where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions
Career Discussions >
PCN/ASNT???
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

VOGT Ultrasonics GmbH
non-destructive testing, services, training, ultrasonic systems, immersion and squirter inspection systems, PROline, digital radiology

03:52 Jun-14-2008
Judy
PCN/ASNT???

Can someone please give me advise on which certification is best when woking in West Africa.
Would it be PCN or ASNT?
I am currently certified according to ASNT,but I tend to see alot of Companies request PCN...

Thank-You

03:49 Jun-14-2008

Ed Ginzel

R & D, -
Materials Research Institute,
Canada,
Joined Nov 1998
Re: PCN/ASNT??? Judy:
Unless you hold a Level 3 ASNT your ASNT "certification" is only good for the company you are working for. If you move on to another company they, the new company, will be obliged to re-certify you via their standard practice for personnel certification. This will inevitably mean more exams.
PCN or CSWIP (or ISO 9712) are third party certification programmes that allow you to move from one company to another and the certification remains valid.

----------- Start Original Message -----------
: Can someone please give me advise on which certification is best when woking in West Africa.
: Would it be PCN or ASNT?
: I am currently certified according to ASNT,but I tend to see alot of Companies request PCN...
: Thank-You
------------ End Original Message ------------

01:23 Jun-15-2008

Judy

NDT Inspector, Oil and gas Industry
Angola,
Joined Jun 2008
Re: PCN/ASNT??? :Ed
:I am A contractor and thus I do not Have Employer certification/Authourization. Could you advise me which way would know be the best to go about it.
As I said, Im new in the industry,very young and on top of that I'm a woman too.I guess this all adds up to the reason why I'm struggeling to find Contracts.

Know I am trying to get the best qualification in order to stand a better chance.
: Judy:
: Unless you hold a Level 3 ASNT your ASNT "certification" is only good for the company you are working for. If you move on to another company they, the new company, will be obliged to re-certify you via their standard practice for personnel certification. This will inevitably mean more exams.
: PCN or CSWIP (or ISO 9712) are third party certification programmes that allow you to move from one company to another and the certification remains valid.
:
: : Can someone please give me advise on which certification is best when woking in West Africa.
: : Would it be PCN or ASNT?
: : Iam currently certified according to ASNT,but I tend to see alot of Companies request PCN...
: : Thank-You

00:13 Jun-15-2008

Jack

Engineering,
Kleinfeld Technical Services, Inc.,
USA,
Joined Feb 2004
Re: PCN/ASNT??? ----------- Start Original Message -----------
: :I am A contractor and thus I do not Have Employer certification/Authourization. Could you advise me which way would know be the best to go about it.
: As I said, Im new in the industry,very young and on top of that I'm a woman too.I guess this all adds up to the reason why I'm struggeling to find Contracts.
: Know I am trying to get the best qualification in order to stand a better chance.
: : Judy:
:------------ End Original Message ------------

Judy -
As I understand the ASNT certification procedures for Levels 1 and 2, you, as a contractor and therefore self-employed, would have to certify yourself. You may need to have a company formed, although it could be as simple as a sole proprietorship. Your clients would hire you through the company, normally. That may not be necessary, however, in terms of the certification. It may be adequate for your company to have a written procedure for certification, an example of which I think is contained in TC-1A. You would then comply with your own procedure and self-certify. You could also get a Level 3 to certify you on behalf of your company -- the person giving you your training and exams would be an obvious choice.
Don't take this as gospel, but I do think it's correct.
Jack

00:38 Jun-16-2008

Michel Couture

NDT Inspector,
consultant,
Canada,
Joined Sep 2006
Re: PCN/ASNT??? Jack,

I think you are on the right track. The company I work for has a client who needs contractors to stay abrest in the inspection. That client requires ASNT TC-1A certification. So as contractors, after the 3 months period, we are able to write and do the practical required for the TC-1A certification. If Judy can find herself a client who would for exemple say you will be one of our NDT contractor, than that client could administer all that is needed for her certification. But, like I said in my previous post, if you only have the TC-1A, you leave yourself vulnerable to work shortage. You loose the contract, you're out of a job. For this reason, I strongly encourage everybody to get their national certification or the ASNT ACCP. For this you just go on to the ASNT site and there, you will find the info that you need. They do have exam session around the world at different time of the year.

Cheerios,

Michel

----------- Start Original Message -----------
: : :I am A contractor and thus I do not Have Employer certification/Authourization. Could you advise me which way would know be the best to go about it.
: : As I said, Im new in the industry,very young and on top of that I'm a woman too.I guess this all adds up to the reason why I'm struggeling to find Contracts.
: : Know I am trying to get the best qualification in order to stand a better chance.
: : : Judy:
: :------------ End Original Message ------------
: Judy -
: As I understand the ASNT certification procedures for Levels 1 and 2, you, as a contractor and therefore self-employed, would have to certify yourself. You may need to have a company formed, although it could be as simple as a sole proprietorship. Your clients would hire you through the company, normally. That may not be necessary, however, in terms of the certification. It may be adequate for your company to have a written procedure for certification, an example of which I think is contained in TC-1A. You would then comply with your own procedure and self-certify. You could also get a Level 3 to certify you on behalf of your company -- the person giving you your training and exams would be an obvious choice.
: Don't take this as gospel, but I do think it's correct.
: Jack

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|