where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions
Career Discussions >
PCN?
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

07:33 Jun-25-2008

Michel Couture

NDT Inspector,
consultant,
Canada,
Joined Sep 2006
PCN?

I visited the BINDT site and still don't know what PCN stands for. Can someone tells me?

01:53 Jun-25-2008

Joe Buckley

Consultant, ASNT L-III, Honorary Secretary of BINDT
Level X NDT, BINDT,
United Kingdom,
Joined Oct 1999
Re: PCN? ----------- Start Original Message -----------
: I visited the BINDT site and still don't know what PCN stands for. Can someone tells me?
------------ End Original Message ------------

I will check with the official man tomorrow, But it is variously stated as Personal or Personnel Certification for Non-destructive Testing

a Bit like what does DVD stand for - depends who you ask...

Joe

03:04 Jun-25-2008

Rolf Diederichs

Director, Editor, Publisher, Internet, PHP MySQL
NDT.net,
Germany,
Joined Nov 1998
Re: PCN? PCN stands for "Personnel Certification in Non-Destructive Testing". I added the term with explanation to the NDT Encyclopedia here: www.ndt.net/ndtaz/ndtaz.php?id=700

I would like to remember that everybody of the forum members have access to the Encyclopedia to enter new terms or write comments for existing terms.

Rolf

----------- Start Original Message -----------
: I visited the BINDT site and still don't know what PCN stands for. Can someone tells me?

01:18 Jun-25-2008

Michel Couture

NDT Inspector,
consultant,
Canada,
Joined Sep 2006
Re: PCN? Hi Rolf,

This answer my question, but also bring out more. You state in the Encyclopedia and read the same on the BINDT site: "The PCN scheme, an internationally recognised scheme for the certification competence of NDT personnel, is accredited as meeting the requirements of European Standards EN 45013 and EN 473, and international standard ISO 9712."

My question is that since in Canada we are ISO 4712, could I apply to receive this qualifications? Also is this Cerification similar to ASNT TC-1A from the USA?

Cheerios,

Michel

: PCN stands for "Personnel Certification in Non-Destructive Testing". I added the term with explanation to the NDT Encyclopedia here: www.ndt.net/ndtaz/ndtaz.php?id=700
: I would like to remember that everybody of the forum members have access to the Encyclopedia to enter new terms or write comments for existing terms.
: Rolf
: : I visited the BINDT site and still don't know what PCN stands for. Can someone tells me?

00:41 Jun-26-2008

Joe Buckley

Consultant, ASNT L-III, Honorary Secretary of BINDT
Level X NDT, BINDT,
United Kingdom,
Joined Oct 1999
Re: PCN? Michel

You can't receive a PCN certificate without taking the PCN exams, but you can as a Canadian certificate holder be approved as equivalent for Pressure equipment work

www.bindt.org/downloads/PED19.doc

May be useful

SNT-TC-IA is very different, and not necessarily equivalent.

Joe

: Hi Rolf,
: This answer my question, but also bring out more. You state in the Encyclopedia and read the same on the BINDT site: "The PCN scheme, an internationally recognised scheme for the certification competence of NDT personnel, is accredited as meeting the requirements of European Standards EN 45013 and EN 473, and international standard ISO 9712."
: My question is that since in Canada we are ISO 4712, could I apply to receive this qualifications? Also is this Cerification similar to ASNT TC-1A from the USA?
: Cheerios,
: Michel
:
: : PCN stands for "Personnel Certification in Non-Destructive Testing". I added the term with explanation to the NDT Encyclopedia here: www.ndt.net/ndtaz/ndtaz.php?id=700
: : I would like to remember that everybody of the forum members have access to the Encyclopedia to enter new terms or write comments for existing terms.
: : Rolf
: : : I visited the BINDT site and still don't know what PCN stands for. Can someone tells me?

03:22 Jun-26-2008

Michel Couture

NDT Inspector,
consultant,
Canada,
Joined Sep 2006
Re: PCN? So would there be a place in Canada or the US where I could write the exams? And what is the difference between the EN473, PCN and CSWIP?

Michel

: Michel
: You can't receive a PCN certificate without taking the PCN exams, but you can as a Canadian certificate holder be approved as equivalent for Pressure equipment work
: www.bindt.org/downloads/PED19.doc
: May be useful
: SNT-TC-IA is very different, and not necessarily equivalent.
: Joe
:
: : Hi Rolf,
: : This answer my question, but also bring out more. You state in the Encyclopedia and read the same on the BINDT site: "The PCN scheme, an internationally recognised scheme for the certification competence of NDT personnel, is accredited as meeting the requirements of European Standards EN 45013 and EN 473, and international standard ISO 9712."
: : My question is that since in Canada we are ISO 4712, could I apply to receive this qualifications? Also is this Cerification similar to ASNT TC-1A from the USA?
: : Cheerios,
: : Michel
: :
: : : PCN stands for "Personnel Certification in Non-Destructive Testing". I added the term with explanation to the NDT Encyclopedia here: www.ndt.net/ndtaz/ndtaz.php?id=700
: : : I would like to remember that everybody of the forum members have access to the Encyclopedia to enter new terms or write comments for existing terms.
: : : Rolf
: : : : I visited the BINDT site and still don't know what PCN stands for. Can someone tells me?

03:07 Jun-26-2008

Dermot

Consultant, level 3 aerospace
Lufthansa Technik Airmotive Ireland,
Ireland,
Joined Oct 2007
Re: PCN? ----------- Start Original Message -----------

Hi
'personnel certification in NDT'
As a level III for the past 20 years or so, this was burned into my head but in an attempt to satisfy your query I had a look at my certs and anywhere I could think of but, alas the cupboard was bare.
hope this helps,
regrads,
Dermot

07:43 Jun-27-2008

Rohit Bafna

TCR Engineering Services,
India,
Joined Sep 2007
Re: PCN? It stands for
Personnel Certification in Non-Destructive Testing

Rohit Bafna
www.tcr-arabia.com

12:49 Jul-09-2016
Isaac Chavez
Re: PCN? In Reply to Michel Couture at 03:22 Jun-26-2008 .

Lavender International Located in Houston TX. I believe Is the only one in the USA to offer the PCN training and testing scheme. My email ISAAC.CHAVEZ@MISTRASGROUP.COM if you would like more info on lavender. hope this helps.

08:11 Jul-10-2016
Charlie Jackson
Re: PCN? In Reply to Michel Couture at 07:33 Jun-25-2008 (Opening).

Michel

Unless you feel the need to hold PCN qualifications there is no need as long as your present qualifications are ISO 9712 approved.
Having been in the industry for 40+years and currently holding CSWIP, PCN and ASNT qualifications I have to admit we carry the certs because we have to. I would suggest you satisfy the standard you are using with regard to qualification and if you need to change for your job do it then.
Regards
Charlie

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|