where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions
Career Discussions >
Gas detector
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

01:50 Jul-11-2008
Gisli Arnar Guðmundsson
Gas detector

I am in need of buying gas detector, I found one called Gas Alert Extreme. When purchasing one i have to choose which gas i want him to detect, and the price goes up as adding them. Can you tell me which gas is absoulute neccessary ( others than O2 :-) and others that are not depending on my work which is oiltanks and chainlockers.

Thanks

Gisli

01:10 Jul-12-2008
mj
Re: Gas detector ----------- Start Original Message -----------
: I am in need of buying gas detector, I found one called Gas Alert Extreme. When purchasing one i have to choose which gas i want him to detect, and the price goes up as adding them. Can you tell me which gas is absoulute neccessary ( others than O2 :-) and others that are not depending on my work which is oiltanks and chainlockers.
: Thanks
: Gisli
------------ End Original Message ------------
Dear Gisli,

you may buy H2S gas detector for working near oil tanks

04:07 Jul-12-2008

Cailean Forrester

Director
United Kingdom,
Joined Mar 2008
Re: Gas detector ----------- Start Original Message -----------
: : I am in need of buying gas detector, I found one called Gas Alert Extreme. When purchasing one i have to choose which gas i want him to detect, and the price goes up as adding them. Can you tell me which gas is absoulute neccessary ( others than O2 :-) and others that are not depending on my work which is oiltanks and chainlockers.
: : Thanks
: : Gisli
: Dear Gisli,
: you may buy H2S gas detector for working near oil tanks
Dear Gisli
The BW Extreme is a very good value unit and apart from an O3 sensor given your intended working places would seem the most appropriate - I suppose it just depend how you value your life - also remember that these units will only detect once they sense the gas and if you are wearing it at the bottom of tank then that might a bit late.
I would suggest you seek support to do proper risk assessment and get gas detectors with pumps that can take samples from many metres away from you prior to entry.

09:13 Jul-23-2008

Tom Gibb

Consultant, -
Datanet Engineering, Inc.,
USA,
Joined Jun 2008
Re: Gas detector Gisli,

The first step is to review the purpose of the detector.
1. Is it for personal safety? If so, then see Cailean Forrester's message. We use a minimum of four gas sensors: O2, LEL, H2S, and CO They are all very important at most project sites.
2. Is it for process control? Then you must determine what needs to be detected and when the response is to occur.

In short, to provide advice more information is needed.

Tom

----------- Start Original Message -----------
: I am in need of buying gas detector, I found one called Gas Alert Extreme. When purchasing one i have to choose which gas i want him to detect, and the price goes up as adding them. Can you tell me which gas is absoulute neccessary ( others than O2 :-) and others that are not depending on my work which is oiltanks and chainlockers.
: Thanks
: Gisli

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|