where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

Volume Graphics GmbH
Leading industrial companies around the world look for defects in their products using Volume Graphics software.

Technical Discussions
Mario Belo
NDT Inspection
Trenes Buenos Aires, Argentina, Joined Jan 2000, 7

Mario Belo

NDT Inspection
Trenes Buenos Aires,
Argentina,
Joined Jan 2000
03:00 Oct-24-2000
Doubt

Dear experts:
I would like to know, in what cases I should use the small screw located inside the control of gain of my USM 2?
does it cause some anormality to manipulate it?

Kind regards,

Mario Belo

Udo Schlengermann
Consultant, -
Standards Consulting, Germany, Joined Nov 1998, 176

Udo Schlengermann

Consultant, -
Standards Consulting,
Germany,
Joined Nov 1998
09:25 Oct-25-2000
Re: Doubt
reply by Udo Schlengermann

Hello,

We are proud to see an instrument which is more than 20 years out of production in operation:
The USM2 had a calibrated decibel-attenuator (gain) stepped in 2-dB-steps.
To set an echo from a reference reflector exactly to a reference line an additional uncalibrated gain is necessary, if the 2-dB-steps do not fit exactly.
This uncalibrated gain is changed by the screw inside the dB-knob.
It's right position gives the maximum uncalibrated gain, it's left position the minimum uncalibrated gain.
Usually this uncalibrated gain should be set to its max-position.

Kind regards

Udo Schlengermann
+++++++

: Dear experts:
: I would like to know, in what cases I should use the small screw located inside the control of gain of my USM 2?
: does it cause some anormality to manipulate it?
:
: Kind regards,
:
: Mario Belo

Bill Waldron
Sales
GE Inspection Technologies, USA, Joined Feb 2001, 2

Bill Waldron

Sales
GE Inspection Technologies,
USA,
Joined Feb 2001
02:48 Oct-25-2000
Re: Doubt
: Dear experts:
: I would like to know, in what cases I should use the small screw located inside the control of gain of my USM 2?
: does it cause some anormality to manipulate it?
:
: Kind regards,
:
: Mario Belo

Mario,
This screw gives 10 dB of gain adjustment and does not affect linearity. Its intended use is to provide a means to fine adjust an echo to a reference level.
(As the USM2 attenuator is in 2 dB steps, it may not be possible to get an echo to an exact level. In this case you would use the small screw adjustment to fine tune the gain level.
Bill Waldron

Product Spotlight

NDTkit RT

NDTkit RT, TESTIA's Digital Radiography software The NDTkit product line software for X-ray analysi
s. NDTkit RT is a software benefiting from the Ultis kernel which is dedicated to radiographic image analysis. It offers a set of tools and filtering processes to assist RT operators in finding relevant flaws.
>

XRHRobotStar

In high volume industries like automotive the requirement for a hundred percent X-ray inspection c
reates a bottleneck in the production. The XRHRobotStar is a fully Automated Defect Recognition (ADR) capable robot-system that allows an ultra-fast in-line inspection.
>

NEW - TD Focus-ScanRX

The NEW Next Generation Advanced UT platform, TD Focus ScanRX - Also available as a card stack solut
ion. Key Improvements 1. Data acquisition is significantly faster than current design 2. Better aesthetic – closely aligns with HandyScan RX 3. Improved IP rating (Target IP66) 4. Ruggedized housing 5. Connectors are protected from impact and ingress 6. Integrated stand and separate retractable handle easy to keep clean) 7. Touchscreen with ruggedized display glass 8. 3-Axis encoder input
>

NDT Master Lecturer

In the program both university professors and practitioners will give lectures, which guarantees the
oretical depth and practical inside. Academic Director: Prof. Dr. Christian Boller
The following lecturers are not complete: Prof. Tadeusz Stepinski, Prof. Wieslaw Staszewski, Prof. Frank Walther, Prof. Giovanni Bruno, Prof. Gerd Dobmann, Prof. Philippe Guy
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window