where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions
Career Discussions >
NDT PROCEDUCE
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

04:49 Aug-11-2008

HUNG

NDT Inspector, -
NDT shop,
Vietnam,
Joined Aug 2008
NDT PROCEDUCE

in according to AMM;CMM. the part(ex: tie bolt) required FPI but there is not NDT instruction. during perfomed this task i usually refered ASTM Proceduce or SOPM instruction. in your idear is it correct or incorrect? Need i require NDT level iii writing NDT instruction for me or not?
thank's.

03:13 Aug-18-2008
Mike Fortman
Re: NDT PROCEDUCE ----------- Start Original Message -----------
: in according to AMM;CMM. the part(ex: tie bolt) required FPI but there is not NDT instruction. during perfomed this task i usually refered ASTM Proceduce or SOPM instruction. in your idear is it correct or incorrect? Need i require NDT level iii writing NDT instruction for me or not?
: thank's.
------------ End Original Message ------------

Hello Mr. Hung,

I beleive you are referring to aircraft wheel tie bolt inspection according to the aircraft maintenance manual (AMM) or component maintenance manual (CMM).

It is unusual for the tie bolts to require FPI. Most require magnetic particle (MPI). In my experience, if no specification is listed, the ASTM (in this case, E1417) is usually an acceptable procedure.

The best thing to do is contact the wheel manufacturer and ask what spec to use.

Please contact me via e-mail if you'd like to discuss further.

Mike

01:42 Aug-19-2008

nelson

Engineering, QAQC MECHANICAL ENGINEER
HYUNDAI ENGINEERING & CONSTRUCTION CO.LTD,
Philippines,
Joined Feb 2008
Re: NDT PROCEDUCE ----------- Start Original Message -----------
: : in according to AMM;CMM. the part(ex: tie bolt) required FPI but there is not NDT instruction. during perfomed this task i usually refered ASTM Proceduce or SOPM instruction. in your idear is it correct or incorrect? Need i require NDT level iii writing NDT instruction for me or not?
: : thank's.
: Hello Mr. Hung,
: I beleive you are referring to aircraft wheel tie bolt inspection according to the aircraft maintenance manual (AMM) or component maintenance manual (CMM).
: It is unusual for the tie bolts to require FPI. Most require magnetic particle (MPI). In my experience, if no specification is listed, the ASTM (in this case, E1417) is usually an acceptable procedure.
: The best thing to do is contact the wheel manufacturer and ask what spec to use.
: Please contact me via e-mail if you'd like to discuss further.
: Mike

not necessarily that you need ndt procedure for ndt level 3,most important is you know the best ndt method for detectecting defects for tie bolts.you can apply astm the most possible method you can used is magnetic particle inspection.

07:06 Aug-19-2008

Michel Couture

NDT Inspector,
consultant,
Canada,
Joined Sep 2006
Re: NDT PROCEDUCE Gentlemen,

If I may put my two cents worth on this subject. Regarding NDT on aircraft, most manufacturer will have an NDT manual where all the procedures related for the type of aircraft are listed. When it comes to MPI and LPI, Boeing doens't include the procedures for these method in their NDT book, but in the SOP book. Another scenarios that I have seen is that since the wheel are manufactured by someone else (ie not Boeing or Airbus), the procedure for inspecting the wheel and its component most likely will be found in the overhaul manufacturer's manual (ie BF Goodrich).

Hope this can be of help.
Michel

----------- Start Original Message -----------
: : : in according to AMM;CMM. the part(ex: tie bolt) required FPI but there is not NDT instruction. during perfomed this task i usually refered ASTM Proceduce or SOPM instruction. in your idear is it correct or incorrect? Need i require NDT level iii writing NDT instruction for me or not?
: : : thank's.
: : Hello Mr. Hung,
: : I beleive you are referring to aircraft wheel tie bolt inspection according to the aircraft maintenance manual (AMM) or component maintenance manual (CMM).
: : It is unusual for the tie bolts to require FPI. Most require magnetic particle (MPI). In my experience, if no specification is listed, the ASTM (in this case, E1417) is usually an acceptable procedure.
: : The best thing to do is contact the wheel manufacturer and ask what spec to use.
: : Please contact me via e-mail if you'd like to discuss further.
: : Mike
: not necessarily that you need ndt procedure for ndt level 3,most important is you know the best ndt method for detectecting defects for tie bolts.you can apply astm the most possible method you can used is magnetic particle inspection.

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|