where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions
Career Discussions >
aws and api standard for ut acceptance criterion
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

04:31 May-23-2008

NELSON

Engineering, QAQC MECHANICAL ENGINEER
HYUNDAI ENGINEERING & CONSTRUCTION CO.LTD,
Philippines,
Joined Feb 2008
aws and api standard for ut acceptance criterion

could you please tell me the difference of AWS and API STANDARD for ultrasonic testing acceptance criteria for flaws on weld?i.e.,porosity,slags,etc.

01:59 May-23-2008
Luis Santoyo
Re: aws and api standard for ut acceptance criterion The main difference is that AWS apply to structural welds and API like API 1104 to welds in pipes of Oil Industry, also, with API you probably need to use DAC to evaluate discontinuities, with AWS D1.1, you make some calculations regarding to the amplitude of the discontinuity against a known amplitude (Some new equipments already have it) and you are able to say if the indication is accepted or rejected. With AWS you may only use wedges of 45 -60 and 70 degrees.
Hope this can help you
----------- Start Original Message -----------
: could you please tell me the difference of AWS and API STANDARD for ultrasonic testing acceptance criteria for flaws on weld?i.e.,porosity,slags,etc.
------------ End Original Message ------------

04:46 May-24-2008

Gowri Santhosh

NDT Inspector,
Royscan engineering pte ltd,
Singapore,
Joined May 2008
Re: aws and api standard for ut acceptance criterion ----------- Start Original Message -----------
: The main difference is that AWS apply to structural welds and API like API 1104 to welds in pipes of Oil Industry, also, with API you probably need to use DAC to evaluate discontinuities, with AWS D1.1, you make some calculations regarding to the amplitude of the discontinuity against a known amplitude (Some new equipments already have it) and you are able to say if the indication is accepted or rejected. With AWS you may only use wedges of 45 -60 and 70 degrees.
: Hope this can help you
: : could you please tell me the difference of AWS and API STANDARD for ultrasonic testing acceptance criteria for flaws on weld?i.e.,porosity,slags,etc.

Hi,
This is Gowri from india. Go to matter.
First of all API acceptance criteria is very simple and not confident. If any echo amplitude exceeding 100% of DAC, you have to give x-ray prove up for Additonal verification. Here the radiography is the final testing to the discontinuity Evaluation. You cant reject or repair the weld with UT.
In AWS, acceptance criteria is effective and critical(in early days). Here we have to consider lot of things such as reference dB, flaw indication dB, attenuation factor and indication rating. A table (6.2 & 6.3) is provided in AWS D1.1 for acceptance criteria. You can get lot of information there. Now all UFD are having AWS mode for easy evaluation.

06:51 May-24-2008

Gowri santhosh

NDT Inspector,
Royscan engineering pte ltd,
Singapore,
Joined May 2008
Re: aws and api standard for ut acceptance criterion Hi,
The two main differences are there. In API, reference standards or blocks are used for calibration as well as in AWS standard blocks (IIW V1) are used. And there is no necessity to make DAC in AWS A.C,. DAC is used for evaluation in API a.c,. (a.c- acceptance criteria)

00:41 May-24-2008

SHAI

Consultant, octg inspector
services,
United Arab Emirates (UAE),
Joined May 2007
Re: aws and api standard for ut acceptance criterion ----------- Start Original Message -----------
: could you please tell me the difference of AWS and API STANDARD for ultrasonic testing acceptance criteria for flaws on weld?i.e.,porosity,slags,etc.

Dear nelson

AWS is for stractural component. like building offshore, and API is for drilling tools and pipeline.

On Fri, May 23, 2008 at 5:06 PM, wrote:

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|