where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions
Career Discussions >
ASNT Ethics Violations
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

04:23 Jul-19-2008
John Doe
ASNT Ethics Violations

I have a situation where I discovered an ASNT NDT Levle III falsifying NDT results. How can I report him withut getting Project specific. I have undeniable evidence to support this.

It was not the end useer's fault so I don't want to cause problems for him.

I gave him and his company ample time to resolve this but they are hoping I will go away apparently. The person accepted NDT data that had bad data in some reports and weld defects in others. He accepted all of them.

01:29 Jul-20-2008
tureorfalse
Re: ASNT Ethics Violations have an independent third party to check the NDT results and compare with the falsified reports and then sue the company afterwards or complain that level III to the company he is working for so he can get sacked.

----------- Start Original Message -----------
: I have a situation where I discovered an ASNT NDT Levle III falsifying NDT results. How can I report him withut getting Project specific. I have undeniable evidence to support this.
: It was not the end useer's fault so I don't want to cause problems for him.
: I gave him and his company ample time to resolve this but they are hoping I will go away apparently. The person accepted NDT data that had bad data in some reports and weld defects in others. He accepted all of them.
------------ End Original Message ------------

06:41 Jul-21-2008

S.V.Swamy

Engineering, - Material Testing Inspection & Quality Control
Retired from Nuclear Fuel Complex ,
India,
Joined Feb 2001
Re: ASNT Ethics Violations ----------- Start Original Message -----------
: I have a situation where I discovered an ASNT NDT Levle III falsifying NDT results. How can I report him withut getting Project specific. I have undeniable evidence to support this.
: I gave him and his company ample time to resolve this but they are hoping I will go away apparently. The person accepted NDT data that had bad data in some reports and weld defects in others. He accepted all of them.

You can report to the ASNT Ethics Committee. You may find more details from ASNT website.

Swamy

08:09 Aug-10-2008
Madan L Sharma
Re: ASNT Ethics Violations These defects,may cause some serious failures.If you know, something is wrong, confront and resolve, with concerned ASNT Level III and end user.Finally the end user is going to be in problem, if any accident happens.You have social responsibility also,please act.ASNT is there to make world safe and support, and weed out the bad elements.You can initiate discussion with ASNT too.But first correct the situation for users.With best wishes.

MLS

01:48 Aug-12-2008
A.Madi
Re: ASNT Ethics Violations May be the NDT level III got a false certificate and he don´t know what he
doing , Go ahead and send the evidence to the final user, because in the
future
you will be in problems if something happened.

A. Madi

04:42 Aug-21-2008
Gerald Newell
Re: ASNT Ethics Violations I would advise double checking your information against the relevant codes and project specifications. I would also review your information again. If at the end of that review it is incontrovertible then I would contact ASNT through their web site and proceed with instructions for ethics violation reporting. Be aware it is not something to be taken lightly, if in fact he has done as you say, something must be done about it. Any certification be it PCN, AWS, API, ASNT, etc is only as good as the integrity of the person who holds it. If that person lacks the requisite integrity, he or she should rightly lose that certification.

Regards,
Gerald Newell
ASNT III VT, MT, PT, UT
AWS CWI

: These defects,may cause some serious failures.If you know, something is wrong, confront and resolve, with concerned ASNT Level III and end user.Finally the end user is going to be in problem, if any accident happens.You have social responsibility also,please act.ASNT is there to make world safe and support, and weed out the bad elements.You can initiate discussion with ASNT too.But first correct the situation for users.With best wishes.
: MLS
: : I have a situation where I discovered an ASNT NDT Levle III falsifying NDT results. How can I report him withut getting Project specific. I have undeniable evidence to support this.
: : It was not the end useer's fault so I don't want to cause problems for him.
: : I gave him and his company ample time to resolve this but they are hoping I will go away apparently. The person accepted NDT data that had bad data in some reports and weld defects in others. He accepted all of them.

05:35 Aug-21-2008
John Doe
Re: ASNT Ethics Violations Thanks for the advice but I already checked. This individual came to site after I rejected some TOFD data for having a bad cable. We held a meeting where he agreed with me and that is minuted. Then he went back to his office and wrote a report that supported the contractor (his client) and said nothing needed to be done. 2 of these welds had 8mm ID mismatch. The rest had severe electrical interference due ot the bad cable and needed rescanning. This is in high temp hydrocarbon service and could result in a catostophic failure. This individual did this willingly and knowingly. I have already contacted ASNT. I'm going to push this as far as I can.

