where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
Ultrasonic tress meter
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

01:08 Oct-24-2000
Pavel Pauliny
Ultrasonic tress meter

We are looking for manufacture company for Ultrasonic tress meter for measurement of hoop residual stress in monoblock railway wheels.

02:20 Oct-24-2000

Pavel Pauliny (Rolf Diederichs)

Director
PP-Kontroltech,
Slovak Republic,
Joined Oct 2000
Re: Ultrasonic tress meter Dear Forum Members,

it is important to enter without spelling errors your email address.
The Forum profile of Pavel Pauliny was registered with the email address "pauliny@ba.telekom.sk".
But in his first message Pavel Pauliny used "pauliny@ba.telecom.sk" as email address,
thus the database could not recognize the correct Forum profile.

Rolf Diederichs

-------------
: We are looking for manufacture company for Ultrasonic tress meter for measurement of hoop residual stress in monoblock railway wheels.

00:02 Oct-25-2000
Dave Wilkes
Re: Ultrasonic tress meter

07:23 Oct-26-2000

Godfrey Hands

Engineering,
PRI Nadcap,
United Kingdom,
Joined Nov 1998
Re: Ultrasonic tress meter : We are looking for manufacture company for Ultrasonic tress meter for measurement of hoop residual stress in monoblock railway wheels.

Hi.
We represent Quasar International Inc. in the United Kingdom (and through much of Europe).
Their RI-2000 instrument measures compressive Residual Stresses in many components, such as Bearing Elements, Turbine Disks, Railway Wheels etc.

They have also used this equipment sucessfully in detecting fatigue cracks in Railway Wheels.

Please email me for more information, or see our web pages.

Godfrey@hands-ndt.co.uk
www.hands-ndt.co.uk

Regards,

Godfrey Hands

07:57 Oct-26-2000

Dave Utrata

R & D,
Center for NDE, Iowa State University,
USA,
Joined Feb 2000
Re: Ultrasonic tress meter : We are looking for manufacture company for Ultrasonic tress meter for measurement of hoop residual stress in monoblock railway wheels.

The Fraunhofer Institute in Saarbrucken has developed a device based on UT to measure such stresses; if you contact them, give my reagrds to Eckhardt Schneider, the gentleman you should talk to on this matter.

The Polish Academy of Sciences also developed a device along similar principles, but it did not evolve into such a comprehensive package as the German device. However, I personally found this device quite useful and portable in my previous work. The gentleman to talk to there is Jacek Szelazek. Again, give my regards should you contact him.

I must also confess that the suggestion of using RI techniques, as suggested in another response posted here, truly surprises me. I am very suspicious of claims to determine residual stresses in railway wheels by this method, particularly keeping in mind the other changes, metallurgical and geometric, that wheels go through during service.

Regards,
Dave Utrata

p.s. here are two e-mail addresses for the gentlemen I indicated:

schneider@izfp.fhg.de
jszela@ippt.gov.pl

09:52 Oct-26-2000

Rolf Diederichs

Director, Editor, Publisher, Internet, PHP MySQL
NDT.net,
Germany,
Joined Nov 1998
Re: Ultrasonic tress meter Eckhardt Schneider is member of this forum, so he may listen our talks.
His profile provides a query to his 6 published articles currently on this server.
For example: Ultrasonic Evaluation of Stresses in the Rims of Railroad Wheels
http://www.ndt.net/article/ecndt98/rail/306/306.htm

Rolf Diederichs

-----------
: : We are looking for manufacture company for Ultrasonic tress meter for measurement of hoop residual stress in monoblock railway wheels.

: The Fraunhofer Institute in Saarbrucken has developed a device based on UT to measure such stresses; if you contact them, give my reagrds to Eckhardt Schneider, the gentleman you should talk to on this matter.

: The Polish Academy of Sciences also developed a device along similar principles, but it did not evolve into such a comprehensive package as the German device. However, I personally found this device quite useful and portable in my previous work. The gentleman to talk to there is Jacek Szelazek. Again, give my regards should you contact him.

: I must also confess that the suggestion of using RI techniques, as suggested in another response posted here, truly surprises me. I am very suspicious of claims to determine residual stresses in railway wheels by this method, particularly keeping in mind the other changes, metallurgical and geometric, that wheels go through during service.

