where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions
Career Discussions >
career in ndt
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

03:22 Jun-24-2008

jacca

NDT Inspector
Algeria,
Joined Jun 2008
career in ndt

hi
I'm thinking of starting a new career in NDT. Thinking of doing course in megnetic and ultrasonics and rope access. These will be level 1 of course and i need to know what are my chances of getting a job after completing these and likely income?

If i persue this career i will try for level 2. Again are there many jobs all seem to be for couple of week here and there.

Any advice appreciated.

08:04 Jun-25-2008

Michel Couture

NDT Inspector,
consultant,
Canada,
Joined Sep 2006
Re: career in ndt Well James,

I don't know how things are in Algeria, but I'll try to give you a little insight. For one thing, NDT in a large part is a trade that service various industries. We basically work when they need us, which is during their down time. In Ontario, Canada, the Nuclear facilities uses lots of technicians from various service companies. Of course, most of the inspections will be done in the spring and in the fall, because the demand for electricity is at its lowest (no heating or air conditioning). As a result, techicians work on an average 60 hours a week. The same thing goes on for the shut downs in the Pulp and paper industry. Yet outside of those periods, the work may be slow. For other parts of Canada, conditions are different. In the Western provinces, they are involved in the oil industry. I've been told that technicians over there are working about 12 - 14 hours a day, 7 days a week. In the winter, time may be slow for them.

The best advice I can give you is to be flexible with your work schedule, because it often change in a heart beat and be willing to travel. Also, learn to live on a 40 hours pay cheque even though you're working 60. Save the rest for a rainy day.

Good Luck to you,

Michel
----------- Start Original Message -----------
: hi
: I'm thinking of starting a new career in NDT. Thinking of doing course in megnetic and ultrasonics and rope access. These will be level 1 of course and i need to know what are my chances of getting a job after completing these and likely income?
: If i persue this career i will try for level 2. Again are there many jobs all seem to be for couple of week here and there.
: Any advice appreciated.
------------ End Original Message ------------

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|