where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions
Career Discussions >
Radiography Questions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

02:09 Jul-31-2008
John Galt
Radiography Questions

I have a couple of questions about RT, hopefully someone will be able to help me out:

At my work we use sheets of film that we process by putting them on hangers, I read somewhere about rolls of film being used by some ndt companies instead of sheets on hangers, could some explain this? Do many ndt companies use these instead of hangers?

In Canada, we send our TLD badges bi-weekly to the gov't, who monitor our radiation doses, if a worker goes to another country, how is his dosage monitored then?

Thanks in advance for your help and advice!

02:34 Jul-31-2008
tj
Re: Radiography Questions ----------- Start Original Message -----------
: I have a couple of questions about RT, hopefully someone will be able to help me out:
: At my work we use sheets of film that we process by putting them on hangers, I read somewhere about rolls of film being used by some ndt companies instead of sheets on hangers, could some explain this? Do many ndt companies use these instead of hangers?
: In Canada, we send our TLD badges bi-weekly to the gov't, who monitor our radiation doses, if a worker goes to another country, how is his dosage monitored then?
: Thanks in advance for your help and advice!
------------ End Original Message ------------
John,
I believe what you are talikng about is called Rollpack film. There are many applications where this film is more convienient and there are also many where it is not. It is not likely that it would replace your "sheet film" unless you are very limited in application.

As for dosimetry, your company should have procedures that reference government standards for radiation protection. In my case I send in a standard film badge every month. If it were a TLD it would be every 3 months. These are maximums of course. These standards should apply unless employed in different country or region (state) with different regulations.

09:30 Jul-31-2008

Michel

NDT Inspector,
consultant,
Canada,
Joined Sep 2006
Re: Radiography Questions Hi John,

Just to add to TJ's response. Rollpack is used also in Canada. I guess it depends on the part of the industry you're in. This roll pack is very convenient for RE on pipes. You're weld prep and HAZ never really change, but your pipe diameter does. So, this way, you just have to cut it to lenght and still place it on hangars for processing.

Regarding TLDs, yes in Canada a branch of our government monitor our doses and if you work for a "good company" they will make arrangement to monitor your dose outside of the country and have it added to your dose at home. Personnally, I had to work at Bruce power this year and when we filled out the paperwork for access and TLD, they requested a dose count from my employer even if I worked at the Bruce before and I had my dosimetry number with Bruce Power.

Cheerios,
Michel

----------- Start Original Message -----------
: I have a couple of questions about RT, hopefully someone will be able to help me out:
: At my work we use sheets of film that we process by putting them on hangers, I read somewhere about rolls of film being used by some ndt companies instead of sheets on hangers, could some explain this? Do many ndt companies use these instead of hangers?
: In Canada, we send our TLD badges bi-weekly to the gov't, who monitor our radiation doses, if a worker goes to another country, how is his dosage monitored then?
: Thanks in advance for your help and advice!
------------ End Original Message ------------

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|