where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

PBP Optel sp. z o.o.
Weare searching new ways - in ultrasonic techniques- in creation of new productsUltrasonic instruments - Ultrasonic Testing Card
Career Discussions
Gisli Arnar Guðmundsson
Gisli Arnar Guðmundsson
01:50 Jul-11-2008
Gas detector

I am in need of buying gas detector, I found one called Gas Alert Extreme. When purchasing one i have to choose which gas i want him to detect, and the price goes up as adding them. Can you tell me which gas is absoulute neccessary ( others than O2 :-) and others that are not depending on my work which is oiltanks and chainlockers.

Thanks

Gisli

mj
mj
01:10 Jul-12-2008
Re: Gas detector
----------- Start Original Message -----------
: I am in need of buying gas detector, I found one called Gas Alert Extreme. When purchasing one i have to choose which gas i want him to detect, and the price goes up as adding them. Can you tell me which gas is absoulute neccessary ( others than O2 :-) and others that are not depending on my work which is oiltanks and chainlockers.
: Thanks
: Gisli
------------ End Original Message ------------
Dear Gisli,

you may buy H2S gas detector for working near oil tanks

Cailean Forrester
Director
United Kingdom, Joined Mar 2008, 25

Cailean Forrester

Director
United Kingdom,
Joined Mar 2008
04:07 Jul-12-2008
: : I am in need of buying gas detector, I found one called Gas Alert Extreme. When purchasing one i have to choose which gas i want him to detect, and the price goes up as adding them. Can you tell me which gas is absoulute neccessary ( others than O2 :-) and others that are not depending on my work which is oiltanks and chainlockers.
: : Thanks
: : Gisli
: Dear Gisli,
: you may buy H2S gas detector for working near oil tanks
Dear Gisli
The BW Extreme is a very good value unit and apart from an O3 sensor given your intended working places would seem the most appropriate - I suppose it just depend how you value your life - also remember that these units will only detect once they sense the gas and if you are wearing it at the bottom of tank then that might a bit late.
I would suggest you seek support to do proper risk assessment and get gas detectors with pumps that can take samples from many metres away from you prior to entry.

Tom Gibb
Consultant, -
Datanet Engineering, Inc., USA, Joined Jun 2008, 42

Tom Gibb

Consultant, -
Datanet Engineering, Inc.,
USA,
Joined Jun 2008
09:13 Jul-23-2008
Gisli,

The first step is to review the purpose of the detector.
1. Is it for personal safety? If so, then see Cailean Forrester's message. We use a minimum of four gas sensors: O2, LEL, H2S, and CO They are all very important at most project sites.
2. Is it for process control? Then you must determine what needs to be detected and when the response is to occur.

In short, to provide advice more information is needed.

Tom

: I am in need of buying gas detector, I found one called Gas Alert Extreme. When purchasing one i have to choose which gas i want him to detect, and the price goes up as adding them. Can you tell me which gas is absoulute neccessary ( others than O2 :-) and others that are not depending on my work which is oiltanks and chainlockers.
: Thanks
: Gisli

Product Spotlight

Robotic laser shearography enables 100% inspection of complex, flight-critical composite structures

An article in “Composites World Magazine” showcases Non Destructive Testing of aero-structures
with Laser Shearography. Over the years Dantec Dynamics has supplied many solutions for the aerospace industry. Referring to specific customer projects several of these cases are examined to outline the advantages of using Laser Shearography for automated defect detection.
>

IRIS 9000Plus - Introducing the next generation of heat exchanger inspection.

Representing the seventh generation of the IRIS system, the IRIS 9000 Plus has nearly 200 years of c
ombined field inspection experience incorporated in its design. This experience combined with a strong commitment to quality and a history of innovation has made Iris Inspection Services® the undisputed leader in IRIS technology.
>

Ultrasonic Testing Immersion Tanks with Unmatched Scanning Features

TecScan’s non-destructive testing Ultrasonic Immersion Tanks & scanners are designed for high pe
rformance and demanding NDT testing applications. Our Scan3D™ line of High Precision Immersion Tanks are specifically designed for automated ultrasonic testing of complex composites parts used in aerospace and industrial applications.
>

NDT Master Lecturer

In the program both university professors and practitioners will give lectures, which guarantees the
oretical depth and practical inside. Academic Director: Prof. Dr. Christian Boller
The following lecturers are not complete: Prof. Tadeusz Stepinski, Prof. Wieslaw Staszewski, Prof. Frank Walther, Prof. Giovanni Bruno, Prof. Gerd Dobmann, Prof. Philippe Guy
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window