: I would advise double checking your information against the relevant codes and project specifications. I would also review your information again. If at the end of that review it is incontrovertible then I would contact ASNT through their web site and proceed with instructions for ethics violation reporting. Be aware it is not something to be taken lightly, if in fact he has done as you say, something must be done about it. Any certification be it PCN, AWS, API, ASNT, etc is only as good as the integrity of the person who holds it. If that person lacks the requisite integrity, he or she should rightly lose that certification.
: Regards,
: Gerald Newell
: ASNT III VT, MT, PT, UT
: AWS CWI
:
: : These defects,may cause some serious failures.If you know, something is wrong, confront and resolve, with concerned ASNT Level III and end user.Finally the end user is going to be in problem, if any accident happens.You have social responsibility also,please act.ASNT is there to make world safe and support, and weed out the bad elements.You can initiate discussion with ASNT too.But first correct the situation for users.With best wishes.
: : MLS
: : : I have a situation where I discovered an ASNT NDT Levle III falsifying NDT results. How can I report him withut getting Project specific. I have undeniable evidence to support this.
: : : It was not the end useer's fault so I don't want to cause problems for him.
: : : I gave him and his company ample time to resolve this but they are hoping I will go away apparently. The person accepted NDT data that had bad data in some reports and weld defects in others. He accepted all of them.

00:06 Jul-30-2014
Walker
Re: ASNT Ethics Violations In Reply to John Doe at 05:35 Aug-21-2008 .

What industry are you in? There are federal agencies that investigate this type of willful behavior and may take it to criminal charges.

12:33 Jul-30-2014

Steven Doc

Other, Quality Manager
Siemens Energy,
Egypt,
Joined Feb 2011
Re: ASNT Ethics Violations In Reply to John Doe at 05:35 Aug-21-2008 .

This is in embarrassment of a thread, in my opinion. More interested in blading an individual than exposing the situation openly. Yeah ethics indeed.
Massive shock that NDT Consultant backs his client? If the OP is the higher authority the issue should be easily resolvable. If the OP is not the higher authority, report yer findings and suck it up that someone can override your opinion.

Im at a loss to understand why a scan with electrical interference could lead to catastrophic failure in High Temp Hydrocarbon Service.

You guys on this thread are plotting on how to remove an individuals ability to earn.

17:43 Jul-30-2014

Frank Lund

R & D,
United Kingdom,
Joined Apr 2005
Re: ASNT Ethics Violations In Reply to Steven Doc at 12:33 Jul-30-2014 .

"Im at a loss to understand why a scan with electrical interference could lead to catastrophic failure in High Temp Hydrocarbon Service."

If the interference prevented inspection or masked defect signals, there could be failure.

I recall hearing that the rail at Hatfield was not inspectable due to "lack of back echo". I understand that that was due to the presence of Rolling Contact Fatigue defects in the rail head that stopped the UT wavefront from propagating into the rail.

18:03 Jul-30-2014

Steven Doc

Other, Quality Manager
Siemens Energy,
Egypt,
Joined Feb 2011
Re: ASNT Ethics Violations In Reply to Frank Lund at 17:43 Jul-30-2014 .

Frank,
I can't comment on Hatfield, but to say that every incorrect Inspection could lead to catastrophic failure is being just a wee bit melodramatic. Every pore accepted by every standard could also lead to catastrophic failure if we want to go down that road.
My point is that the OP reads like someone who is on a witch hunt because his opinion was questioned. Wants to report the man, but not cause problems for the end user? The end user could be endorsing Plant & Equipment that perhaps they wouldn't if this issue was raised.
Its simple, if you have scans that you believe don't conform, raise an NCR. No need for the other circus act.

11:56 Aug-09-2014

Gaurav

Engineering,
MSL,
Thailand,
Joined Dec 2012
Re: ASNT Ethics Violations In Reply to Steven Doc at 18:03 Jul-30-2014 .

John,
I think what Mr. Steve Suggested is quite reasonable( Raising a NCR ) and i think the right way to deal with this kind of situation.
We are technical professionals and better to solve the things technically.

And as you know, what you doing is right and confident for that , let him provide you some technical clarification to close your NCR. and there you can pull the neck of the Bottle.

Thanks
GK

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|