyone know if AWS or CSWIP permit international test facilities to give the welding inspector tests in languages other than English or do they permit the use of translators?
I have found welding inspectors with certifications that cannot speak a word of English and cannot produce the correct WPS for a specific job.
Nothing agains people who donot speak English. I just cant figure out how they can work on a project when all of the documents are in English.
We are running into serious quality issues as a result. Anyone else experiencing this?

05:52 May-17-2008
William Kwok
Re: International Testing Facilities Why don't you ask AWS or CSWIP.

----------- Start Original Message -----------
: Does anyone know if AWS or CSWIP permit international test facilities to give the welding inspector tests in languages other than English or do they permit the use of translators?
: I have found welding inspectors with certifications that cannot speak a word of English and cannot produce the correct WPS for a specific job.
: Nothing agains people who donot speak English. I just cant figure out how they can work on a project when all of the documents are in English.
: We are running into serious quality issues as a result. Anyone else experiencing this?
------------ End Original Message ------------

01:47 May-24-2008

S.V.Swamy

Engineering, - Material Testing Inspection & Quality Control
Retired from Nuclear Fuel Complex ,
India,
Joined Feb 2001
Re: International Testing Facilities Dear Ed,

Unless the certificate shows the language of the test being different than English, the candidate is supposed to have taken the test in English and thus needs to demonstrate the proficiency in English. Quality issues arise because of lack of real knowledge and practical experience.

We do come across people in India who are otherwise good but have language problems. We help them by interacting with them in their language but insist on documentation in English. In such cases, their supervisors need to help out.

More care in recruitment process will probably the right step to prevent such problems.

Best wishes,

Swamy

----------- Start Original Message -----------
: Does anyone know if AWS or CSWIP permit international test facilities to give the welding inspector tests in languages other than English or do they permit the use of translators?
: I have found welding inspectors with certifications that cannot speak a word of English and cannot produce the correct WPS for a specific job.
: Nothing agains people who donot speak English. I just cant figure out how they can work on a project when all of the documents are in English.
: We are running into serious quality issues as a result. Anyone else experiencing this?
------------ End Original Message ------------

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|