: Regards,
: Dave Utrata

: p.s. here are two e-mail addresses for the gentlemen I indicated:

: schneider@izfp.fhg.de
: jszela@ippt.gov.pl

08:26 Oct-27-2000

Godfrey Hands

Engineering,
PRI Nadcap,
United Kingdom,
Joined Nov 1998
Re: Ultrasonic tress meter : Eckhardt Schneider is member of this forum, so he may listen our talks.
: His profile provides a query to his 6 published articles currently on this server.
: For example: Ultrasonic Evaluation of Stresses in the Rims of Railroad Wheels
: http://www.ndt.net/article/ecndt98/rail/306/306.htm

: Rolf Diederichs

: -----------
: : : We are looking for manufacture company for Ultrasonic tress meter for measurement of hoop residual stress in monoblock railway wheels.

: : The Fraunhofer Institute in Saarbrucken has developed a device based on UT to measure such stresses; if you contact them, give my reagrds to Eckhardt Schneider, the gentleman you should talk to on this matter.

: : The Polish Academy of Sciences also developed a device along similar principles, but it did not evolve into such a comprehensive package as the German device. However, I personally found this device quite useful and portable in my previous work. The gentleman to talk to there is Jacek Szelazek. Again, give my regards should you contact him.

: : I must also confess that the suggestion of using RI techniques, as suggested in another response posted here, truly surprises me. I am very suspicious of claims to determine residual stresses in railway wheels by this method, particularly keeping in mind the other changes, metallurgical and geometric, that wheels go through during service.

: : Regards,
: : Dave Utrata

: : p.s. here are two e-mail addresses for the gentlemen I indicated:

: : schneider@izfp.fhg.de
: : jszela@ippt.gov.pl

Hi,
In reply to the surprise that Resonant Inspection can determine levels of residual stress in railroad wheels, I would like to add the following comments.

Normal Resonant Inspection, where the wheel is excited with a hammer (wheel tapping) will definitely be influenced by such factors as geometric and metallurgical changes.
The Quasar Resonant Inspection system uses the mathematical relationships between several different (modes of) resonances to compensate for these other changes.
This means that our measurements are largely not influenced by these otherwise interfering changes.
These methods are patented by Quasar.

Regards,

Godfrey Hands

09:23 Oct-27-2000

Massimo Carminati

Consultant
procontrol,
Italy,
Joined Jul 2000

I'm the Quasar Development Engineer for Italy and I would like to confirm Mr. Godfrey Hands suggestions, because I have had some promising results on these items too. About geometric variations during service, it is a very good argument, but, for example, the diameter reduction caused by wearing, will affect only the resonance frequencies related to the wheel race.

For more informations please contact also

Jim Schwarz Jim@quasarintl.com
Robert H. Nath Bob@quasarintl.com

01:29 Nov-03-2000

Dave Utrata

R & D,
Center for NDE, Iowa State University,
USA,
Joined Feb 2000
Re: Ultrasonic tress meter : Hi,
: In reply to the surprise that Resonant Inspection can determine levels of residual stress in railroad wheels, I would like to add the following comments.

: Normal Resonant Inspection, where the wheel is excited with a hammer (wheel tapping) will definitely be influenced by such factors as geometric and metallurgical changes.
: The Quasar Resonant Inspection system uses the mathematical relationships between several different (modes of) resonances to compensate for these other changes.
: This means that our measurements are largely not influenced by these otherwise interfering changes.
: These methods are patented by Quasar.

: Regards,

: Godfrey Hands

With all respect, I am still skeptical that resonant inspection could do much more than provide a go/no-go interpretation of (hoop) stress in railroad wheels. Previous work that I was involved with indicated that both surface readings and a bulk reading would be necessary to render a full picture of the state of stress in wheels. In such a manner, the bulk effects of a stress gradient could be weighed by how high of a stress was concentrated toward the front or rear rim face. The consequences of knowing how stress is distributred in a wheel rim is as important as knowing how much "total" hoop stress is present.

07:50 Dec-06-2006
Arnulfo
Anton 5e6a9d3147aa

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|